Do you make your own bread, tortillas or wraps?

Options
VeggieMamaChristi
VeggieMamaChristi Posts: 24 Member
I am looking for recipes I can make at home for bread, tortillas or wraps. the bread we buy is 100 cal per slice and the tortillas are 130-140 per tort. Any recipes you would care to share?

Replies

• mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump

Would love to know too.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i make my own tortillas, but the calories are just as bad, but atleast they taste good! lol
  • mom2boys
    mom2boys Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For bread, use the Sara Lee Delightful whole grain bread. It's 45 calories per slice. For tortillas, I use flatout light original. It's 90 calories each.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    bump
  • devineyallen
    Options
    I would love to find a pizza crust recipe!! The store bought dough has soo much calories and fat per one serving! Which would be only like one slice of pizza!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would love to find a pizza crust recipe!! The store bought dough has soo much calories and fat per one serving! Which would be only like one slice of pizza!

When I make pizza I use a whole wheat tortilla. Put it in the oven until brown then add your toppings. Put it back into oven long enough for the cheese to melt. My kids also love these.
  • PurpleTeaMug
    PurpleTeaMug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi :D ...I just use my usual bread dough mix to make pizzas - just give it one rise and then roll them out really flat. I also make my own tomato suace topping - quite thickish for them then water it down a bit for tomato soup (fab to keep in the freezer for emergencies) :D
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I make my own whole wheat bread, tortillas, and pizza crust most of the time lately. They're not especially low-cal, but they're not loaded with preservatives and crap like the ones in the grocery store.

Tortilla recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/mexican-whole-wheat-flour-tortillas/Detail.aspx (I use olive or canola oil instead of shortening)

Pizza dough recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-wheat-and-honey-pizza-dough/detail.aspx

I don't have the bread recipe with me, but I'll try to remember to post it later.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been getting the Nature's Own whole wheat bread and it's 50 calories per slice. It's not light or anything and the slices are normal sized. I have also made wheat bread and it's delicious, but about 150 per slice. It is more dense than store bought, but so much better.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    During the Winter is when I bake bread. I have a great recipe for a "No Knead" bread which is deliscious but I can't imagine that it is low cal. It's a real crusty, chewy artisan bread which is irresistable. I don't think I will be baking anytime soon since I have given up anything made with flour and have much success losing weight. I don't miss bread at all even though I love it. Guess I miss my skinny jeans more. lol
  • trouserchili
    Options
    I make my own tortillas once in a while fortified with some unflavoured protein powder (and yes flavoured is spelled that way in Canada, so...nyah! : )) and the calories are about the same.

That being said, I'd just like to point out that the tortilla press is a contraption that was invented by the Devil. The DEVIL I TELLS YA!!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Biscuits:

1/2 cup flour
    2 Tbsp nonfat greek yogurt or sour cream
    2 Tbsp skim milk
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt (optional)

1. Combine in a bowl.
    2. Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes.

I also like lite bread which is only 35 calories per slice.
  • eating4balance
    Options

This is what I use to make two thin pizza crusts: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Master-Pizza-Dough/Detail.aspx
    *Substitute whole wheat pastry flour and lower the salt to make it more nutritious.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    If you can wade through all the yumminess on their site, King Arthur flour has tons of great whole wheat recipes for breads and other things. If you haven't worked with whole wheat flour for breads before, it is different to work with than white flour, you oil your work space instead of flouring it to knead your dough, etc-but if you read the comments on some of the recipes they will give you tips.

This is my go-to wheat bread recipe from them...

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

I like to add some crushed walnut and flaxseed to get that texture I used to like in my Milton's Whole Grain Plus bread. I take it out of the oven as soon as the timer goes off because the longer it cooks the more dry it gets. My kids love it too, and they really enjoy helping me make it.

As for tortillas, I make regular flour tortillas lol so I can't help you with anything healthy there. They are just too good to give up! I make sure I only eat one at a time though instead of munching them down one after the other like I used to. Nothing beats a still warm homemade tortilla right off the comal!

I also have a whole wheat/half white flour baking powder biscuit recipe that is delicious-my family had no idea that it had wheat flour in it! It's not technically a ww recipe though because it has white flour in it, too. I have a ww homemade pizza crust one as well that is really good. I love making homemade breads and stuff like that, it is so much tastier than store bought!
  • devineyallen
    Options
    Thanks for the pizza crust recipe help ya'll! I bought flat out flat bread to use for crust but i really want the real "crust" taste/texture. I am def gonna try the master pizza dough recipe! I hope it turns out as yummy as it sounds!
  • rmjj5
    rmjj5 Posts: 55
    Options
    Biscuits:

1/2 cup flour
    2 Tbsp skim milk
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt (optional)

1. Combine in a bowl.

I am going to try this one today. How many biscuits so it make?
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    1/2 cup flour...one biscuit/portion?
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Biscuits:

1/2 cup flour
    2 Tbsp skim milk
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt (optional)

1. Combine in a bowl.

I am going to try this one today. How many biscuits so it make?

It makes about 3 biscuits, and it was 375 degrees, not 325... Sorry!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Wow! Can you roll this out like a regular biscuit recipe instead of making drop biscuits?
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Wow! Can you roll this out like a regular biscuit recipe instead of making drop biscuits?

I'm sure you could. Maybe tripling the recipe and rolling it out would work.

For added flavor, I also like to put in different seasonings like garlic and onion powder.