Hey, I'm new to myfitnesspal.com

Options
I am having a hard time figuring all this out but I guess I'll get the hang of it. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.

Replies

• lindi
    lindi Posts: 5
    Options
    I am having a hard time figuring all this out but I guess I'll get the hang of it. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.
  • huffster
    Options
    No pointers here, since I'm new, too. But welcome to MFP! I know this is a step in the right direction. Be encouraged, you CAN do it! :glasses:
  • lionfish37
    Options
    Take your time and you should be able to figure it out. Wecome and post if you need anything.

Scott
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Every single body has the ability to lose fat and gain healthy muscle. You need to work with the numbers and also experiment to know what works for your body specifically. When you first start out your metabolism has to make adjustments. Assuming you've taken on a calorie deficit your body needs a chance to believe that you're going to keep feeding it and that you're not in fact entering a famine so be patient if you don't see results instantly or if you even gain a couple of lbs. My two greatest pieces of advice are: don't weigh in too often. At first it's tempting but the fluctuations really can mess with your emotions and can actually CAUSE destructive behaviour because you can get bummed and compensate with food or lack of activity etc. And weight really does fluctuate naturally. One weigh-in is not NEARLY as important as a trend over time. ALSO, this is nothing if not a game of patience. Think stock market. The rule is that regardless of market fluctuations if you leave your investments over a very long stretch (decades!) you remain unaffected in the end. The road you are starting here has many ups and downs and its fair share of challenges but if you learn to truly trust that patience and perseverance are paramount you will ultimately succeed. Make the right choices at least 80% of the time, try to avoid major preventable set-backs and when they happen (which sometimes they will!), learn to move on immediately. Not "tomorrow" but right now. The very next time you have a chance to make a decision, big or small, make it a good one. Don't let the lapses run you.
    You can do this. Just keep following the numbers and it will work for you too smile

Read over these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to see changes over night, this is the slow and steady, proven way to lose weight. Do not quit!!!