Muscle weight... maybe?

Options
Hey everyone,

So, everybody has a different opinion about weighing yourself. I used to go to Goodlife, and every single trainer I met with said to not bother getting on the scale. They told me that numbers are only discouraging and will de-motivate me. Each one has explained to me that muscle weighs more than fat and if I continue to build muscle I won't see the number on the scale change.

I haven't lost any weight in the last week even though I'm eating sooo much healthier than I used to (I ate so awful before) and getting a decent amount of exercise. I'm trying to do as much muscle training as cardio, but the number on the scale isn't changing. I know, I know - weight loss is a long journey and it doesn't happen overnight, but I'm wondering what the truth to "muscle weighs more than fat" is.

Numbers make me anxious and discouraged, but if I knew it was "good" weight then maybe I could rest easier, I guess.

Anyone know about this?

Replies

• Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    You're not the only one... Since I started mixing strength training and cardio I have lost an entire 3lbs (in 3 months!), BUT I have lost 24 inches and have dropped a clothing size.

Stay off the scale... it's just depressing if you're training!

Besides, no one is going to look at you on the street and see your weight tattooed to your forehead... they will see how fab and toned you look with mixing up the two exercises!
  • ryan92408
    Options
    Keep it up with the weight training, it makes all the difference in the world . . . I have learned from experience. Also, weigh less often than once a week -after a rest day. From what I have read your muscles tend to hang onto fluids after training to help with recovery which will affect what the scale is showing. Finally, don't expect to gain pounds of muscle at a time, it takes a while. . . good luck and hang in there, the scale is not always the best indicator of your progress.