Help me break a BAD habit....

Options
So I need a good kick in the pants I think. Nearly every day on my way to work, I stop at Scooters (it's like Starbucks but better) and get a large 24 oz Mocha Smoothie (like a Mocha Frappuccino) with whip. This thing is like 400-something calories. Now I'm still staying within my calorie goal regularly, but this habit can't be good for the diet. And at $5.50 each, it's not good for my pocketbook!

Even sadder is that I have a Mr. Coffee Cafe Frappe machine so I could essentially make my own coffee smoothies at home. But Scooter's is oh so good....

Help!!!

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to have self control. How bad do you want to lose the weight?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    google the recipe
    try to copy it by modifing it to meet your needs

....then open your own coffee shop ...LOL!!!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Take baby steps! Start having it without the whip. That alone will save you loads of calories.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    My hubby and I were addicted for a very long time. It got to expensive so we cut back to once a week then we stopped. YAY!! Look at all the money I'm saving for my veggies now LOL
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Can you have it once a week and look forward to it? Or would that be harder than not having it at all? You need to find out what works for you!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lose your wallet! Leave your bankcard and money home. Leave late! I finally stopped too, but you have to want to. LOL, you just have to stop.
  • ellisa123
    ellisa123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should make it a treat rather than a regular thing....everyone needs a poison, so make this yours every Friday to celbrate it nearly being the weekend...May the force be with you!
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    try cutting down to every couple days and then twice a week to once a week.... key been thinking of it as a treat rather than a habit x
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Stop stopping at Scooter's.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Can you make your own healthy version the night before, and have it ready for yourself in the morning?

I've done that to avoid the siren call.
  • RFEndemann
    Options
    You should focus your addictions elsewhere.....have you considered smoking cigarettes?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Scoot on by Scooters and stop stopping.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Can you find some kind of compromise? I used to love the Starbucks skinny vanilla latte (grande - 130 calories and about $5) and now I've switched to the Starbucks skinny vanilla mild cafe misto (grande - 70 calories and about $3). AND....I've tried to limit having one to just 1-2 days a week!!!
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love Scooter's too! but I have a skinny vanilla latte... about 130 calories... some days I get it blended, iced or just drink it hot.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    please refer to my profile picture for your answer as to what to do
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Go once a week on your weight day as a treat. I use my favorites as incentives. I love me a Mocha Frap no whip from Starbucks, and that is a TREAT only :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I think I will just try making my own at home before I leave for work (I work the closing shift 5:30 pm - 2:00 am at my job). After all day with the kids, I look forward to getting my Scooters! Lol. But I think if I can just make it and take it with me before I leave (and I wont' have whip on the one from home either!) then I won't feel like I Need to stop. And it'll be loads healthier...I can make it with espresso still but skim milk instead of the ice cream base Scooters uses, and sugar-free sweetner and a scoop of protein powder instead of chocolate sauce.

You guys are the best, I knew I could count on my MFP peeps to help!

And no to the smoking cigs, yuck.
  • NYPossum
    Options
    It sounds like you have a habit. This week coming up, promise yourself you'll make your own coffee monday through thursday and get take out coffee as a special treat on Friday. You'll save time (waiting in line) and money! You can do anything for one week and I'll bet by Friday the coffee from Scooters will seem less important to you and you'll be proud of your self control!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you put the money in a jar every day, you would probably have enough to finance a cruise or something in no time...I know I would... :flowerforyou:
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others that suggested at least weaning yourself off the frappe to a SF vanilla latte (or other flavoring that you like). You'll save calories and pennies.

Is there anything fabulous that you can't afford at the moment? If so, putting every dollar you don't spend on a daily coffee into a fund for a specific item will give you extra motivation to save. I find I do a lot better with very specific goals rather than just "save money."