Coconut Oil... Does it work?

Options
So I read an article, I think it was in Women's Health Magazine, that said using 1-2 Tbs of coconut oil a day can increase your fat burning 1-2 lbs per week... has anybody ever tried this? Does it work or is it just another weird thing to try that won't really do anything except make me feel weird about coconut for the rest of my life...?

Replies

• taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I dont know anything about it, but the reason I am posting is to ask you a question about the women's health magazine. Is it worth picking up? Sorry to go off on a tangent.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    LOL! hm.. i'd love to know if this does work.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No idea if it works for fat burning, but you can just use it in place of whatever else you are using for cooking oil. No big deal and it tastes very neutral.
  • annajade24
    annajade24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has so many health benefits you should try to incorporate it in your daily life anyway...and yes, it does work. I love it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't use it for weight loss. But it is one of the best oils out there. And it is the best moisturizer I have ever used.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/

Saturated fat is good for you!!! And if you love coconut flavor get the unrefined. I use it to cook in, I dip my meat in it. I add it to everything to increase the fat content.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've read that quite a few times and use coconut oil on a regular basis. I don't know that it magically helps me lose weight since I'm following the MFP guidelines and I can't bring myself to eat 1-2 tablespoons of the stuff. I tried, I really did! But gagging down coconut oil either on a spoon or in a warm beverage was just too much for me. I even blended it into my coffee but after a few days couldn't do it anymore. I use it to cook with and put in my smoothies so I am getting some every day but I always count it in my calories. I can say that since I've reduced the carbs and included more coconut oil I'm losing more inch wise in the abdomen every month! That part makes me happy. :)
  • ssnichole987
    ssnichole987 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @specka86: I find that I get more out of the "eat this not that" emails that I get with the subscription but the magazine is good too. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to renew but you can find good deals on subscriptions on their site. (Just don't get pulled in like I did and end up with 4 other magazines that you don't really need but that sounded good at the time! :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Someone else posted about this recently, and I directed her to an article I found, but the bulk of the important stuff I put below. I personally take no opinion on this, and have no medical training. I defer judgment to medical professionals, and when the American Heart Association says it can be detrimental to cholesterol in the long run, it's cause for careful consideration. Take this as you will, just wanted to provide some basic info.

The American Heart Association's Position

Where does the American Heart Association weigh in on coconut oil as an aid to weight loss? "I would be very pessimistic about this, says Robert Eckel, MD, the Association's spokesman on nutrition. He says he's concerned about the effects of high levels of saturated fat. "This is going to be a cholesterol-raising diet."

He says he also doubts claims that coconut oil can boost metabolism. "People have looked in the past as to whether MCTs have thermogenic properties, and I think the answer is pretty well negative. Generally, saturated fats tend not to be as well [metabolized], so if it does have any ability to promote heat generation, it's going to be minimal."

Eckel says coconut oil's effect on metabolism, if any, is modest compared with the potential for raising overall cholesterol and particularly "bad" LDL cholesterol. "Ingesting coconut oil for a short period of time will not do harm, but I'm concerned about the long haul."

Another Viewpoint

"I think coconut oil is promising, but I wish it weren't promoted as 'eat coconut oil and lose weight,'" says Glenn S. Rothfeld, MD, MAc, clinical assistant professor of family medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and medical director of WholeHealth New England in Arlington, Mass. He and co-author Deborah S. Romaine wrote Thyroid Balance: Traditional and Alternative Methods for Treating Thyroid Disorders. "The only problem for me is the lack of research." He says most of the studies have been on all the oils and the results are not specific to coconut oil.

He says MCTs have a small and indirect influence on thyroid function, affecting metabolism because they're an efficient fuel. He adds there's some suggestion that MCTs boost the levels of thyroid hormones, which are essential to metabolism, in people with low levels of those hormones. He also advises against taking coconut oil on an empty stomach as it may produce bloating and gas.

Even though three tablespoons of coconut oil represents 360 calories, Rothfeld says those calories needn't concern dieters because they're quickly converted to energy. "Calories aren't all alike," he says, giving an example of two groups in a study who were fed just once a day, one group in the morning and one at night. "They consumed the same 1,200-calorie meals, but the morning group lost weight."

Rothfeld says he doesn't see anything intrinsically bad in coconut oil although he wouldn't recommend it for someone with severe diabetes or a liver condition. "The business about oils has been so confusing," he says. "Thirty years ago, it was found that polyunsaturated oils were great. Now it's found they're not so great. It's fairly certain we eat too many grain-based oils, and olive oil becomes rancid if it's left on the shelf too long. I think it's going to turn out we need a balance of things."

(Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52214)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard about fat-burning properties but I do know a couple people that use it and like it. From what I understand, it's very similar to butter in the amount of saturated fats. It's a lot more pricey than butter however.

I personally stick with olive oil, as it has the unsaturated "good" fats.
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes it works I use organic extra virgin coconut oil, same as EVOO, also I use it on my face as a moisturizer and hair as a hot oil treatment!!! I buy mine at the health food store not a regular store!! I'll find a really great link that tells you more detail about all the positives it's used for!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Macadamia Nut oil is a better choice IMO.
  • ssnichole987
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

@knittnponder: I was thinking of trying to use it to make a salad dressing... maybe this could help make it more palatable?
  • ssnichole987
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone!

@knittnponder: I was thinking of trying to use it to make a salad dressing... maybe this could help make it more palatable?
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good choice as a salad oil, it solidifies in cool temperatures.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options

Yes, Macadamia Nut oil is a great oil. In fact, I prefer macadamia nuts above all others (well, maybe not all).
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Someone else posted about this recently, and I directed her to an article I found, but the bulk of the important stuff I put below. I personally take no opinion on this, and have no medical training. I defer judgment to medical professionals, and when the American Heart Association says it can be detrimental to cholesterol in the long run, it's cause for careful consideration. Take this as you will, just wanted to provide some basic info.

The American Heart Association's Position

Where does the American Heart Association weigh in on coconut oil as an aid to weight loss? "I would be very pessimistic about this, says Robert Eckel, MD, the Association's spokesman on nutrition. He says he's concerned about the effects of high levels of saturated fat. "This is going to be a cholesterol-raising diet."

He says he also doubts claims that coconut oil can boost metabolism. "People have looked in the past as to whether MCTs have thermogenic properties, and I think the answer is pretty well negative. Generally, saturated fats tend not to be as well [metabolized], so if it does have any ability to promote heat generation, it's going to be minimal."

Eckel says coconut oil's effect on metabolism, if any, is modest compared with the potential for raising overall cholesterol and particularly "bad" LDL cholesterol. "Ingesting coconut oil for a short period of time will not do harm, but I'm concerned about the long haul."

Another Viewpoint

"I think coconut oil is promising, but I wish it weren't promoted as 'eat coconut oil and lose weight,'" says Glenn S. Rothfeld, MD, MAc, clinical assistant professor of family medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and medical director of WholeHealth New England in Arlington, Mass. He and co-author Deborah S. Romaine wrote Thyroid Balance: Traditional and Alternative Methods for Treating Thyroid Disorders. "The only problem for me is the lack of research." He says most of the studies have been on all the oils and the results are not specific to coconut oil.

He says MCTs have a small and indirect influence on thyroid function, affecting metabolism because they're an efficient fuel. He adds there's some suggestion that MCTs boost the levels of thyroid hormones, which are essential to metabolism, in people with low levels of those hormones. He also advises against taking coconut oil on an empty stomach as it may produce bloating and gas.

Even though three tablespoons of coconut oil represents 360 calories, Rothfeld says those calories needn't concern dieters because they're quickly converted to energy. "Calories aren't all alike," he says, giving an example of two groups in a study who were fed just once a day, one group in the morning and one at night. "They consumed the same 1,200-calorie meals, but the morning group lost weight."

Rothfeld says he doesn't see anything intrinsically bad in coconut oil although he wouldn't recommend it for someone with severe diabetes or a liver condition. "The business about oils has been so confusing," he says. "Thirty years ago, it was found that polyunsaturated oils were great. Now it's found they're not so great. It's fairly certain we eat too many grain-based oils, and olive oil becomes rancid if it's left on the shelf too long. I think it's going to turn out we need a balance of things."

(Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52214)

Cholesterol raising? What part of cholesterol? Total number? HDL, LDL? Type A or B pattern LDL? Tri's? That's what I'm curious about.
  • hrshipley
    Options
    ammient3, what brand do you use? The varieties are a bit overwhelming!
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options

For cooking, sure, but for overall health benefits? No frikkin way.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm consuming 1-2 tbs a day to raise my HDL. I've read others stating reaching 100+ HDL consuming 3-4 tbs/day. Takes like 2-3 years to get there though. I can not get to used to the the extra virgin version. I'm just going to use the flavorless from now on.