Pedometer? and biking app!

Options
SO, I've been considering buying a pedometer to keep up with how many steps I'm taking daily, and aiming to add to it. How much should I try to add each day/week/month? Does anyone use pedometers? Are they useful? Do you feel like the $10 or so was worth buying it? I'm on a VERY limited budget and $10 means quite a bit to me right now, so I don't want to buy something that will be a complete waste of my money. Also, how many calories can you burn per how many steps? (so that I can know how to put it into my diary). I walk alot in the evenings for exercize, but I have no way to calculate exactly how many calories I'm burning, since my pace varies and I always forget to check the clock before.

Also, if any of you ride bikes and need an easy way to keep up with it, I've happened across an amazing iPhone app (i'm sure they have it for other smart phones as well) called Strava that maps and times your rides, even calculates incline, which is a big deal for me, since I leave in the foothills of the mountains. :D Hope you guys can benefit from it as much as I have!

Replies

• hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    They are def worth it! Figuring up a good amount really depends on how much you walk now. Buy one ($10 is enough...that's how much mine was at Duhnam's Sports and it works great) and wear it for a day doing what you normally do. At the end of the day look at how many steps you took and try to add 100-500 steps each day until you reach a comfortable goal (= I did this just at work and found out I walked over 4 miles every day (I'm a waitress so it adds up quick lol).

Good luck!! =)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck with pedometers being accurate or lasting very long. I'd do some research and read reviews. By studying up you might have better luck than I have.
  • jalm36
    jalm36 Posts: 12
    Options
    There are some free pedometer apps for the iphone. If you want to get an idea if its the sort of thing you're looking for before spending money.
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    I've never had luck with pedometers being accurate. I have gotten a few free apps for my iphone that keep track of time, distance, gps for my runs, bike riding, etc. Right now I'm using Runkeeper. Just keep in mind that the mileage isn't always 100% accurate.