Aspartame - What you don't know CAN hurt you.

Options
13»

Replies

• CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    Everybody and everyone's body is different. I personally don't use aspartame and haven't for over 10 years because it was causing me to have migranes. No migranes since I stopped! However, I don't eat tomatoes either because they make me break out in terrible hives......tomatoes are good for most people, just NOT me. I am allergic to them. My daughter is allergic to shellfish, she can't eat it. Just saying.....we all have to do what is right for us. PERIOD.

THIS! Makes sense :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's true that some people may not have any bad side affects from aspartame their entire lives, but there are a lot more who have negative side affects.
    I'm going to start with this comment. Millions of people around the world can become very ill and die just from inhaling air that contain molecules of peanuts. Should we avoid and ban peanuts because they can be responsible for killing millions of people? I had a friend in high school who nearly died because a person at the other end of the lunch table was eating peanuts with lunch (this was 15 years ago, before schools started restricting nut products.) So let's ban peanuts.

Also, methanol is not an ingredient in aspartame. It's created while the body is metabolizing the aspartame. And because aspartame is metabolized very slowly, and because the human body eliminates methanol very quickly, you can eat a metric ton of aspartame all at once and a lethal level of methanol will NEVER have time to build up. Formaldehyde is also very quickly metabolized by the human body into formic acid, which is also quickly metabolized and eliminated by the body. In other words, all of the "evil, bad" stuff that people are so afraid of with aspartame are completely harmless in reality.

Over 100 different countries around the world have conducted THOUSANDS of studies on aspartame, and they have all come to the conclusion that aspartame is safe for human consumption. I'll take the word of 100 different countries over a random, uninformed fear mongering internet article any day.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    It's true that some people may not have any bad side affects from aspartame their entire lives, but there are a lot more who have negative side affects.
    I'm going to start with this comment. Millions of people around the world can become very ill and die just from inhaling air that contain molecules of peanuts. Should we avoid and ban peanuts because they can be responsible for killing millions of people? I had a friend in high school who nearly died because a person at the other end of the lunch table was eating peanuts with lunch (this was 15 years ago, before schools started restricting nut products.) So let's ban peanuts.

Also, methanol is not an ingredient in aspartame. It's created while the body is metabolizing the aspartame. And because aspartame is metabolized very slowly, and because the human body eliminates methanol very quickly, you can eat a metric ton of aspartame all at once and a lethal level of methanol will NEVER have time to build up. Formaldehyde is also very quickly metabolized by the human body into formic acid, which is also quickly metabolized and eliminated by the body. In other words, all of the "evil, bad" stuff that people are so afraid of with aspartame are completely harmless in reality.

Over 100 different countries around the world have conducted THOUSANDS of studies on aspartame, and they have all come to the conclusion that aspartame is safe for human consumption. I'll take the word of 100 different countries over a random, uninformed fear mongering internet article any day.

This deserves a [golf clap]. Well said.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    *takes a dramatic bow*
  • ValiOcean
    Options
    I mostly agree with the author. I have used diet drink for 60 years. I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint pain, chronic migraines that started in 1978, and the list goes on. Several months ago I started reading the labels and only buying beverages sweetened with sucralose. I can't stand the taste of stevia. But a week ago I took my granddaughter to Magic Mountain, and drank Diet Coke all night at the Fright Fest. My chronic migraine has had a horrible extra kick to it, where I have to inject myself with Sumatriptan. It only take a little of the edge off. My head has hurt 24/7, with varying levels of pain since the migraines started. Beautiful rainbow auras. The loud ringing in my right ear makes the pain worse. Aspartame is not harmless. It is insidious because it is in so many products. Manufacturers don't want to pay the higher price for the better product - sucralose - that doesn't make as many people sick. Aspartame is poison.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I LOVE splenda / equal. Can't stand sweet n low.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ValiOcean wrote: »
    I mostly agree with the author. I have used diet drink for 60 years. I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint pain, chronic migraines that started in 1978, and the list goes on. Several months ago I started reading the labels and only buying beverages sweetened with sucralose. I can't stand the taste of stevia. But a week ago I took my granddaughter to Magic Mountain, and drank Diet Coke all night at the Fright Fest. My chronic migraine has had a horrible extra kick to it, where I have to inject myself with Sumatriptan. It only take a little of the edge off. My head has hurt 24/7, with varying levels of pain since the migraines started. Beautiful rainbow auras. The loud ringing in my right ear makes the pain worse. Aspartame is not harmless. It is insidious because it is in so many products. Manufacturers don't want to pay the higher price for the better product - sucralose - that doesn't make as many people sick. Aspartame is poison.
    The bolded parts are two unsupported diagnoses. Your personal experience won't help us understand the actual mechanisms to your condition. Only peer reviewed studies will do that.

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Aspartame and sucralose over excites your cells until they blow. This is a very real problem.
    The world chooses to be in denial because this kind of truth isn.t convenient for their lifestyle. However, people are also confused for the sole reason that the FDA will threaten articles that speak out about the dangers, like jailing doctors or paying people to keep the truth on the down low. Artificial sweeteners is put into the common coco-cola and promotes weight loss, targeted a general taker for the average consumer. This is what makes it dangerous. It is available everywhere and seems to fit our lifestyles more than desirably.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My Splenda is just fine. I've used it a long time, gone without it a decent amount of time, and saw no point in staying away, and came back to using it in my tea and coffee.

I sure hate the clowns who love to jump on the fear-wagon and trash this stuff. It's a clearly better alternative than the sugary crap available.

You get chemicals all the time from all sorts of sources, and you're not dead. Stop with the alarmism.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    Aspartame and sucralose over excites your cells until they blow. This is a very real problem.
    The world chooses to be in denial because this kind of truth isn.t convenient for their lifestyle. However, people are also confused for the sole reason that the FDA will threaten articles that speak out about the dangers, like jailing doctors or paying people to keep the truth on the down low. Artificial sweeteners is put into the common coco-cola and promotes weight loss, targeted a general taker for the average consumer. This is what makes it dangerous. It is available everywhere and seems to fit our lifestyles more than desirably.

Ah, the conspiracy theory (*)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

That's why half the population are stumbling around not knowing where they are while gasping for breath and speaking funny.

Nice fear mongering right there!

So far the only only side effect I have is feeling full and therefore losing weight.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jeez someone rezzed this thread again????? must have been in support of the walking dead season premiere.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    hollyk57 wrote: »
    THANK YOU for posting this!! FINALLY someone has put some decent research findings out about this topic.
    Um, what research findings would those be? I don't see anything scientific in this article, in fact there are parts that are scientifically wrong or very misleading!

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just love how the author calls aspartic acid and phenylalanine "insidious" ....uummm they are just amino acids found in much larger amounts in pretty much any protein than in aspartame ( and phenylalanine is an essential amino acid that we need because our bodies can't make it)

As for the methanol, it is NOT an ingredient in aspartame. It is actually a chemical that forms from the metabolism of aspartame. And the amount of methanol that forms from drinking a diet soda with aspartame is less than the amount that is naturally found in fruit juices, and some fruits leaving the level of formic acid and formaldehyde much less than toxicity levels.

Can't say that I can take this article seriously...at all

+1
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the breakdowns of products that are in aspartame.

I have a diet soda maybe once a week at most, when I'm in the mood.

I don't consume artificial sweeteners besides that- not because I think the're "bad" - but because I don't like how they taste. Usually too bitter and too sweet for my liking.

If you like them, good for you - enjoy them.