What's for lunch today?

13»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Eggplant meatballs? These sound so yummy. Can you tell me how you make them please?!?

Sure! The recipe is from a vegetarian restaurant in New Haven that has been there for decades.

1/4 cup olive oil
    2 large eggplants, peeled and diced
    2 tbsp water
    2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
    4 oz shredded mozzarella
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup flour for rolling the eggplant balls

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the diced eggplant and stir to coat. Add the water, cover and cook about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the eggplant is very soft. Remove from the heat and turn into a bowl. Add the bread crumbs, parsley, basil, mozzarella, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
    Form the mixture into meatball size balls. Gently roll each ball in the flour to coat evenly.
    Bake in a preheated 350-degrees oven about 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes.

MY CHANGES: I use more eggplant and less bread crumbs and reduce the olive oil to 1 tablespoon. They also taste better after you cook them and they sit for a day. Lastly, don't bother rolling them in flour, it is a useless step. So, with my changes, the nutrition for one golf ball sized meatball end up being: 66 calories, 9 g carbs, 2 g fat, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber

Thanks for sharing..sounds great!

I had Jimmy Johns roast beef ("Big John") with NO mayo :)
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Thank you!!! I'm going to make them!!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    A giant spinach salad with red bell peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, celery, shrimp ceviche and raw hummus.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Tuna sandwich: 5oz can of tuna mixed with mustard on whole grain bread. Super exciting huh?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Carrots and hummus. Kinda light, but I just had a Clif Builder bar at 11 :D
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Mine was bad on sodium.

Tapioca sheets (Same as rice sticks, but a lot less calories)
    With one sliced Johnsonville Chicken chipolte cheese sausage, sauteed with chili garlic sauce.
This discussion has been closed.