What is a healthy low carb protein, fat, carb radio for cust

Options
So I am trying to reduce carbs and decided to customize my food diary to lower the amount of carbs I was consuming. I cannot believe that the diary was originally set on 55% carbs! Wow. I changed it to the following:

25% Carbs

45% Protein

30% Fats

I am allowed 90 carbs a day but goal is to stay 100 grams of carbohydrates or lower. What do you think?

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's a good method. I changed to an alkalarian diet. I changed from a high protein high fat, low carb diet. I do IF (intermittent fasting) I eat the majority of my calories in the evening.. I just make a ton of chicken, of fish and eat that. I could easily eat under 10 grams of carbs a day.
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I lowered my carbohydrates too. However, I have trouble eating that much protein... Even buy protein drink on the day I do muscle training and still always under
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you're aiming for ketosis, some people don't respond well to protein being over 40%, as the body might process the excess over that as carbs and knock the body out of ketosis. Something to think about...
  • parshath
    Options
    So I am trying to reduce carbs and decided to customize my food diary to lower the amount of carbs I was consuming. I cannot believe that the diary was originally set on 55% carbs! Wow. I changed it to the following:

25% Carbs

45% Protein

30% Fats

I am allowed 90 carbs a day but goal is to stay 100 grams of carbohydrates or lower. What do you think?

I'm on the same program and really enjoying it, I'm at 100g carbs or less, my body weight in protein, and the rest in fats. www.marksdailyapple.com is a website full of people doing pretty much what you are wanting to do.

This link was posted here earlier and its a really good success story!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of your feedback!

Parshath- I am reading the book The Primal Blueprint by the author of Mark's Daily Apple!
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

I'm on the same program and really enjoying it, I'm at 100g carbs or less, my body weight in protein, and the rest in fats. www.marksdailyapple.com is a website full of people doing pretty much what you are wanting to do.

This link was posted here earlier and its a really good success story!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

When I'm cutting, I do the same as mentioned above. 100g carbs or less, my lean mass in protein and the rest in good fats.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    haha, sometimes I see a topic and someone post on the topic that makes no sense, it's not even related to the question. I saw my earlier post on this topic, it looks like i was rambling about non sense.

The thing with carbs is that they effect over weight people differently than thin people. Over weight people are more sensative to carbs. Under 100grams of carbs may not be right for you. I was doing under 10grams of carbs a day. The key is to find a balance for yourself. If you're not losing any weight, lower your carbs by 10grams, try that for a few weeks and see how it goes.

The ratio 25% might be to high. If you consume 1750 calories a day, 25% of that is 109grabs of carbs. The idea is on the right track though.
  • pinkchoc
    Options
    can you change your carb intake on this programme??
  • 1_up
    Options
    You can change the % for protein, carb, fat etc by going to:

My Home, Goals, Change goals, Custom
    or
    www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • pinkchoc
    Options
    done :) thanks so much, do you know what would be a good carb amount per day if your trying to do a low carb diet???
  • 1_up
    Options
    done :) thanks so much, do you know what would be a good carb amount per day if your trying to do a low carb diet???

Most people aim for under 50g - 100g depending on which low carb diet you'd like to do and how serious you'd like to limit your carbs. There are others who end up with 25g of carbs on a normal day. I personally try to stay under 100g a day, while cutting.

Check out this link for more information if you'd like.
    http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto

Primal diet - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • pinkchoc
    Options
    i changed mine to 30% so will see how it goes, new to this programme but it looks a great tool to aid weight loss, and being able to ask questions, that you kinda feel stupid asking, on here is great :) thanks
  • 1_up
    Options
    I agree, MFP is full of great tools and it has such a helpful, supportive community. Best of luck to you :D
  • jessicamiller25
    Options
    Dropping carbs like that is good to loose quick weight for a goal such as a show, wearing a bikini for vacation or a photo session but it is hard to live like that. I dropped my carbs and was working out a lot and I found that I was so tired during the day and was beginning to get cranky (all signs of overtraining). I recently did a mix of adding calories in the form of carbs (whole grain right before and after my workout with protein) and decreasing my cardio on weight lifting days. Like someone said earlier you have to find the right combination for you. If you have low body fat then you need those carbs for your body to burn because your body does not burn protein for energy (mostly muscle repair and building). Best of luck.