Polar HRM??

2»

Replies

• PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    For anyone else considering a Polar HRM...

I have the FT60 and love it. If you are seriously committed to fitness, this is an HRM that can take care of it all AND has options to grow into more serious functions if you wish.

It's one of only 2 Polar models (the other is the FT80) that have a kind of "personal trainer" built in, called the STAR program. There are 3 STAR program settings for you to choose from, each with a different weekly goal, "Weight loss", "Fitness Improvement", and "Maximize Fitness".

The watch will also give you a fitness test to determine your VO2max, which is generally considered the best indicator of an cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance. In other words, how "fit" you are.

Then, each week, at midnight on Sunday, a new weekly goal is given to you. For the next week, how to fulfill that goal is up to you. You could cycle, Rumba, P90X, walk in the park, do strength training, etc. Whatever it takes to get your heart rate into the zones set by the STAR program.

If you meet the weekly goal, you get a trophy that shows up on your watch during the next full week. It's amazing how badly you'll want to keep that cheesy little trophy on your watch! It really is a fantastic little incentive.

I believe the FT60 is also the cheapest Polar HRM that's compatible with the S1 Foot Pod, which measures your running speed/pace and distance. If you're a runner, this is a great option for logging your runs.

It's also compatible with the G1 GPS sensor, if you need/want that option.

The FT60 is $145 with free shipping @ Amazon last time I checked.

If you do buy a Polar FT60 or higher, I highly recommend buying the Polar FlowLink USB device (about $45). When you have finished working out, simply place your watch on the device and it automatically uploads the data to the Polar Personal Trainer site and logs all the stats for you. Fast and easy, and very, very motivating!