Vegetarians

Options
I was wondering if we have any vegitarians on here? I am very interested because I have a brother that is a vegetarian, and now I have a "new" special man in my life that is a vegetarian. I want to learn as much as I can about it and maybe get some good sites with recipes etc. Also, I want to understand how you can get all the nutrition necessary for our bodies by skipping meats.

God bless all and write me pm if you would rather, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if we have any vegitarians on here? I am very interested because I have a brother that is a vegetarian, and now I have a "new" special man in my life that is a vegetarian. I want to learn as much as I can about it and maybe get some good sites with recipes etc. Also, I want to understand how you can get all the nutrition necessary for our bodies by skipping meats.

God bless all and write me pm if you would rather, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)
  • g0g1rl
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I have found this site very useful for keeping track of my nutrition however in the past I interacted with more vegetarians and learned stuff that way. I have been a vegetarian for about 8 yrs. I don't have any favorite websites for recipes but there are a ton out there. I usually look up foods by nutritional information. If one eats healthy as a vegetarian it is not too hard to get all the nutrients one needs. It becomes harder if a person is vegan. I am not. I eat eggs and cheese on occasion. I also take a multi-vitamin.
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Am a vegetarian since birth. My mom used to feed me eggs when I was little. But I do not eat eggs anymore. My fav site for veg recipes(specially indian) is:- http://365daysveg.wordpress.com/
    Will post in more. :flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Oh, this is great! Thank you much:) I did find a website with recipes maybe you would like also, bhg.com. I just google vegetarian meals/recipes. Im glad you told me there is a diff between vegetarian and vegan, lol! I thought it was the same thing.

denise:)

I am a vegetarian. I have found this site very useful for keeping track of my nutrition however in the past I interacted with more vegetarians and learned stuff that way. I have been a vegetarian for about 8 yrs. I don't have any favorite websites for recipes but there are a ton out there. I usually look up foods by nutritional information. If one eats healthy as a vegetarian it is not too hard to get all the nutrients one needs. It becomes harder if a person is vegan. I am not. I eat eggs and cheese on occasion. I also take a multi-vitamin.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you much! I don't know about Indian food, isn't it very spicy? I don't handle "hot" spicy very well but I am open to trying new foods:)

denise:)

Am a vegetarian since birth. My mom used to feed me eggs when I was little. But I do not eat eggs anymore. My fav site for veg recipes(specially indian) is:- http://365daysveg.wordpress.com/
    Will post in more. :flowerforyou:
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Generally, its spicy. But you can cut short on chilli and tamarind(if used). you can try n see.
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too. I don't really use any sites for recipes, but I use MFP to track my protein especially. This is actually pretty easy to get as a vegetarian - from beans, yogurt, milk, eggs - and by eating a range of these foods daily I easily hit my protein target. I do take a multi-vitamin for iron though - I like spinach but you'd have to eat huge bowl fulls to get the same amount as from red meat!
  • unanimously
    Options
    Hey there :smile: I've been a vegetarian for going on 2 1/2 years now. You have to watch out with eating vegetarian, because if you're not careful, it can be unhealthy. When I first stopped eating meat, I basically replaced it with carbs and junk food and gained 10 pounds. It can also be a tad tricky getting protein in if you don't like beans :wink: Other than that it's super easy. Cooking Light has a bunch of excellent meatless meals in their magazine and on their website, so I would check that out.
  • g0g1rl
    Options
    My favorite high irons foods are lentils and kale. they are a lot higher than others including spinach. Also, vitamin C makes you more efficient for getting iron from foods. Some foods inhibit iron uptake. Oddly enough, spinach is one of them.

Here is a list of foods that I have been compiling and what they do for us.

Almond "Milk"-high levels of magnesium, potassium, manganese, copper, vitamin E, selenium and calcium, protein

Apricots- beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A

Arugula-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently Eating these slightly bitter greens has been shown to lessen your sweet tooth.

Avocados-for its antioxidant properties

Beets- both folate and betaine. when eaten raw, stems too

Bitters-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently Eating these slightly bitter greens has been shown to lessen your sweet tooth.

Broccoli- beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A, livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently

Canola oil-Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Cantaloupe-beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A

Carrots-beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A

Cheese (especially low-fat cheese and cottage cheese)- contains protein, to repair cells

Chocolate- flavanols that help preserve the healthy function of blood vessels

Citrus- helps with the up take of iron from vegetable sources

Cinnamon- helps control blood sugar

Dandelion-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently Eating these slightly bitter greens has been shown to lessen your sweet tooth.

Dark fruit(Blood oranges, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, plums, pomegranates, cranberries, Asian dragon fruit and kiwis)-full of antioxidants, which decrease aging and disease by lowering inflammation. Antioxidants also increase collagen production and thicken the skin also blue berries mitigate inflammation and oxidative damage, which are associated with age-related deficits in memory and motor function.

Egg (with yolk)-Vitamin A which is especially important for skin repair, and decreased levels can lead to dry, flaky skin

Flax Seed- Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Hemp "Milk"-has a natural well-balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids to keep your mind sharp, your immune system strong and your skin glowing, protein

Lentils- very good source of protein and iron

Mango- for vitamin E and anti-inflammatory carotenoids

Mustard greens (collards, chards, bok choy, spinach, kale, etc)-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently Eating these slightly bitter greens has been shown to lessen your sweet tooth. Also high in vitamin C, swiss chards are also good for staving off retina damage

Nectarines- beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A

Olive Oil- polyphenols, powerful antioxidants, and lowers heart rate

Plums (or Prunes)-beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A

Pomegranate- vitamin C and good for circulatory system

Pumpkin seeds- high in protein and iron, Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells, magnesium

Purslane- very high omega-3 and melatonin (an antioxidant)

Raw veggies (celery, carrots, string beans, cauliflower, apple, cucumber, etc)- contain cellulose and fiber and naturally clean and whiten teeth and are especially effective for recent discolorations for example from blueberries, coffee, red wine or cranberry juice

Sea Vegetables (spirulina, hijiki, kelp, arame, wakame, and dulse)- one of our richest sources of minerals and phytochemicals, help detoxify, rebuild and nourish all the cells in our body

Shell fish-Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Soybeans- high in protein, Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Spinach-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently

Sunflower seeds-Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Turnips-livers cleansed of toxins, heavy metals and fats make our whole body function more efficiently Eating these slightly bitter greens has been shown to lessen your sweet tooth.

Walnuts-Essential fatty acids which regulate the flow of nutrients, waste materials, and water in and out of cells

Whole Milk-Vitamin A which is especially important for skin repair, and decreased levels can lead to dry, flaky skin

Yogurt- calcium, and bacteria for a healthy gut

Beta Carotene

What it does:

In the body, beta carotene is converted to vitamin A, a nutrient essential for healthy vision, immune function and cell growth. It also acts as an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals.

How much you need:

There's no RDA for beta carotene.

Food Sources of Beta Carotene:

Eat plenty of dark green vegetables and orange vegetables and fruits (papaya, mango) weekly to meet your vitamin A needs and reap beta carotene's potential antioxidant benefits.

B12

What it does:

Vitamin B12 is used in making DNA, the building block of genes, and in maintaining healthy nerve and red blood cells.

How much you need:

2.4 micrograms a day for people 14 and older provides all the body needs—although some researchers have argued that a daily intake of 6 micrograms would ensure absorption.

Food sources of B12:

B12 is bound to protein, so foods like meat, fish, eggs and dairy products like yogurt and milk are the principal sources.

Chromium

What it does:

Chromium is required by the body for the process that turns food into usable energy, helping insulin prime cells to take up glucose.

How much you need:

Despite disappointing findings on chromium supplements and weight loss, the body still needs it. The daily recommended intake for adults is 50 to 200 mcg.

Food sources of chromium:

Best sources of chromium are whole-grain breads and cereals, meat, nuts, prunes, raisins, beer and wine.

Vitamin K

What it does:

Vitamin K is used by the body to produce an array of different proteins. Some of them are used to create factors that allow blood to coagulate—critical in stemming bleeding and allowing cuts and wounds to heal.

How much you need:

The current recommended daily intake of vitamin K is 90 micrograms for women and 120 for men. Luckily, vitamin K deficiency is extremely uncommon.

Food Sources of Vitamin K:

Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, arugula, green leaf lettuce, soybean oil, canola oil, olive oil and tomatoes.

Potassium

What it does:

Potassium is involved in almost every vital body process: maintaining blood pressure, heart and kidney function, muscle contraction, even digestion.

How much you need:

Surveys show that most Americans get less than half the recommended amounts of potassium, which is 4,700 milligrams (mg) daily for adults and teens.

Food sources of potassium:

Foods that are closest to their original states are best, so be sure to choose whole, unprocessed foods as often as possible, especially fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, fish and lean meats.

Magnesium

What it does:

Necessary for some of the body's most basic processes, magnesium triggers more than 300 biochemical reactions—most importantly the production of energy from the food we eat.

How much you need:

Around 300 mg/day (women) and 350 mg/day (men), with the upper limit for supplemental magnesium at 350 mg.

Food sources of magnesium:

The mineral is abundant in avocados, nuts and leafy greens including acorn squash, kiwi and almonds.

Vitamin D

What it does:

Early on, most of the concern focused on bones, since vitamin D, working along with calcium, helps build and maintain them.

How much you need:

Official recommendations now call for 200 IU for children and 600 IU for people over 71, with other groups falling somewhere between.

Food sources of vitamin D:

We rely on fortified milk and breakfast cereals to get most of our dietary vitamin D. Apart from a few kinds of fish, including herring and sardines, there aren't many natural food sources, which leaves supplements and direct sunlight.

Folate/Folic Acid

What it does:

Folate is necessary for the production of new cells, including red blood cells. Folate deficiency remains a major cause of spinal-cord defects in newborns.

How much you need:

Many dietitians recommend taking a multivitamin with 400 mcg of folic acid; 1,000 mcg per day is the safe upper limit for folic acid.

Food sources of folate:

Rich sources of folate include liver, dried beans and peas, spinach and leafy greens, asparagus and fortified cereals.

Zinc

What it does:

Zinc is integral to almost every cell of the human body, from keeping the immune system healthy to regulating testosterone.

How much you need:

The recommended dietary intake for men is 11 mg/day, for women 8 mg/day.

Food Sources of zinc:

Oysters, cooked beef tenderloin, turkey, chickpeas, roast chicken leg, pumpkin seeds, cooked pork tenderloin, plain low-fat yogurt, wheat germ, tofu, dry roasted cashews and Swiss cheese.

Vitamin E

What it does:

Scientists have not yet elucidated all of vitamin E's roles, but they hypothesize that it has a role in immune function, DNA repair, the formation of red blood cells and vitamin K absorption.

How much you need:

The RDA in men and women is 23 IU, or 15 milligrams, and because many E-rich foods come from nuts and oils, some low-fat diets may be inadequate in vitamin E.

Food Sources of Vitamin E:

Wheat germ oil. Sunflower seeds, cooked spinach, almonds, safflower oil and hazelnuts.