appetite suppressants

Options
Any foods or supplements that naturally suppress appetite? I'm so hungry all the time. I quit smoking and so I think this has to do with my appetite increase. I've been drinking alot of coffee, which helps, but I dunno what else to do. I also drink alot of water. Have been eating mostly carbs, protiens and fats (though staying in my calorie range) maybe the fact that I'm lacking nutrients from fruits and veggies makes me hungrier? I dunno. haven't had time to make myself healthy dinners or salads, and I hardly have the time to shop for fresh produce all the time but maybe I just need to figure that out. advice?

Replies

• jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have heard that cinnamon is an appetite suppresant, but I am not sure and haven't tried it...
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    exercise! - suppresses appetite
    protein / fiber! - keeps you full
    and you're right - filling up on fruits / veggies!

when are you most hungry? maybe you can try spacing out your meals throughout the day more?
  • hardatwork45
    hardatwork45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really hope you get an answer to this question also because its seems the more I exercise the more I eat. I am a EATER and its hard, but I really need help with this one, thanks for posting
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    actually I think thats true. sometimes at work I'll suck on those atomic fire ball candies and they'll totally kill the pangs.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Any foods or supplements that naturally suppress appetite? I'm so hungry all the time. I quit smoking and so I think this has to do with my appetite increase. I've been drinking alot of coffee, which helps, but I dunno what else to do. I also drink alot of water. Have been eating mostly carbs, protiens and fats (though staying in my calorie range) maybe the fact that I'm lacking nutrients from fruits and veggies makes me hungrier? I dunno. haven't had time to make myself healthy dinners or salads, and I hardly have the time to shop for fresh produce all the time but maybe I just need to figure that out. advice?

Well, I went from a atkins diet, to a alkalarian diet. Fat supresses apetite. It was hard gettilng in all my calories doing high protein and fat diet. I try to eat 2,500 calories like this, on the high protein high fat diet, i'd be lucky if i got in 2000.

I also now the alkalarian diet I am working my way in too. I am lucky if i even get in 1,500 calories. It consist of "dark green" vegetables. WHat helps with supress the apetite following an alkalarian diet, is the fiber and nutrition dense food.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I really hope you get an answer to this question also because its seems the more I exercise the more I eat. I am a EATER and its hard, but I really need help with this one, thanks for posting

Yeah I've started exercising in the mornings and became ravenously hungry all the time.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    Definitely want to get all of your water a day...plenty of protein as well. Remember that veggies are a wonderful source of protein without the fat and misc you get with meats.

I use cinnamon, which is a natural suppresant and in the beginning of my lose I was also using OxyElite Pro (a fat burner) that suppressed my appetite.

Another way is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Its taste is horrible but tolerable. I use 1 tbsp in my water in the am, another in my water at lunch and then another in my water at dinner time.. drinking it 20 minutes before my I eat those meals. It has helped a lot.

Activity also helps. When you're moving you won't be thinking about food...however remember that as you're burning calories you're metabolism is putting in work so you will be hungry.

Make sure to eat as much of your "earned" calories as possible each day and only stay at your recommended calories on your non-active days.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Yeah I've started exercising in the mornings and became ravenously hungry all the time.

It depends on the intensity of your exercise. The lower the intensity The less hungrier you get after.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My problem is I am hungry- I have the cals to eat- but since I am not craving anything I do not know what to eat. I look at food and don't want it. I just don't eat when I get to this point and then end up eating the rest of my cals on high cal items like icecream because I am not even close to 1200 let alone 1200 net cals. Any suggestions will help!

I find this out more when I exersize a lot in one day. Example today I ran 2 miles and then biked to work (and back),

- Granola with yogurt/banana is what I had for lunch and dinner because there was nothing else I wanted- and I work in a hospital with a cafe so I have a lot of options- and it is not like I have to cook it.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options

It depends on the intensity of your exercise. The lower the intensity The less hungrier you get after.

yeah they're high intensity. pouring sweat! burn about 650 calories in an hour.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    exercise! - suppresses appetite
    protein / fiber! - keeps you full
    and you're right - filling up on fruits / veggies!

when are you most hungry? maybe you can try spacing out your meals throughout the day more?

youre right, I think I'm missing alot of fiber
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I have heard that cinnamon is an appetite suppresant, but I am not sure and haven't tried it...

if cinnimon is the trick then I'm in luck! I just figured out how to make 100 calorie french toast. Its good too!
  • ctroendle
    ctroendle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for about a month now and it's working excellently for me. I lost 40 pounds before I started using MFP, and I had success with simply eating less and exercising more.

However, I did not get results nearly as quickly as I am getting them now, and I FEEL so much better as well. MFP is suggesting 1200 calories as my pre-workout goal, and that would be really difficult to stick to if I was eating carbs. However, I don't have a problem keeping it or even going under it some days and I eat when I'm hungry.

It makes sense, considering carbs spike your blood sugar giving you a quick boost followed by a quick drop - triggering hunger. If your body learns to get its energy from your fat and not carbs (because you're not feeding it enough of them) you'll stop being hungry as often; for me it took about a week.

Besides that, I'd recommend drinking water so your stomach is full when you're out of calories, and sugar free hard candy. Both ways, it's like you're eating but you're not.

I hope you find something that works for you, good luck!
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    htwaddel, being in the mood for a particular food has to go by the wayside. Think of yourself now eating based on a prescription given by your doctor. Maybe you should go talk to a doctor.

I am working with a non-surgical weight loss physician and I have to eat a protein shake within 60 minutes of getting up to get the metabolism going. I go to bed and sleep late so I included my times but you can adjust. Here's the prescription I was given:

Up at 10 AM
    11 AM Mini, Meal 1 (shake): 25-30 g protein (so it is in milk)
    by 2 PM Main, Meal 2: Main Meals are 25 g protein, less than 20 g carbs, fat is 4-10 g
    5 PM, Mini, Meal 3: usually is a protein snack (try Health Wise, Proti, or have another shake with milk)
    7 PM, Main, Meal 4: Main Meals are 25 g protein, less than 20 g carbs, fat is 4-10 g
    9 PM, Mini, Meal 5: Usually I am having a 40 calorie no sugar added fudgsicle
    Go to bed 1 AM

I have yet to actually achieve 120 g protein in a single day and stay under 100 g carbs but I sure am trying. MFP is set up as 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat, and my calorie limit is1200 (exercise adds calories)
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I feel like a broken record on MFP lately, but my best answer is TEA! I drink several cups of tea throughout the day and they really curb my appetite and my cravings.

Check out this link about which teas are best for this:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/472278-herbal-appetite-suppressant-teas/

My favorites are dandelion root, green & white tea, and ginger root tea. There's also a "Blueberry Slim" tea made specifically for suppressing appetite that really does work for me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Protein is great for helping you not feel hungry.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    never ever skip out on breakfast, i have 2-4 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites, 1/4 cup of fat free cheese, and some fruit. usually under 250 calories