HRM - without the annoying chest strap

Saksgirl1
Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
Here is the dilemma... I keep reading about the Polar FT4 and I found a super cute one in a bronze color... BUT the chest strap seems like it would be confining when I'm doing my strength training. I really don't want you guys to tell me that it's not, I am just hoping for some ideas for a good, easy to use, HRM without a chest strap (preferably under $100)

Replies

• tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    bump
  • Not sure how accurate it'd be without the strap...
  • Sorry to tell you what you dont want to hear, but the only accurate HRMs come with chest straps. Theyre adjustable and can fit snuggly under your sports bra without you even knowing its there.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I know you don't want to hear it, but its not. I don't know of a decent HRM without a chest strap, that's kinda the essence of the HRM.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    unfortunately im pretty sure thats how you get an accurate reading, because its readijng the heart rate by being close to it.. if i jump with mine too much, and it falls, it cant read my heart rate. :\ i know what you mean though, it IS annoying... might just be one of those "suck it up:" situations
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    The chest strap isn't a big deal. If it fits correctly, not too loose or tight, you'd don't notice it much after a few times using it. I lift and haven't ever been bothered by it. The chest strap helps the hrm be more accurate as it reads your heart rate continuously rather than when you stop and press down on it. The Polar F4 is a great entry level hrm.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    I used to have a MIO Sport. It was ok for walking but the problem with it was you had to place two fingers on these sensors that didn'talways work and to have any continuity with the workout whether it be strength or cardio was impossible. I almost fell off my bike once trying to check my pulse. The chest strap is not that big a deal, I thought it would be but after a couple workouts, I don't even know it's there.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    I thought it would be annoying, but it's really not...and nothing else is accurate. Sorry.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Yep, it's pretty much accuracy with chest strap or inaccurate without...as far as I've seen.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I need a sports bra to use one?
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    LOL, ya beat me.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    I have the Polar FT4 and it has the strap and I do strength training and run with it..It's not that bad. once in a while I feel a pinch but it's an easy fix. Worth the effort either way. Good Luck!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    You get what you pay for.. .without the chest strap, they are pretty much crap as far as being accurate.

I have a Polar FT7 and chest strap I don't even notice....if you wear a bra, you already know what it feels like.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Chest straps are pretty much required for a good reading. I've also seen several times that HRMs are not accurate for strength training but I'm not sure about that.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    LOL, ya beat me.

It's called a 'Sports Bro'.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Honestly, suck it up and buy the one with a chest strap.. you'll be happy you did.

I wear my Polar FT7 for strength training all the time with no problems.. as long as its tight enough, it won't move nor will you feel it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    *double post*
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Chest straps are pretty much required for a good reading. I've also seen several times that HRMs are not accurate for strength training but I'm not sure about that.
    HRM's work by using your average heart rate to estimate effort, and then apply the standard calorie calculation (Duration x intensity x weight) to figure out calories burned. So they can be notably inaccurate if anything is affecting your resting heart rate (caffeine, beta blockers, etc) and they also tend to be erratic with strength training because effort and your actual heart rate don't necessarily correlate well during strength training.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    I invested in the exact same model and am really glad I did. The strap's nuthin'.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    I have the FT4 as well. I wear it for my cardio and strength training, no problems at all.
This discussion has been closed.