30 DS Gaining weight?

Options
Sooo frustrated!!! I didn't really work out much before and now that I'm in the middle of the 30ds, I've lost only 7 oz in two weeks where before I was losing 1 1/2 each week...Anyone else have this problem?! I'd love to say that it's muscle gain, but I heard that that was a myth =(

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    gainin muscle and seeing the scale rise.... that isn't a myth. Seriously... if i raise a peanut my weight loss stops and i gain a pound or two, especially if i do squats and workout my legs. So, don't worry. I am sure Jillian is kicking your butt! :)
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    You heard what is a myth exactly??

When you gain muscle you will not show loss on the scale, lean muscle weighs more than fat....that is why it is important to not only gauge weight loss by what is showing up on the scale but also what your measurements are as well.
  • fitness_superstar
    Options
    Muscle gain = weight gain. Honestly. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'd rather lose inches than weight.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You will gain a little lean muscle mass but not a huge amount. Part of it will also be fluid because you are really working those muscles hard. When you work you muscles hard fluid temporarily collects round then so that they can be supplied easily with the glycogen fuel they need. This can weigh a couple of pounds. It is temporary because your body will get used to what you are doing. You are almost certainly still burning as much fat, it just isn't showing much on the scales. It's a good idea to take your measurements too because you may find that you are losing inches even if the pounds aren't coming off on the scales.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst the bubble-- even though it's possible from gaining muscle, it's very likley not by much. HOWEVER, starting a new workout routine - particularly one that involves lots of strength building, your muscles are certainly going to retain water in order to properly heal. Weight fluctuations are common when starting a new strength building routine. Just keep at it and be patient, eventually it will come off. :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There's a thread on here somewhere (probably more than one) that explains this. I just started L2 and have lost nothing. The thread explained what an above poster said, about fluid retention or something. Many posters said that they didn't start losing weight (and had gained or stayed the same) until L3. You might want to try various searches for 30DS, 30 day shred, etc. I'm hoping it's true, but even if it's not, my endurance has greatly improved.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes. This happened to me. I was losing about 1.5 lbs a week until I started shred. I did not lose anything on shred. I have not lost anything since incorporating strength training into my routine. My body looks and feels amazing though.

To Fitness_superstar, you will get a lot of criticism around here for saying muscle weighs more than fat. It's a silly thing people get really frustrated about. You see, a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. A pound is a pound. But, everyone knows what is meant by the phrase. A handful of muscle is going to weigh more than a handful of fat. We get it. :)
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I've had the same issue but stick with it and you will start seeing results on the scale :)
    10132576.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • FinallyFit28
    FinallyFit28 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine, keep it up, don't let that scale discourage you. Don't forget to measure your waist; I think you'll see more results knowing that # is moving vs what the scale says. BTW, please feel free to add me on MFP. Thanks
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You heard that was a myth?...

You better start double checking your facts before you believe them.
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    Also if it helps, muscle helps burn fat faster, the more muscle you have the faster you burn fat
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The myth is that you don't gain muscle in a matter of weeks, it is more like months!!!! And the myth is very true. The other thing is muscle does not weight more then fat. A pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat. Muscle is more dense then fat so it takes up less room per pound, that is why people say to take measurements.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements. I have recently started and I have only lost 1.4 lbs but have lost 8 inches.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If working out is new to you, then you have very little muscle so you may be getting muscle. The good news is that the more muscle you ahve, the more fat you burn, jus tby doing daily activiities.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You heard that was a myth?...

You better start double checking your facts before you believe them.

Hense the post.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It takes about a month to gain a pound of muscle on average, so it's not muscle gain. Plus you can't gain weight (even muscle weight) if you are eating at a calorie deficit. What does happen, is your muscles retaining water to assist in repair and recovery, which can lead to a heavier reading on the scale.

Also, MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT, a pound is a pound, people.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I did measure and still lost 1/2 an inch off my waist...plus I feel amazing. That is until I step on the scale. Happy to hear that some of you had the same issue and that it just halted your losing for a short while. So, no muscle gain, but rather some sort of water/fluidy thing. I get it =) So long as it's something that doesn't last forever.

Thank you again, and I'll be patient!