Inactive Exercise Calories

Options
Hi there everyone, I hope you can help me and sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

I am on 1530 calories a day, and usually hit about 1400-1500 each day.

I don't do any specific exercise on my working days (5 days a week) as I am standing for 8+ hours a day and I am shattered by the time I get home, although when I am used to my job (I've only been there a week) I'm planning to go to the gym and/or swim before work - it may be a push as I have an hours commute each way (leave the house at half 7, don't get back till half 7 kind of thing).

I am still reading up on threads regarding eating exercise calories, and whilst it's not specifically an exercise in itself, I was wondering how much a 250lb woman (5ft 5) would burn per hour standing? I looked a little into inactive "exercise" calories, and I wasn't sure if MFP takes into account the inactive calories we burn per day - for instance, the 1530 I have been quoted, I am guessing, is including the "inactive" exercise calories, therefore none needs to be added.

Out of curiousity more than anything, I'd like to know a rough estimate of how much I'd be burning per hour. I do quite a bit of moving around, muscle tensing and so forth, so I'm not just idle. I'm not planning to add this into my exercise log at all, just interested!

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet 8 hours a day, you should be in the "lightly active" setting, in which case, yes, it would already be accounted for.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I thought as much :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i would say your just cheating yourself including that in your exercise...i would include standing with daily activity. Even at sedentary, it includes walking a short distance, like to and from your car and what not. if you do alot of standing around and what not, just up your activity level to lightly active so it would def be included in your activity setting.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    What you could do is change your "lifestyle" from active to sedentary and see how much that changes your daily goal. That would tell you how much extra MFP is allotting you for standing all day.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What you could do is change your "lifestyle" from active to sedentary and see how much that changes your daily goal. That would tell you how much extra MFP is allotting you for standing all day.

What she said.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you get yourself a good pedometer. You probably step back and forth all day without noticing it. A pedometer should give you the number of steps, their equivant in miles, and best of all the calories burned. You can pick one up at a sports shop for $20-$30 depending upon features.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    PS. I think that you are more physically active than anyone with a desk job. So while sedentary might describe office work, it does not apply to someone standing all day at a cash register, for example.