Sardine Virgin

mfpchris
mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
I've never had a sardine. Most of my life I've not been a big seafood fan. Now, I'm more
concerned about good healthy food and portion etc.

Some things: Eating the spine?
Easting the skin?
Eating with my hands?
Eating as they come out of the tin or sliced up?
Rinsing?
Others?

I think I want to try them...but It all seems a little fishy and I'm chicken.
You?

Replies

• sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    I get the ones in hot tomato sauce and mash them all up together and its great on toast :)
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Before I decided on the vegan lifestyle, I ate sardines...YUM! straight from the can! I ate them with a fork, bones skin and all...lots of goot nutrients in that stuff!...

Enjoy!!!!
  • mstcass
    mstcass Posts: 63 Member
    You're not missing anything! We ate them with crackers as a kid. Dnt eat the spine but you can eat the skin and out of the can. In the south we eat them with hot sauce. Enjoy!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    I, too, was a sardine virgin until a few weeks ago. I bought the boneless, skinless kind, because I was a bit squicked at the idea of eating the bones. I was very pleasantly surprised - they were like a slightly fishier version of tuna. I heated mine in a pan (even after draining there was still oil on the fish, so I didn't add any fat) and then added to toast.

I also recently discovered tinned smoked herring. It's boneless as well, but not skinless - but the skin doesn't bother me. Anyways, they, too, are delicious, and even cheaper than sardines. I found some on sale for $0.75 yesterday!!! And it's 17g protein per tin! :D I put those on a toasted 100-calorie bun with some Dijon and Canadian mustard. Delicious!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    I ate them when I was a kid..on crackers..you just eat 'em from the can
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Try fresh sardines before you try tinned sardines. Sardines are really good for you, but the tinned ones taste and smell... well, I guess it's an acquired taste. My stomach wobbles if someone else opens a tin in the same room.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    I've never had a sardine. Most of my life I've not been a big seafood fan. Now, I'm more
    concerned about good healthy food and portion etc.

Some things: Eating the spine? YES
    Easting the skin? YES
    Eating with my hands? YES
    Eating as they come out of the tin or sliced up? Whatever suits you better
    Rinsing? (Not Really)
    Others?

I think I want to try them...but It all seems a little fishy and I'm chicken.
    You?

I'm Portuguese and I've eaten sardines pretty much all my life, don't really like the tined ones that much. Fresh is the way to go if you can. Lovely on a slice of bread with some salad.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    I, too, was a sardine virgin until a few weeks ago. I bought the boneless, skinless kind, because I was a bit squicked at the idea of eating the bones. I was very pleasantly surprised - they were like a slightly fishier version of tuna. I heated mine in a pan (even after draining there was still oil on the fish, so I didn't add any fat) and then added to toast.

I also recently discovered tinned smoked herring. It's boneless as well, but not skinless - but the skin doesn't bother me. Anyways, they, too, are delicious, and even cheaper than sardines. I found some on sale for $0.75 yesterday!!! And it's 17g protein per tin! :D I put those on a toasted 100-calorie bun with some Dijon and Canadian mustard. Delicious!

My kind of response. Being squicked, your advise might really help. For my first time (other then the "fresh" advice I'm getting) should I, with your resent experience, also go the skinless/boneless route? Doing it over again is this what you would do? Also, doing it over, would you still heat them?
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    My kind of response. Being squicked, your advise might really help. For my first time (other then the "fresh" advice I'm getting) should I, with your resent experience, also go the skinless/boneless route? Doing it over again is this what you would do? Also, doing it over, would you still heat them?

Haha to be honest, I haven't switched to the ones with skin and bones yet... so I suppose I would indeed recommend going the skinless/boneless route! :)
    As for heating them, I don't think it made much difference in the end. It crisped them a little bit so that was nice, but taste-wise I think it's pretty much the same. You could definitely get away with not heating them if you didn't feel like it.

I would love to try fresh sardines, too, but I've never seen them in the markets I go to. I feel like it's something I'd have to hunt around for, so for now, tinned works just fine for me!

Let us know how it goes!!