Novice Runner

Options
I am the girl who couldn't even run for one lap on "Mile Day" in high school. I NEVER would have thought I'd EVER like running. I did the C25K program (graduated 7-23-11) and now am up to running for 3.5 miles straight... and yet, when someone refers to me as a "runner" I do a double take and say something that undermines my training so far. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I am a "runner" -- has anyone else had this issue? How long do I have to run for 3-4 times a week or how many miles do I have to conquer before I will feel like a real runner?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i am you!! lol in highschool, i was the girl who got good grades, and I went to WORK after school... lol I was never really into sports. I did cheerleading i guess, but I don't consider that a sport. But I started going to the gym, and I would run on the tredmil/ do elliptical. It kind of became a routine for me to go to the gym 3 times a week. Then after about 3 years of that, I decided to "up" my intensity, so I started running 4 miles or even 6 some days....

Well... I actually joined my colleges cross country team, and I still find it weird to call myself a runner. I don't look like a runner, and I don't really feel like I'm a runner, but I just got done running 10 miles, so I think that gives me the defination.

I believe anyone who runs regularly (in their mind.. weather it's twice a week or twice a day) is a runner.
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I started "running" back in sept. 2010. i try to run 4 times a week, 3 to 4 miles a clip. its crazy what you can do when you try...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just because you run, it doesn't mean you have to be a runner. I lift weights and strength train, I don't think of myself as a weightlifter. Then again, I hate labels in general.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i was the same! im running now whereas 6 months ago id never have thought it were possible! i used to compete pre-teens before my asthma got bad! now i have good control and can say im a runner!
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    Interesting to see other people feel this way to. I have done three 5k races this year and just the other day ran 4.7 miles in what I have decided is training for a marathon. But I still don't call myself a runner even though I just told my wife in the car today that it is the new thing in my life. What I used to be interested in I no longer enjoy as much but can't wait to run. Would have gone today but had to say no to rest my legs after my long run, which is the furthest I have ever run.