Fat to Muscle????

Options
13»

Replies

• alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    And misjudging cals is easy to due. You have to factor in ones individual metabolism, what the meaning of sedentary or lightly or extremely active is to one person. I'll use myself as an example. By the numbers from lean body mass + exercise I should be eating 3200 cals to gain some weight. In reality I'm eating 4000 cals to gain weight. Where are they going I don't really know. Point is if I eat 3200 I lose weight or maintain. I'm very precise in measuring all my food and protein supp. Down to the gram. I log everything. My metabolism is just faster than normal or I consider my life active when its extremely active. Easy to misjudged. Trial and error is the only way.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    I think the misconception here is this. People don't seem to understand creating new muscle and strengthening muscle are two completely different tasks. While you may very well strengthen existing muscle tissue while on a caloric deficit, you will not build muscle. Just as you wouldnt gain fat, you won't build muscle. Strength training while on a deficit may make you look "bigger" "leaner" this is because you are losing fat and toning muscle. If your body does not have the raw material "calories" new tissue will not develop. Not muscle, not fat, nothing. Every person has a given amount of fat stores. How fat you are depends on how filled these fat stores are. When your constantly on a deficit your body can release some of these stores to be used in the muscles for energy. As many have already stated, Unless your a beginner its usually one or the other. Fat burn or muscle build. Surplus or deficit. On a deficit its about protecting lean muscle tissue not trying to build more. Stay motivated mfp!
    Ah, I get it now! Thanks man. :D

Glad you understand. Tom venuto is a very intelligent man. His literature is great and his ideas work. Not the only answer but it does work for most. Great job on your progress thus far!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Add on question: which is heavier, Fat or Muscle? If I am shrinking my fat cells and gaining muscle mass, will that make it look like I'm gaining or staying the same? I can tell when I'm losing by how clothes fit, but am very curious.

Thanks for any input!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5lbs of fat is equal to 5 lbs of muscle. Muscle just takes up less space, it's more dense. It's more important to consider body composition than the weight on the scale. A 200 lb man with 12% bodyfat is gonna look and be healthier than a 200lb man with 25% bodyfat. They both weigh 200lbs, one just has more muscle than the other.

Here is a link with a pic and a little explanation. Sorry, don't know how to insert pics.
    http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Yes muscle does weigh more it does so because it is more dense. When comparing weights of 2 things try keeping volume constant, if you do that muscle will always weigh more than fat, and that is the correct way to compare. 1 cubic foot of muscle will weigh more than 1 cubic foot of fat.

Taking your argument and moving it to food would them mean that carrots and butter have the same caloric content because 100 cals of carrots have the same amount of cals as 100 cals of butter. You completely miss the point of muscle weighs more than fat when you come back with 5lbs=5lbs.

In the same amount of space, yes, the muscle will weigh more. However, people like to use the excuse sometimes that when they gain weight, it's all due to gaining muscle, which is not always the case. I think it's important to move away from just the scale to determine the success they have in their overall health and fitness. Composition is important as well as measurements, how clothes fit, increased endurance, increased strength and the list goes on. People get discouraged and quit because of that dang number on the scale.

And please, let's be positive and supportive of each other. re: "you miss the point" everyone interprets questions and posts differently. Good day.
  • NaloMeli
    NaloMeli Posts: 17
    Options
    Here is a link with a pic and a little explanation. Sorry, don't know how to insert pics.
    http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

Thanks - that's just what I needed to read and see!!