Homemade raw almond milk

Options
frostiegurl
frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
So, since I'm a HUGE fan of almond milk, I thought I'd do a little experiment to see if making my own would be more cost efficient and still offer me the same satisfying flavor. Boy, am I glad I live in California where I can get bulk raw almonds for 3.99/lb.

To make 4 cups of almond milk it takes one cup of whole raw almonds and 4 cups of water. Place it all in the blender and blend on the highest setting until you get a thick frothy white milk. Strain through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth and, voilà, fresh almond milk for less than buying the cartons in the store. Total cost came to ~$1.25 for 4 cups or $2.50 for 8 cups( the equivalent of the half gallons). Much cheaper and no added fillers or chemicals to worry about. Unless you drink a lot of it I would recommend making it in 4 cup batches. You can store it in the fridge for several days and if you want you can add any flavoring or sweetener to it to taste. Personally I prefer mine plain. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nice! I was just drinking some of the Silk brand Dark Chocolate Almond Milk last night....so good. I can only imagine what making it fresh is like!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online some time back and always wanted to try it, glad to see this post! I will have to give it a go!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    good tip! I'll have to try it!
  • frostiegurl
    Options
    Wanted to add that the almond meal left over can be used in various recipes and even dried and ground down into almond flour so it doesn't go to waste.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ive never had almond milk before, but this sounds great! I'll try it. = )
  • coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump for later . . . I'm a recent convert to almond milk, looking for a good recipe.
  • starpi22
    starpi22 Posts: 74
    Options
    Great idea! thanks for the information !
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love making my own, but almonds are $10/lb here on the east coast. So it's more cost efficient for me to buy it, unfortunately. :(
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea! Do you ever cook with the almond milk? Maybe in soups or curries or baked stuff? Just wondering - i have relatives in Modesto whose house is surrounded by almond orchards, so I might have to request some raw almonds to make this happen! I've seen similar recipes for making coconut milk, too, but I imagine that might not be cost effective since the coconuts are fairly expensive anyway. But you make a good point - no preservatives, no fillers, just straight up delicious.
  • frostiegurl
    Options
    I love making my own, but almonds are $10/lb here on the east coast. So it's more cost efficient for me to buy it, unfortunately. :(

ugh, that sucks. I remember when I used to live in Minnesota that wild rice was super cheap but definitely not the case here in California.

Wonder what you get there on the cheap and we can work out a trade. ;)
  • frostiegurl
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea! Do you ever cook with the almond milk? Maybe in soups or curries or baked stuff? Just wondering - i have relatives in Modesto whose house is surrounded by almond orchards, so I might have to request some raw almonds to make this happen! I've seen similar recipes for making coconut milk, too, but I imagine that might not be cost effective since the coconuts are fairly expensive anyway. But you make a good point - no preservatives, no fillers, just straight up delicious.

I do cook and bake with the milk. Basically anything that calls for milk, I use almond milk. You should definitely hit up your relatives for almonds. I'm sure they have plenty to share.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When I make it I add a pitted date and a splash of pure vanilla extract for flavor. We love it that way!
  • frostiegurl
    Options
    When I make it I add a pitted date and a splash of pure vanilla extract for flavor. We love it that way!

that sounds really good. Might have to give that a "whirl".
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    bumping for a friend
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I'll have to give this a go. I always lumped almond milk into the category of "it's cheaper and easier to buy". Guess I was wrong!

BTW - where are you getting your almonds from??
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I read it was best to let them soak overnight before blending.

Yea $1.25 is better, it's regularly $1.87-$1.99 here for certain brands, 32oz = 4 cups. I'll have to price out doing this with actual almonds.