Low Thyroid!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ccesq73
    ccesq73 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2007. I was on Weight Watchers at the time. I was within three pounds of my goal weight. All of a sudden I started gaining weight if I so much as thought about food. (This may explain why I want to scream whenever someone on this site says a calorie deficit will solve everything). The doctor put me on levothyrixine and I've never experienced any side effects. Unfortunately losing weight is really, really hard.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ccesq73 wrote: »
    I was within three pounds of my goal weight. All of a sudden I started gaining weight if I so much as thought about food. (This may explain why I want to scream whenever someone on this site says a calorie deficit will solve everything). The doctor put me on levothyrixine and I've never experienced any side effects. Unfortunately losing weight is really, really hard.

I really & truly thought I was gaining for no reason, but learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly showed me the ugly truth—I was eating way too much.

I think Hashimoto's has messed up my hunger cues—which is why I still log every day even though I reached goal six months ago.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Synthroid should be taken on its own with water preferably one hour before eating anything. I usually take my Synthroid first thing in the morning with 8 ounces of water, eating breakfast sometimes 1-2 hours after.
    I take my Vitamin D with my evening meal.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the thyroid group. Posted a big question there.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I was DXd five years ago, have been taking Levo since. It took a LONG time for my doctor to figure out what dosage I really needed. I was up and down, up and down (which is standard for Hashi's - you never really know how bad the "attack" on the thyroid will be on any give day, nor how much your thyroid is going to feel like putting out against the odds, so to speak).

I still have my ups and downs, but am at 88mcg now and that seems to be my sweet spot, at least for the past nine months or so. Going strong now. I do have my very tired days. When I do, I don't let myself get entirely inactive any more. If I have to, I do things in stages. Fold a load of laundry, sit for a few minutes. Get up and do the dishes, sit for a few minutes. And so on.

On "good" days I try to get up and actually move around. I am getting more and more active.

I'm very tired today, but not Hashi's tired (which is how I like to think of it). I have been up and at 'em clearing up the toys under the Christmas tree, taking all the Christmas garbage to the curb (my God but we created a lot of garbage this holiday), cleaning, playing with my kids. Oh, and baking bread!

Hang in there. With an autoimmune disease, it is progressive so it's likely for many of us that over time, we will have to keep "upping" our dosages. For some of us we will eventually be at our max dosage. My father-in-law is there now. His thyroid has basically lost all function after years and years of Hashi's. However, he feels stable on his dosage.

I will take the ups and downs over the years I spent before being diagnosed and receiving medication. I remember the only reason I eventually went for my thyroid blood test, which my OB had suggested due to my very heavy periods, was that I had to go to the store, was driving back and just didn't think I could make it. I just wanted to sit down before I fell down. I knew there would be a waiting period at the lab and the thought of just being able to sit in a chair with the back of my head leaning against the wall was like heaven to me. And necessary. I knew I WAS NOT going to make the drive home (which was less than two miles). I literally went for my blood test ONLY because I was too weak to drive home and I was passing the lab and suddenly remembered the blood test order in my glove box. The results came back at a TSH of just under 8 and TPO of greater than 1800. My doctor called and told me, "You are sick. You are very sick."

Those days were hell. I slept up to 16 hours per day and was bleary the other eight, trying desperately to clean...to get my work done (I work from home)...trying to be awake long enough to help my kids with their homework. I felt like the living dead. I feel like I lost at least two years of my life. They are just...the years that weren't. For me.

I am grateful there is medication and that I don't have to live that way until I die.
  • barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I am on armour thyroid med. Classic symptoms, weight gain. Bad memory, constipation, hair loss, bad nails. I have a friend who has the opposite condition. She was losing weight like crazy. And eyes were bulging. I have already
  • barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had to double the armor thyroid
    . Feeling much better hope you do too.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    barby6011 wrote: »
    Had to double the armor thyroid
    . Feeling much better hope you do too.

Good news that you're feeling better!
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Are you just hypothyroid, or do you have Hashimoto's? Hashi's is autoimmune, which means your body is attacking your thyroid. Usually the thyroid reacts to the attacks by not producing enough hormones, but sometimes it reacts by overproducing. Hence the ups & downs.

Hashi's is diagnosed by a blood test for antibodies plus an ultrasound of your neck. Ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. (If your doctor is an endo, find a new one—one you feel comfortable talking to.) A good doctor will regularly adjust your meds based on both your levels & your symptoms.
    Thanks for your answer. I don't even know why I am hypo, though I remember it was the blood test that confirmed it. I had no ultrasound at all. Maybe I should ask my doctor a couple of question. All the posts here will be helpful to focus on what to ask.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Hypothyroid male diagnosed about 10 +/- 1 year(s) ago. I've recently dropped from 225-230 down to as low as about 165. I take 150 mcg of levothyroxine daily. It's possible.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats Zhost. Weight Watchers said that men tend to lose more easily, though. It is still quite impressive, however!
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    Wow! Congrats Zhost. Weight Watchers said that men tend to lose more easily, though. It is still quite impressive, however!

Yeah I agree as a guy and being 6'2 it's funny that I can get away with about 1.8k calories and still drop weight whereas my gf has to stay around 1.2-1.3, hah.