Both a weight victory and an NSV from a "new" mom

Options
So when I started my weight loss journey it had been just over a year since I'd had my daughter. I remember being 38 million months pregnant with her and thinking "I'm sooooo going to get back into my regular people jeans in no time!" Hahaha. Oh, how naive I was.

The day I found out I was pregnant I weighed 116 pounds and was mad at myself for having gained 6lbs while on vacation. The day before I had her I weighed in at 165 pounds. I'm kinda PO'd that I wasn't 166, because that would have been an even 50lbs I could guilt her about later in life, but c'est la vie.

A month after having her I weighed 139lbs. I hadn't really done anything to lose any weight and I was breast feeding so I just figured I'd worry about the weight later. Over the past year, that sort of became my thing. "Eh, I'll do it later." I always had one excuse after another: a trip with the baby (then three months old!) to Europe, the holidays, a move BACK to China... Yada yada yada...

I started working again in May and was trying to find something to wear for work. I did what every woman does when she doesn't have anything to wear: I went shopping. I bought a few things to round my wardrobe out and pretty much wore the same thing everyday. It never occurred to me to think "Gee, I don't have anything to wear because I STILL haven't lost the freaking baby weight, you lazy butt!"

The day after my husband's birthday, on the morning of June 29th, I stepped on the scale for the first time in a few months. 139. Exactly what I was one month after having my daughter. I curled up in a ball on the floor and sobbed and sobbed. I was so mad at myself. Before I had had my daughter I had always taken a great deal of pride in my appearance and taken very good care of myself. Suddenly it dawned on me that I had stopped giving a crap about myself and was so busy taking care of my daughter and fiance and my students and my friends and.... that I had stopped taking care of myself.

That was the moment that got my butt in gear. That was the moment I started giving a **** about myself again. As I sit here writing this I have tears running down my cheeks thinking about how little I cared about myself for the past year.

So, onto my victories: I weighed 136.4 when I found MFP and of this morning I am 126.4lbs. So that's my scale victory, I've lost 10lbs since starting here. I have worked for every ounce of that. This morning as I skipped out of the bathroom (butt naked, of course) to tell my fiance about my weight he said "Damn, you look hot!" Even at 87 years pregnant he thought I was hot, which makes me love him even more, but it was that look on his face. Like, I'm so proud of you. That look. Big smile. :happy:

My NSV (besides my DFs big smile) is that I can now fit back into my "regular" pants!!! Ok, so I really want to fit into the size 2s I have hanging in front of my scale as motivation, but let's face it, I didn't fit in those for quite a while before I had my daughter :tongue: As much as I love elastic waist bands, I'm happy I don't have to rely on them anymore to wear denim. It might be 100 degrees here, but you better bet I'm wearing jeans to our celebration dinner tonight!

Ok, so sorry about the long post! Thanks to all my friends and everyone else here on MFP. You all inspire me every day! Thank you from the bottom of my hear! I'm gonna dance with my daughter and the dog now. Love you all!

Replies

• lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well done! With determination like that you'll be back in those size two's in no time!
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Awwww..:. I'm so happy for you!
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is such a lovely story - you have done so well in finding the motivation to get back to caring about yourself!! Well done! I think that once we become a mum, it is hard to remember that we are worth it too!! I have set similar "later's" for myself too - once I have my 2nd baby... once I hit 40... and a similar pair of jeans awaiting me at the end of my quest!! I think that MFP is possibly the most motivational life-changing tool that I have ever come across. A huge well done to you!!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great post, very funny... and of course, well done!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    So happy for ya! :)
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks guys! Seriously, it's this encouragement and positive reinforcement that keeps my tuchus in gear everyday!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!