Easing up on the "diet"

Options
So, i've been on a strict diet for about 5 to 6 months. Great progress during that time period. Managed a weight loss of 65 lbs. Sometimes, I suppose you can say that I am "craving" a particular food. Yes, it would be great to have it as a "cheat" meal. However, I am a sucker for food so if I am going to eat, I am going to eat everything, literally.

Last week, I already had 4 consecutive days of cheats. I gained 8 lbs but did my usual workout, which was weight training and some cardio. I managed to still lose the 8 lbs plus another pound which is 9 lbs. However, I am sure most of the weight was from water. My goal now is to gain weight (muscle mass) so, 1/2 a pound to a pound a week is great, but just hopefully it isn't fat weight.

Today..I am planning on having another "cheat" week. Not cheat meal, not cheat day, but yes, cheat WEEK. This will be my ONLY and possibly LAST cheat for this year. I don't want to keep on having that mentality of "Man, I had a cheat week for 4 days and I managed to lose all of it off. I should be fine."

Why am I wanting to do this cheat week? All summer, I was on a strict diet. I was very cautious about everything that went into my mouth. My family always invited me to go out and eat with them but I always bailed or said no. Now, since school is just right around the corner and my birthday will be on the 16th.. I decided to just enjoy myself this week and get back on track when college begins.

Replies

• corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure if you are looking for input here, as you may have already made up your mind.

But... This doesn't sound sustainable. What I am hearing is that you have not learned moderation, that you are still in an all or nothing stage. Part of this process is learning how to eat in away that you can maintain for the rest of your life. There has to be a transition period, and that is going to involve allowing yourself "forbidden" foods, and then figuring out how to put them down and not come back to them the following day. That is part of the rational behind cheat days.

A whole week of unhealthy eating just seems like a binge.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    it sounds to me like you're developing a fairly unhealthy relationship with food. while i'll certainly congratulate you on losing the 65lbs, the cost seems to be a pretty hefty one. completely avoiding any and all "delicious" food is not the way to overcome the challenge of making healthy food choices. how long do you think you can avoid family outings that involve food? altho you're not asking for any advice, i WILL say that part of your lifestyle change MUST include an ability to eat food without feeling like you can't control yourself unless you restrict yourself to say 15 different foods. hopefully as you get closer to your fitness goals you'll feel more comfortable developing a healthier relationship with food.

as a side note, occasional and purposeful indulgence in your fav foods helps reduce the need for a "strict diet" and "cheat weeks"
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I don't particularly condone "cheat" meals, days, weeks, etc. because for me nothing is really off limits in my diet. I just don't go overboard on the indulging in the pizza, beer, tacos, etc just as I don't go overboard in restricting my diet from the foods I enjoy. The key is moderation and learning how to fit it all in. But what works for me may not work for everyone. Just remember that you didn't gain all of your excess weight in a week so a week won't undo all of your progress unless you let it. Enjoy your week, and then get back to work!