Fish and chips?

Options
Just how bad is fish and chips bought from a takeaway? I look online and it says 595 calories. Is that true or is not worse? Do you ever have fish and chips from a takeaway or do you avoid it completely?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of Fat and Carbs. Depends how they fit into your daily goals.
  • DeanDowney
    Options
    I have it as a rare treat and yes, it is much lower than you would imagine. I would definately avoid the Doner kebabs though! :-)
  • miss_raquel
    Options
    I'd imagine it'd be more calories than that but I'm not sure to be honest. I treat myself to fish and chips every once in a while so I don't go crazy craving it! On the other hand though if you generally eat healthy you'll find that the grease and fat from the fish and chips makes you feel ill!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    that must be a very small fish & chips for 595cals!
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    well my cod in breadcrumbs from the shop is 250 without cooking in oil and the chip shop one is way bigger i defo think more than 600
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    might be worth weighing the Fish and chips to help you gauge the calorie count better, my local chippie is more like 1000-1100 Kcals a portion
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    look if you ever want to acheive your goal and maintain it, CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. get rid of those discusting foods and live a fantastic healthy life.
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ...get a cone of chips and then a large bit of fish-eat the fish and only have a quater of the batter-the fish cooks by steaming inside the batter so it's not that terrible really.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work in a fish and chip shop. Your average medium cod, small chips is around 500 calories as the fish is actually very healthy (obviously the batter is not...) the oil never reaches the fish as the batter forms a seal around the fish - the fish is steamed inside the coating. The chips are obviously not healthy but they are far better than french fries as they are chunkier so have less surface area in contact with the oil.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i found that as well, but i only rarely treat myself to it, sometimes i really crave good chip shop chips but i have to make sure that i dont plan to eat much else for the rest of that day!!! lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    look if you ever want to acheive your goal and maintain it, CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. get rid of those discusting foods and live a fantastic healthy life.

or have fish and chips once in a while (which i do, 1 pound away from my goal) and live a fantastic healthy life....
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yummm....I LOVE fish and chips. I haven't had it in quite awhile though. I did a search on here and my local fish & chips fast food place says about the same cals that you posted. If you're like me though I HAVE to dip it in tartart sauce which bumps the calorie count way up!
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I thought that was low when looking it up the other day. I don't deny myself any food as I would go crazy if I did but I have found that eating healthy most of the time means things like that make me feel ill.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

or have fish and chips once in a while (which i do, 1 pound away from my goal) and live a fantastic healthy life....

I agree. You can live a " fantastic and healthy life" and still eat some of your favorite not so healthy foods once in awhile. It's all about finding a balance.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    http://britishfood.about.com/od/diningdrinkingtradition/a/fishandchips.htm

This has some good information.

Also I will confess that me and the OH have fish and chips from our local chippy most Friday nights. We both cycle to work and go horseriding for an hour on a Friday, so we are able to count it in our calories. I "budget" 895 cals for fish & chips.

For us it's a reward for surviving our riding lesson, depending on how mad our instructor is/which mental horses she's put us on!! :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    fish and chips from the chippy?? id say it was a lot more calories than that.
    That would be more like the calorie count of oven baked fish and chips, not deep fried
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm going home to Newfoundland at the end of the month and I'm eating fish n chips, regardless how bad it is.

I'm not anywhere near my goal and I am no expert, but my thought on the matter is once in a while you have to let yourself have bad stuff. I can get my head around not eating crap all the time but to say I will never eat it again is not something I believe is possible for me.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

This is very harsh and judgemental. I dont see no problem in enjoying a treat once in a while providing it is a rare splurge and you get a good workout in that day (and the day after) you can burn the cals off from those fish n chips no probs.

You're more likely to live a 'fantastic and healthy life' if you allow yourself your own special treats. Beleive me, I've deprived myself of my favourite foods and in the end was miserable- and ended up binging.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options

This is very harsh and judgemental. I dont see no problem in enjoying a treat once in a while providing it is a rare splurge and you get a good workout in that day (and the day after) you can burn the cals off from those fish n chips no probs.

You're more likely to live a 'fantastic and healthy life' if you allow yourself your own special treats. Beleive me, I've deprived myself of my favourite foods and in the end was miserable- and ended up binging.

I agree. And as the OP is one my friends, I can say that she does an amazing job with her eating and exercise. It's clear anyway from her ticker she's doing terrific. She was looking for advice, not a talking down to.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls, you're very kind!!!! I have to be honest, I think I've been put off for the moment ! Which is a good thing I suppose but I definitely think it is important to have what you fancy once in a while. I will have some fish and chips some time soon, but probably a half portion. I hope it doesn't make me feel ill.
    I'll work the calories off with exercise. Thanks for everyone's comments!