Running with specs in the rain :(

Options
I think this is right place for this question :S anyway.

Any runners out there that are short sighted like myself?

Im a proud glasses wearer! and iv recently started running!

This isnt too much of a problem as i wear a headband, as i sweat like a pig, so it both stops sweat dribbling down my face, and also locks my glasses inplace when im bouncing around, a trick i learnt a school, many moons ago.

However, last night was the first time i have run in the rain. Whilst running in rain 2 things happen, 1, obviously rain gets on the glasses and makes it difficult to see, and 2, they fog up! Making it impossible to see!

Im working on C25K at the moment (Week 3 starting on saturday) so its not too much of a problem at the min as i stop to walk ever 90 seconds or so, so i have time to wipe them clean. but when i get to running continously i wont have that liberty (joyfully :))

I cannot go without wearing them, gives me headaches, trip over curbs, fall down man holes! so what can i do the next time it rains and i cannot see and have to runn for a further 25 minutes without a break?

Was considering building some windscreen wipers, but its not really parctical? do i have to just struggle or its there an option? and contact lenses are not an option, maybe for race days but not for training.

Thanks for reading and your ideas guys :)

Replies

• yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    if there is an answer to this, i am unaware. i love running in a light rain, but also have the spectacle issue. cant go without them or i will run into everything. wearing a hat doesn't help much. mini windshield wipers???? :)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello there and well done for getting into running!

My mum and I both wear glasses (although I can get away with not wearing mine) and we started just wearing a hat (a peaked cap) when it was raining and it mostly works to keep the rain off your glasses. Looks a bit silly but it's better than you not being able to see.

I don't know of any other solution!
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    I also wear glasses, but have contacts as well and insist on wearing them if I run. But I know everyone can't wear contacts and I know how frustrating foggy, water-splattered glasses are! How about a sun visor? Unless the rain is coming straight at your face, it would keep the rain from falling down and onto your glasses. It would be worth it! This one also has a sweatband included.

http://www.e4hats.com/_e/dept/22-050/Cotton_Terry_Sweatband_PVC_Visor.htm
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, a cap keeps them dry - not sure about fogging though.
    Perhaps you could try rubbing spit (sorry) or shampoo on them to see if this helps.
    Or is it toothpaste I'm thinking of? I know you can get anti fog stuff for your diving mask, that might work.
    Good luck!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses and love running in the rain.

I wear a baseball cap - the peak keeps the rain off, and if it's fairly hot, I put a small towel inside the hat to soak up the sweat :)

Enjoy your running!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Rain-x wipes are wonderful for stoppng fogginess and making the ran slide right off them.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

I really loved running in the rain last night, was cooling and refreshing. Just started annoying me with the not being able to see thing, coped for a while, then just became annoying lol

looks like the most popular answer is the simplest... a hat :D ill deffinately try that next time it rains and im out, its not something i wear very often, usually holidays abroad lol, but iv got a couple tucked in suitcases somewhere i think.

Ill have a look into the anti-fog stuff, see what i can use to stop it from happening, i know why it happends, the cold of the rain on one side and the heat from me sweating like pig on the other.

Thanks again peoples! :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Rain-x wipes are wonderful for stoppng fogginess and making the ran slide right off them.

hmmmm they are cheap too, ill look into them thank you! :)
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options

great advice i am going to try it!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Is there a particular reason that contacts aren't an option? I only ask as you say that they may be an option for races but not for training...?

I have worn glasses for 30 years and in the last couple of months, I have finally started wearing contact lenses again (after a bad experience with gas permeable lenses about 20 years ago!!) and they have made an unbelievable difference to my running, horseriding and cycling. The lenses I have are soft and they're just brilliant. They're a doddle to put in/take out - if I'd known how easy and comfortable they were I'd never have waited this long before trying again.

If you're in the UK then you can get a free 2-week trial with SpecSavers, so if you don't get on with them you haven' t lost anything?