In desperate need of advice!!

Options
So I've tried dieting and exercising more than once. It does work but I really would like some advice on how to create a personal work out plan, how to actually eat healthy without starving or spending a fortune, some simple tips that'll make this lifestyle change easier for me and how to stay motivated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• chelle2u
    chelle2u Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not sure on the fitness plan thing - something i still need to suss. But i have made small changes just to become more active.

In terms of food, not starving yourself and spending less, here are some of the things i find useful.

Eat little and often, so I aim to have breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack and then dinner. This stops me feeing hungry by maintaining ya blood sugar levels.

I also drink plenty of water. I tend to drink before I eat this helps my body to distinguish between hunger and thirst and fills me up quicker. And as it's free it is a great way to fill up!!!

I find the best way to keep those food bills down is to plan out what you are having in advance write a shopping list and stick to it. I also try to make things in bulk - so lasagne for example make a big one using fresh mince and freeze what you don't eat!! That way u have a meal for another day or eat it for lunch the next day!!

Hope this is of some help. xx
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you're saying. I have been there. There are plenty of beginner workouts online. What is a clean diet? Food that doesn't contain too many ingredients. Shop on the outside isles, lean meats, fruits, and vegetables. There are a ton of ways to prepare them.

Making a life style, I have gained a lot of weight, and lost a lot of weight, and gained more back etc... up to losing and gaining 100lbs. Life style is of utmost importance. The key is "slow managable progress." I do intermittent fasting, I eat my calories in the evening, no breakfast or lunch. I was also on a fast food diet. I moved on to atkins style (high protein (lots of meat) now I am working towards and alkalizing diet...

These are "examples" of how to build in to a diet program which ever you choose. For me to start eating most of my calories in the evening, I started out drinking 2 protein shakes, 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, then eating most of my calories after 5pm. Eventually it turned in to 1 shake at lunch, then eventually just dinner. I lowered my carbs to under 100 grams, then i focused on being below 50grams of carbs... then eventually I was eating under 10grams of carbs a day...

The alkalizing diet, It's a very strict vegan diet. No breads, grains, fruits, just mostly green vegetables that's about it. That's what I am working on now. I just told myself "i am going to drink 1 alkalizing drink before my main meal" i put cucumbers, lemon, and some other alkalizing foods in a blender with a distilled water, and drink that... Today was my first day without any acidic food. Tomorrow I might eat meat, But no big deal, I know I am "working towards it."

I guess the ultimate point is set small managable goals and work towards them. Dont get too concerned about your results, you can't control how much you lose and by when. You can't control if you get a feeling for junk food, or even a binge. It happens, forget it and move on.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to work on something yourself - if you've tried before, then you KNOW what exercise you like, what foods are your favourites, and maybe which ones to avoid. I can certainly tell you my exercise and eating plan, but that's what works for me, not a general plan that would suit everyone.

So, let's get a few more details: what's your current weight and height, what are your goals, and what are you currently doing in terms of nutrition and exercise?
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    This is what I do and works for me. Maybe you can take a part and make it your own?

I decided to do Zumba at my gym on Mondays, 1 hr, a ton of calories burned! I also do my weight training 2 days on, 1 day off, repeat. So on day 1 I'll do chest/triceps. Day 2, back/biceps. Day 3, rest, etc. It's just a way to stay on track and I know that I'm not overtraining any single muscle group without giving it proper rest.

As far as food / expense, that's a little different. I eat a lot of egg whites, tuna, protein shakes, etc. I try to eat something every 2 hours, even if it's just a yogurt and fruit. Since my diet is kinda restrictive, it's imperative that I take a multi-vitamin.

Hope this helps a little. :)
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What has helped me the most exercise wise was finding a group on here that was doing a challenge and joining to to them or finding a friend to workout with, it made me feel like others were counting on me to exercise and that motivated me.I'm also a big fan of workout dvds! They usually have your whole exercise routine for weeks or months planned out.
    On the eating just try to stay away from the bad things...not to much sugar, or preservatives. Something I believe in though is don't deprive yourself of things you like. For me I know I couldn't live with out pizza...or at least be on a diet that I couldn't eat it. So I would allow myself to have it every two weeks at first and gradually made it once a month, and now I only eat it every 6-8 weeks. And I've done that same thing with icecream and candy bars...but pizza was the big one for me to get over lol. I also saw on someones blog that everytime they went to eat something they would stop and actually evaluate how hungry they were from a 1-10, if it was around a 4-6 they'd have a small snack and then around an 8 would eat a meal. They said it helped them to not eat so much just because they were bored or emotional. I've started doing that as well and drinikng lots of water and I find myself doing alot better with my food.
    For me reading the success stories is always motivating me...especially when I'm struggling! I also have set mini goals for myself and will reward myself with something once I get to each one:)
    Hope this helps!! And good luck!!
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone all of the advice is great! I can definitely do fruits, vegetables and small meals throughout the day. I also like doing Zumba so maybe I'll get back into it. My main focus is to work on certain areas of my body like my arms, legs and hips so that everything is toned evenly. And Melanie, I'm 5'5" about 175lbs and my goal weight is around 140lbs. I'd also like to tone up a bit. I'm moving away to college in about two weeks. They have healthy food options and a gym so once I get there I'll be set. For right now I'll have to make do with what resources I have, I just wanna get a head start so that I'm not completely changing my eating and exercising habits once I move.
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shalynna that's actually a really good idea especially since I know I'm always eating when I'm not actually hungry. And I'm Italian so I'm in love with pizza too. Eating foods I love every two weeks would definitely give me something to look forward to! Thanks again(:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have a great time at Uni, that's good they have a gym, and you'll be able to eat well there.

One little mini exercise I try to do at home each day is 2 sets of 20 each squats and press-ups.