Where do you pull your motivation from?

Options
My heart is still in the journey to a healthy body but my motivation is dwindling. What keeps you going ?

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I remind myself how far I have come and what I have done to get there. Being healthier is my new way of life so exercise and making better food choices is a part of it. I still treat myself when i want to in moderation. I will never be a health food nut (no offense to anyone here!!!) I am a self proclaimed junk food junkie. I enjoy exercising and think about how I feel once I get going. I put on clothes that are now too big and require belts to stay on. I look at my stomach in the mirror and see how toned it is getting and how the below the belly button bulge is the smallest it has ever been!!!!! Somedays you just really need to dig deep! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, posting my daily food intake and "chatting" with a bunch of strangers (now friends) on MFP, has helped to keep me going. :-)
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Weigh in day, it can be so hard at times i know, i try and get my workouts in as early as possible or i wouldnt get them done some days, if i get hungry late and night and feel like eating bad i just go to bed xx
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A dear, cherished friend is on this journey with me and keeps me motivated. Also, I'm scared to death I'll be following exactly in my mother's health footsteps so I'm trying to change quite a few things. Just don't give up! Reach out for support when you need to.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Silence of the Lambs. I don't want to be the fat girl who gets turned in to a skin suit.

Horror movies in general really.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    being accountable to my friends. I have a FB fan page where I post my successes and failures and I HATE having to post a gain so I keep working. It helps that at least half of these people are actual real friends of mine (as in not just MFPers who while great, are not people who are part of my whole life) so that I know they'll still be there no matter what and I can't just escape them by deleting my profile ;)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean. My motivation is kind of silly. Every major event in my life that involves pictures, I hate how I look in them. Dances, proms, weddings, graduation...I'm always wearing something to try and hide my stomach or my arms or my legs or whatever. I want to look at myself in pictures and be proud. Not " oh if only I had crossed my legs differently..." I graduate from college in a year and I dont want to regret how I look in those. And when and if I eventually get married, I want to wear whatever dress I want, not one that is designed to hide my gut or boob fat. And also, my friend from hs recently gained 60 lbs...maybe even mOre than that. I don't wanna be like that. And, I'm sick of being the fat sibling.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My husband does it with me. HAving support from people you LIVE with....has been a big blessing. HE has got to the point where he doesnt log onto mfp now...because he knows how many calories he is taking in....and has learned alot. I, however, like the forums, and the support I receive from friends on MFP.... . Logging onto this site....keeps me going. I realize that cheating once a week is no big deal....that this is an ongoing journey....and I keep losing. I lost two pounds this week...and even went to a covered dish function....that had delicious chocolate cake....which I had two generous slices of....and just went back to my everyday "WATCH" of food intake the next day. lol Seeing "friends" mess up on MFP....makes me realize it is normal...and that you just KEEP GOING.
    BEst of luck to you.........and I hope that you find your motivation!!!!: )
  • vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Trying on clothes that used to fit is a big one. Also, look to the success stories section of the message boards here and browse all the people that share their victories. They are always quite inspirational to me and help keep my motivation up.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Results.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Anger, I use mfp to see everyone who is successful or the 18 year old girls who cry about looking 2 pounds.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have MS....the thought of my family having to care for me if I wind up in a wheelchair or bedridden is motivation enough.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! these are all really great! is there any special songs on your play list that keep you pumped up ??
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I can't honestly say I look for motivation anywhere in particular, except for within myself. I don't mean this in a selfish way...just more 'introspective'. I don't like depending on external forces, things, or people for motivation, because what happens if they're gone or not there after a time? Then, where would I be at?

I am motivated to go to work, not because I *want* to (even though I enjoy my job), but because I need to get paid to make a living. I work-out and watch what I eat, not because I always want to, or feel like it, but because I know my health depends on it.

On the flip side, would I go to work if I didn't get paid? Nope. Would I workout and eat healthy if I didn't 'see' any results? It would be difficult but I'd still have to say 'yes', knowing that it was at least improving my health internally. (But, thankfully, we know we'll see results if we put hard work into it!)