would you say she was to skinny?

Options
2»

Replies

• thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of things. I'm an inch shorter and have been healthy and active at that weight(or even much lower like 120).

128 is actually my goal(though it may take a freaking year if I don't start bringing my breakfasts and eating the lunches I bring).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Loaded question...everyone carries weight differently. I am 5'7" and look ill at 120 pounds. For other people the same height, they look great. There is no way of saying if someone is too skinny by just reading their stats.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At 18, I was 5'5, 110 lbs with a 22" waist. I ate what I wanted, didn't do any "regular" exercise, but spent every Friday and Saturday night either rollerskating or dancing for hours on end. I could have stood to gain weight, but I was just a naturally thin person with a really fast metabolism.

21 year later, I'm 20 pounds heavier, my waist isn't nearly so tiny, but I am able to fit into a lot of my high school clothes again. Not comfortably, mind you. :wink: But they zip and button.

So... I wouldn't be concerned with the weight or waist of an 18 year old, unless she was doing unhealthy things to achieve that body.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am pleased to see the generally sensible tone of these responses. Earlier in the year, the tone seemed to be different here-anyone reporting those statistics would have been told repeatedly that she had an eating disorder or was unhealthy.

And the responses are correct--height/weight numbers, by themselves are meaningless. I see this every day. In fact, I don't need a "hypothetical" case. I once worked with a woman who was 5'9", 118 pounds and 27% body fat. She had a tiny frame from the waist up, but did not look unnaturally thin at all. Needless to say, someone like that you tell to hit the weight room, not the salad bar, but she was not "underweight"--not even close.

I also had a situation earlier in the year where I just happened to assess 3 women who were all 5'4" tall and roughly the same age within a 2-week period. Because of different frame sizes, their "ideal" weights (at 25% body fat) fell in a range of 40-50lbs.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    not necessarily, but id be impressed to be able to work out someones exact weight and waist measurement just from seeing them in the supermarket
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    she has the same BMI as me, and im not too skinny, and im much older. Id say it probably looks fine, especially at 18
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That is impossible to determine by just knowing her stats.

I know a girl who was naturally thin no matter what she ate or what she did. Her bones weren't showing or anything she looked very healthy, but she was just very thin. Looked great, and she actually didn't want to be so thin. Now that she's gotten older, she's filled out ever so slightly and feels much better, even though she still is and probably always will be a slender girl.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No... I'm 5'8' tall, 124 lbs. I haven't seen 18 in 33 years, and my waist is not as small as hers, but I am not too skinny, and neither is she. What is considered "skinny" has changed a great deal since I was 18. People in general are heavier than they used to be, so those of us who are smaller are more likely to be called skinny, and people who were considered "chubby" back in the day, are now not.

What I'm saying is that "skinny" or "chubby" is often just an opinion or judgement.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    I'd need to see her first...see how and what she eats, how much exercise she gets, etc. I wouldn't necessarily care how "thin" she was as long as she was healthy. You can be very thin, yet lean and healthy.

but would anyone really care about whether a random girl in a supermarket was in optimum health or not or what their diet was like??

I cant imagine giving a stranger in a supermarket any more than a passing thought
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, when I was 18, my waist was around 23", I looked just like everyone else my age - so, I'd say no. 23" on my waist now would look way too small but after children, my hips have gotten bigger too.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    As the mother of a teenager, I'd be concerned she was underweight.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    As the mother of a teenager, I'd be concerned she was underweight.

even though she wasnt?
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if she was or wasn't by just looking at her ... but if she looked it (and 5'8" and 125 would probably look it to me), my immediate thought (because I'm the mom of a teen) would be that she might be. As a stranger, I'd leave it there.

However, with my own kid - or a kid I know well (like my kid's friends) - I'd "investigate" further. My own daughter (15) is 5'3" and 105 pounds. She's very very thin. She could look to strangers as if she's underweight. Adn she even looks to me as if she's underweight. But, since I live with her I know she isn't. She eats like a horse! lol
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. When I graduated from high school I weighed somewhere around 125-127#. I was slender but not scrawny or sickly looking. I have a small frame (although I seriously doubt I had a 23" waist). So, no I don't think she'd necessarily be too thin.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So is there a point to this?
    Everyone is differnt and if she is just done random person how would you know her stats!
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure the whole point of this since you can't really say "Yeah, I would think she's too skinny" if you don't know what she actually looks like, just a brief description of height and weight (and for some reason hair colour?? What? She's brunnette? Totally underweight, if she was blonde I'd be cool with it though) isn't enough. You need to actually see what a person looks like in order to say whether or not you think they look too skinny.