Gas (Air) Bloat and Puffy Belly.... HELP!!

Options
Hey there,

The last few days I have been having horrid Gas (Air),Bloating and a Puffy Belly for no apparent reason and its
horrible. I try to eat the same things everyday except on the weekends its ususally different. I have been eating
Beano's like crazy and nothing is helping. My Belly looks and feels so big today andthis is driving me crazy, i want it
gone lol.

Any ideas what is causing this, Anyone else having this issue??

Thanks

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Do you eat Fiber One bars? Those have a terrible reputation around here and are nicknamed "fart bars".

Otherwise, try Gas-X, beano never worked for me but Gas-X does. You could possibly be eating too much fiber, some tolerate fiber differently.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    lol meee
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase your protein and lessen your carbs (especially in the evening). Carbs can cause bloating or dairy (cheese and milk). When I switched from skim milk to almond milk I felt less bloated.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Many people in America have a gluten intolerance and don't even know it. It gets mistaken for gas or other issues, and sounds exactly like you are describing. My advice would be to go gluten free for two weeks and then see how you feel.

I am NOT gluten intolerant, but have noticed that I do lose weight slower when I have a lot of gluten products in my diet. So I keep my grains to a minimum. For bread, I use SWG (Sprouted Wheat Grain) bread. It has less gluten than "traditional" bread. Quinoa is a great replacement for rice.

Good luck!
    God bless!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't water bloat? Too much sodium will make you retain water like crazy... you need to be drinking plenty of water to flush excess sodium out and keep the water in your body balanced. Also, if you eat a ton of carbs, you can feel bloated. Carbs take 4x more water to process in your body than fats and proteins so your body will hold on to water to process them and you can get bloated.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    lol meee

Awesomest sports bra ever!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Do you eat Fiber One bars? Those have a terrible reputation around here and are nicknamed "fart bars".

Otherwise, try Gas-X, beano never worked for me but Gas-X does. You could possibly be eating too much fiber, some tolerate fiber differently.

:laugh: I'm pretty new here so I didn't know about the nickname but that is so true. I made the mistake of giving half of one to my daughter once. It was a long day.
  • purplemimi
    Options
    Even changing for the weekend can throw your system off. Are you consuming dairy? My grandson has belly bloat when he eats dairy, so we changed him to soy or almond milk, which is delicious. Also, make sure you're drinking your water and plenty of it. Good luck! Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bloating is caused by insoluble foods, the most common causes are fiber and artificial sweeteners. Too much protein can also become insoluble and like others have said, some people cant digest dairy products.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I only eat 1 Greek Yogurt a day and I only use Milk for cereal and in my smoothies and thats it. I don't think I am eating a ton
    of Protein or Carbs but u can have a look at my diary. I am drinking about 6-8 in my water count. But my Belly is really puffy
    today and makes me look like i haven't lost any weight lol. Really uncomfortable and I usually don't have this problem very often
    but today is worse then normal.

I have used Gas X gel tabs then switched to Beano cause they seem to work better, Maybe I should try some chewables.
    I sure wish it would go away. I am open for suggestions lol.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use to have that problem until I gave up all things made of white flour. Only whole grain for me and have not had a problem. I use to live on pepsids too. No more!
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    look at your food diary recently and see if there is anything you are eating more of... you might be eating more veggies or other fiber or added a new type of dairy or something....
    I wouldn't give up fiber because that's so good for you, but examine everything else you have been eating to see if there is anything different you can eat that wouldn't affect you as bad.
    Broccoli or other specific veggies have a very gassy effect on some people....
    You might have IBS but if this is a new thing, I wouldn't worry about that just yet.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    are you eating artificial sweeteners? splenda does that to me!
  • Lamemind
    Options
    i just took a look at your diary and i noticed your taking fish oil and flax seed oil supplements. Try to not take the flax seed oil supplement for a day or two and see if you improve. If you see no improvement, stop taking the fish oil (unless it was prescribed to you by a medical doctor or recommended by a pharmacist or nurse after a lipid panel) for a day or two and see if you improve.

edit: if your having abdominal pains you should go to the doctor, he/she will be able to tell if the pain is caused by the gas or a more serious condition. You should not be having abdominal pains for more then a day. The above is assuming you have regular bloating and not a more serious condition.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I am not having any Stomach pains other then the Air Bloat feeling. I just started taking Omega fish Oil because I was told its
    good for you. I have been taking the Flaxseed Oil for awhile now and I only take 1 a day of each. i try to limit myself on chewing gum as well as it tend to cause the same feeling, but I haven't been chewing any gum lately.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Bump
  • Lamemind
    Options
    fish oil isnt perfect, I wouldn't recommend it unless you had your cholesterol checked. There are different types of cholesterol, and fish oil will make some of them worse but others better, so unless you know which ones are out of line its not really the best option to take blindly. I would recommend taking off the fish oil and seeing if you improve, bloating and gas is a side effect of fish oil (and flaxseed but since you have been taking that for a long time we can assume thats not the culprit)
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    are you eating artificial sweeteners? splenda does that to me!
    +1 this was what I came to post.

I noticed you have V8 splash in your food diary a few days ago. Is it the diet version? That has splenda. I went through these symptoms for 3-4 months back in 2005 and it took me that long to figure out it was Splenda doing it to me.

Also, it could be from the fish oil as well.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I have stopped taking the Fish Oil because i think that was the problem. I even asked the pharmacy an they said the same
    thing about is causing gas, bloat etc. Thanks for the replies and tips :)
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i have had the same problem and still have though not as bad. Drink lots of water and cut out some fibre. Its made a bit of difference for me. Mine was that bad, my partner thought i was 8 months pregnant!