Subway 6" flatbread or 6' wheat.....

Options
When you go to subway & get a sandwich, is it better to get wheat bread or flat bread? There is hardly a calorie difference. What do yall think??

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I usually get wheat because it's more filling lol. If I'm eating the same amount of calories why not actually be full!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    always whole grain, you feel fuller so much longer! <3
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I get wheat bread. It is good for you and it has fiber in it which is filling.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I personally disagree with the majority. I love the flatbread. I almost always get it. In a 6" there is only about 10 calories difference (higher in FB) so it's pretty much a non-issue. Get what you like.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Wheat bread - the flatbread is like eating the italian bread
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options

Do the Subway's around you have whole grain? The ones here certainly don't.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Wheat bread - the flatbread is like eating the italian bread

it's only about 10 calories higher than wheat. It says so on the vinyls on the case glass.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ....I just like the way it tastes more then flatbread lol.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The flatbread is "bigger", in that it weighs more. Has more sodium, less fiber, less sugar, less protein, more carbs and twice the fat when compared to the wheat bread. So it all depends on what you're looking for/watching in your eating plan.
  • jocordes
    jocordes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get their flatbread/wraps now since a friend pointed them out. Im not a fan of their rolls.
    Just wish they had more than white bread varietys for the wraps
  • chastitykelly
    chastitykelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The wheat has more nutrients and is more filling, for less calories. However, since it is so close, if you really like the taste of white bread (like me ;D) go ahead and get the flatbreat. It might keep you from cheating later! But, if I were you, I'd try to go for the wheat more often than the white because of the higher fiber content. I, too, eat at subway regularly, since it is the only place even remotely healthy near the university I attend, and I can't exactly go home, 65 miles away, to cook. I'm sure you know this, but the coldcut meats are very low in calories, and mustard has absolutely no calories at all. And turkey, mustard, tomatoe and lettus makes a great sandwhich on wheat or flatbread. lol

keep up the great work, doll! and if you want someone to diet with, hit me up and add me to your friends!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I usually get the wheat, i tried the flat bread, it was good, but it seemed like i was eating white bread & thats what i was tryin to stay away from. lol!
  • packerfan1
    packerfan1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go with the wheat bread its better for you.
  • chastitykelly
    chastitykelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you prefer the wheat, definitely go with the wheat! it's better for you anyway! :p
  • KekePruiett
    Options
    Wheat is EXTREMELY bad for you at Subway. A 6 inch 9 grain wheat is just like eating a 1 pound package of bacon. The minimum sodium requirement is about 1,500mg of sodium each day. This is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 mg per day and the wheat bread takes you to about 2,400! Yikes! But flat bread is the best choice and if you want a full tummy drink tons of water or eat celery (0 calories and package with H2O). Try out this blog and others, it will make your way of "eating fresh" Much healthier (;

> http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/06/12/food-babe-investigates-is-subway-real-food/
  • weightloser122
    Options
    i get flatbread cuz i like the taste more
  • broncojerry
    Options
    Great points all around. I often wondered about flat vs. wheat.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I agree that the wheat is "better" for you than the flatbread. I recently realized that you can get any sandwich made into a salad bowl. I had one the other day and it was awesome! Used spinach instead of lettuce and got turkey meat and all the veggies I wanted. I got an order of their guac for dressing. It was huge and really good. So, personally, when I dine at subway in the future, I'll be skipping the bread altogether.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I don't know where you live, but I know the Subway's near my in Wisconsin have 9-grain wheat... Which I believe is whole grain.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I don't know where you live, but I know the Subway's near my in Wisconsin have 9-grain wheat... Which I believe is whole grain.

Not quite. Check out this article:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/article/whats-really-…-subway-9-grain-wheat

Some highlights:

"the primary ingredient in this bread is plain old white flour, and high-fructose corn syrup"

"What, did you think that dark hue was the result of whole grains? Hardly. It's a combination of the ammonium sulfate and the caramel coloring."