Goodbye Stretching

Options

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    On a serious note: I use to pull my quad almost every time I played softball. Either running to first base or running down a fly ball. Then I started a better stretch routine before hand (I think it's considered static) and I have not pulled the muscle since.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I always do dynamic stretching before a workout as a warm-up and then static stretching as a cool-down. My body is very inflexible, and I've noticed a huge difference in muscle tightness and flexibility since adding the static stretching. Static stretching might not help before exercise, but it sure helps me afterwards.

same here!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have always hated stretching. So I don't do it much. Maybe a little light stuff coupled with warmups, if at all.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Use it or lose it applies. If you don't make an effort to stretch, muscle tissue shortens over time. Especially true for people working out and building muscle. Runners are doomed to injury if you don't make the effort to lengthen those tight, lean legs. Beextremely gentle when you are cold. And still gentle when warmed up. Love your body like you want to keep it running for a good long time!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Use it or lose it applies. If you don't make an effort to stretch, muscle tissue shortens over time. Especially true for people working out and building muscle. Runners are doomed to injury if you don't make the effort to lengthen those tight, lean legs. Beextremely gentle when you are cold. And still gentle when warmed up. Love your body like you want to keep it running for a good long time!

If you don't know someone's physiology, you can guess, but it won't be the same for everyone.

I've been running marathons since 2006. I've sprained my ankle once from rolling it at an adventure race and I've pulled my groin once, from a rather nasty spill when I stumbled over something. Those cleared up pretty quickly. Other than that, there is no serious history of injury. chronic or otherwise, since I started deciding what was best for me.

Back when I was in high school and did track and stretched twice a day, I, personally, was injured far more. Shin splints, sore knees. You name it. And some of the workouts, not injury related, had me so sore that I had very hard time walking up stairs. I really don't have those troubles now.

And I run about the same speed, perhaps a little faster, and definitely much farther now.

You have to know your own body.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I HATE stretching!

Sometimes I do it, mostly I don't.

Though according to Women's Running magazine most people (runners) don't stretch enough after exercise and you should do 10-15 mins of stretching after an hour's run.

I just hate it, though! I do stretch after my boot camp and aerobics classes, though, which is 3 times a week, so I feel like that's my stretching quota for the week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I instruct kickboxing, and deter anyone before class not to static stretch. We dynamic stretch the first 5 minutes and near the end of the class spend 5 minutes static stretching. I don't mind stretching much at the end and even at home I'll spend time on the floor foam rolling and static stretching.
    But I never stretch before I lift. Instead I just do a light set of reps of the movement I''m going to do.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Stretching is important, but it can hurt/hinder if you're not at least a little warmed up first. I played basketball for years and we always did a 5-10 minute jog then stretched before we did anything more strenuous. I still think you should stretch before and after working out. It also helps lengthen your muscles and keep you flexible.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching pre-workout + warm-up, static stretching post-workout.

Do more searches and you'll find research showing that static stretching pre-workout is not very good.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes indeed stretching is over rated. i never stretch.
    it does nothing for DOMS, either before or after working out
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OMG Seriously, now we've got studies suggesting that stretching isn't necessary?!?!?!? Ridiculous. Sure you don't *need* flexibility to run, however if you want to avoid injury, muscle flexibility is a HUGE factor. I don't need a scientific study to tell me that when I added specific hamstring stretches to my routine, the shin splints i had dealt with for years were reduced and ultimately are now no longer a problem.

So to complete your activity, sure you may not need to stretch but it is proven that stretching improves muscle imbalances that ultimately lead to chronic and sometimes even acute injuries.

I think it can help for some. I'm rarely injured and rarely stretch though. I'm also not seriously inflexible despite my lack of stretching.

My understanding is that strengthening all muscle groups evenly improves muscle imbalances, not stretching.

As another poster said, muscles imbalances happen for two reasons: (1) muscle tightness and/or (2) muscle weakness. If the imbalance comes from weakness, no amount of stretching will help (you can stretch the opposing muscle group but then you just destabilize the joint by having too much flexibility). If the imbalance comes from tightness, no amount of strengthening will help (you can strengthen the opposing muscles but then you can injure the joint by having too much tightness, which often creates pressure or impingements).

Of course, a muscle can be both tight and weak (the worst case). And for 99% of people- including most muscle groups in most athletes - the best case is muscles that are strong and flexible.
  • LauraMarie37
    Options

As someone else said (but it's important to reiterate), muscles don't get shorter or longer. The connections between the fibers do. Knit your fingers together: these are like unstretched muscles fibers. Now keep your fingers knit together but pull them apart so your fingertips, instead of being close to the opposite hand's wrist, are at the base of the opposite hand's fingers. That's what a stretched muscle's fibers are like - less overlap between fibers, so each fiber does more work and (eventually) can become more efficient.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stretching is part of fitness, but not necessary before or after other parts of fitness. Strength training increases muscle strength, cardio increases cardiovascular strength, and stretching increases flexibility. Stretching is a standalone activity, not something that has to be done after other forms of exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Many times the thought that weight lifting will make you "muscle bound" holds in peoples mind and will deter them from doing it. Dancers are a good example. I rarely meet a dancer that will lift weights because of this fear.
    It doesn't help that many Pro and Amateur bodybuilders look so "bound up" to reinforce this notion. But if an exercise is done through full ROM (range of motion), unless that motion puts undue stress on a tendon or ligament, the muscle gets stretched and you can help with flexibility. If the full ROM isn't being used then you can get that "muscle bound".
    For example take the barbell curl. Barbell starts at the tops of your thighs then ends at your chest. But if you don't return the barbell to the tops of your thighs and stop short to continue the exercise (it's easier to do if you don't go all the way back down), then the muscle doesn't "lengthen" all the way and still has a partial contraction applied to it. Consequently the muscle "memorizes" this position and doesn't extend all the way giving the "muscle bound" appearance and the appearance of inflexibility which to a point is true.
    If the full ROM is used, then the flexibility stays intact. So my advice is if you can do full ROM, make sure you do. It will help keep flexibility that you have.
    I still believe in stretching afterward too since it does assist in recovery.
  • LauraMarie37
    Options
    Many times the thought that weight lifting will make you "muscle bound" holds in peoples mind and will deter them from doing it. Dancers are a good example. I rarely meet a dancer that will lift weights because of this fear.
    It doesn't help that many Pro and Amateur bodybuilders look so "bound up" to reinforce this notion. But if an exercise is done through full ROM (range of motion), unless that motion puts undue stress on a tendon or ligament, the muscle gets stretched and you can help with flexibility. If the full ROM isn't being used then you can get that "muscle bound".
    For example take the barbell curl. Barbell starts at the tops of your thighs then ends at your chest. But if you don't return the barbell to the tops of your thighs and stop short to continue the exercise (it's easier to do if you don't go all the way back down), then the muscle doesn't "lengthen" all the way and still has a partial contraction applied to it. Consequently the muscle "memorizes" this position and doesn't extend all the way giving the "muscle bound" appearance and the appearance of inflexibility which to a point is true.
    If the full ROM is used, then the flexibility stays intact. So my advice is if you can do full ROM, make sure you do. It will help keep flexibility that you have.
    I still believe in stretching afterward too since it does assist in recovery.

I'm a dancer and I do weight training!! Actually, nearly all professional male dancers do a significant amount of weight training, because us ladies (even the tiny ones) can be hard to lift! (Especially in a way that makes it look effortless - and especially if we have to be caught from a jump, or are moving while being lifted!) Most women do limit any weight training they do to circuit training (30DS style), and it is due to a misguided fear of building muscle, thinking that muscle weighs more than fat, then losing their contracts because even though they are the same size, they weigh more.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If I don't stretch I won't be able to kick anybody in the head. Since I do Taekwondo that's important to me. :)
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Stretching is a good "just in case" preventative when you're using your muscles a lot to make sure they don't shrink up and cause you pain or reduced mobility. It's mostly a comfort thing, rather than a need thing.

Have you been static stretching or dynamic? Dynamic achieves more, keeps your muscles warm, and keeps you moving. If you've been doing static, you might wanna change.

Flexibility is a good goal in itself. Seriously, if you're flexible enough to easily touch your toes and fold your arms behind your back, (not neccessarily at the same time....) everyday tasks do become more comfortable.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Stretching is a good "just in case" preventative when you're using your muscles a lot to make sure they don't shrink up and cause you pain or reduced mobility. It's mostly a comfort thing, rather than a need thing.

Have you been static stretching or dynamic? Dynamic achieves more, keeps your muscles warm, and keeps you moving. If you've been doing static, you might wanna change.

Flexibility is a good goal in itself. Seriously, if you're flexible enough to easily touch your toes and fold your arms behind your back, (not neccessarily at the same time....) everyday tasks do become more comfortable.
    Most people do stretch wrong. I see many a person in the gym "static stretching" before working out, when they should be "dynamic stretching".

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I think it's also important to look at different types of stretching, dynamic versus static. Also, I've read recently from one trainer in particular (Joe DeFranco) that making sure to stretch the hip flexors and even pectorals before certain lifts can enhance performance. Another part of pre-workout prep is to use the foam roller. I've started using one and my leg health in particular feels much better and I've gained some flexibility just from using it. Be careful about the no stretching remarks because are body's definitely need to warm-up and gain some flexibility prior to exercise and after.