Couch to 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you run every day, you run the risk of an overuse injury, as AllenHM found out.

Hehe, that prompted me to update everyone on the status of my running plan. I haven't taken a day off yet, I just do what I can until I hit the 'pain' point. Its generally about 15 minutes, but better than nothing. I made a doctors appointment, but when I called the Mom she said the same thing had happened to her. Its actually the muscles in my legs expanding (we have VERY muscular legs in our family, even if we are overweight) but combined with the icky fat already on my legs, it cuts off the blood flow. That is why my foot was going numb. In addition, I have been inspecting the way I walk - I walk on the outside of my feet, the inside sole hardly ever touches the ground (especially at higher speeds). Insoles should fix the majority of the problem. :ohwell:

I tried moving from Week 0 to Week 1 yesterday and the good news? My heart/lungs can handle it. Legs gave out before I was incredibly winded. So hopefully by Christmas I will have my insoles and 'actually' starting the program!

And to the wonderful woman who compared herself to water buffalo... Hear hear!! :drinker: :drinker: I had to move my treadmill away from the full length mirror we have on our closet doors so that I would stop laughing at myself (really got in the way of the jogging). On the upside, playing with the wobbley bits while I run keeps me entertained. :bigsmile:
  • mags06
    mags06 Posts: 29
    Options
    So after reading everyone's thoughts on this I decided to start the couch to 5K plan.

I have been jogging/walking for the past few weeks and was able to run for about 7 minutes, so I thought the first week would be a breeze....but I did the first day of the first week and it was harder than I thought, but I did it!!

I think this will be a good plan for me because it is different every week! I get bored with the same workout.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I'm starting it in January. I am hoping for enough christmas money to spend on running shoes and a good sports bra!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have to add my two cents in support of the couch to 5K. I joined the training program last March and had to walk until week 8 . My joints were in bad shape and I had been told I couldn't run. But I started walk/run in week 8. Walked the 5K at the end of the program and then did it again - this time adding more walk/run. Despite some set backs I was able to gradually increase my run until :bigsmile: I ran a 10K (the Turkey Trot) two weeks ago.

The program really works and don't be afraid to tailor it to you individual needs. There were days that I was the only one walking but I just kept showing up and the improvement came.. Sadly some of the people that overdid it at first got injured and were either sidelined or quit - so be patient with yourself :wink: And have fun!
    Bunny
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I started a couch to 5 km program about 7 weeks ago. I am about 80 pounds over weight , so I knew that it would take longer than normal but I am still sticking with it.

My question is ...
    Did you have trouble with your heart rate going too high in the allotted time that you are suppose to "run"?

I feel much better and I feel like my body is fitter but my heart rate monitor goes off after about 1 minute of running, and has for 2 weeks now, Any ideas ?
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    When I started I had about 80lbs to lose as well. I used a treadmill that had the heart rate monitor that you could grip onto for the first few weeks. I found that my heart rate was always somewhere between 145-165, and I don't think that is too high for running.

As it is right now, I am at a different gym and you have to make a special appointment to use their heart rate equipment--while that may be more accurate, I have not taken the time recently so I could check how I am doing. I hope that helps, or is at least a bit informative.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I started a couch to 5 km program about 7 weeks ago. I am about 80 pounds over weight , so I knew that it would take longer than normal but I am still sticking with it.

My question is ...
    Did you have trouble with your heart rate going too high in the allotted time that you are suppose to "run"?

I feel much better and I feel like my body is fitter but my heart rate monitor goes off after about 1 minute of running, and has for 2 weeks now, Any ideas ?

I've turned off the alarm on my monitor. I still set my range according to the program I received after a fitness test, but I do shoot up high during my running times. It's nothing after the first or second cycle to have my heart rate go into the 180's when I run. But, during the minute that I'm walking, it drops back down to 160. Then, I run, and back up to 180's. I can still breath, talking would suck, but I could get a word or two out if I had to (lol). I get to my cool down 5 minutes, and my rate is down below 140, and by the time I wipe the machine off, down to the 120's.

Oh, the range the Y set me up for was 140 to 174, which they figured after doing the 2 minute step test and two minute recovery thing... I must have a pretty hight maximum heart rate :laugh:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    hmm... makes me think either a) I am not working very hard at this, or b) my heart doesn't pump very fast.
    :grumble: :noway:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I think I generally run high... My resting is upper 70s to lower 80's

A good site that talks about heart rates and percentages...

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    the faster you recover from a high HR to a low tells you that your heart is in good shape. i recover in just under a minute in a half. it use to be 4 mins.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have seen this one on here a few times and I have never tried it but I can say keep training! I never thought I would run more than one minute and now I can run longer and faster. I do a lot of intervals but I have reached the one mile point, next a marathon :wink: :laugh: lol
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have never done the "couch to 5K" program, per se, but last year I went from not being a runner to being one! I ran eleven races, mostly 5Ks, in that first year.

The first couple of times that you run are the hardest. It gets easier more quickly than you might think. Your body is very good at adapting to whatever you ask it to do, whether that be sitting on the couch, or running 5Ks! Don't push yourself too hard in the beginning, and don't try to run fast (unless you feel like you want to, or can -- some people are just born with speed in the genes :grumble: :laugh: ). When you do run, the first few minutes are the hardest (even after you've become "a runner") as your heart adapts to pumping more oxygen, but once you get "into the groove" there will be runs that feel so good, you feel like you could go forever. Those are the runs that I live for. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Hey Thanks for all your heart rate info !!

Maybe that's it ... maybe I have my monitor set too low. The alarm goes off at 160.
    ... Or maybe you are all younger than me which makes a difference in the calculation.:smile:

To calculate my maximum I used 220 - my age 45 = 175
    It was recommended that I work between 130 and 160 (15 % under maximum effort) for optimum weight loss without stressing my heart. On the plus side my rate goes down to 120-126 after walking for a minute.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Here's a little nugget of gold that I discovered a few months ago (really made a HUGE difference in my success). The url is to a site where you'll find nine downloadable podcasts for each of the nine weeks in the program.

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

Also try this one:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

But grab it quick because DJ Steve's sponsorship is in question, and he's been saying that Podrunner may have to come to a sad end soon. :sad:

I've used his podcasts for both running and weight lifting. They are tons of fun.
  • cherapple
    Options
    If you run every day, you run the risk of an overuse injury, as AllenHM found out.

I never run every day. I always alternate cardio with strength training, so at most I run 3 days per week and lift weights 3. It is plenty to get you in shape and keep you there.
  • cherapple
    Options
    I think I generally run high... My resting is upper 70s to lower 80's

The last time I had my heart rate check by my doctor, I was in the 40s. In most people, that might be cause for alarm. In a runner, it's entirely normal.
  • stenogal
    Options
    wow! I am so proud of all of you runners and future runners!

I had always been a walker. I would see people jog right past me every day and wish I could be like them. I remember thinking that runners have such amazing legs and I want that too.:ohwell:
    Well, in May I had hit my all-time high for my weight. I am only 5 ft tall and should weigh about 120-130 and I had weighed 162. Yickes.:noway: I looked like an Oompa Loompa and I wasn't even pregnant. I had decided to do something about it.
    I bought an Ipod Shuffle (a pink one!) and began my journey. I started jogging for 1 whole song and then walk a song for about two weeks. Then I went to jogging 2 songs and walking one. That Ipod was the key to my jogging. I have to say...your mind will tell you all kinds of things if you don't have some type of music to listen to. Before I knew it I was jogging for 15 mins...then 20...and now I am up to 45 mins.

I began this journey in July and I ran my first 5K in October. I finished with my average time per mile being 9:54! Just under 10 min miles! It was an amazing feeling.
    I then ran my second 5K yesterday and I beat my time by 24 seconds! I even got some of my co-workers to run with me. I decided to run one race every month. My next run is January 10th and then one February 8th. I love it!

Oh...and I almost forgot to mention how I get lots of compliments on my legs now and my husband LOVES MY BUTT! :love: It works!!!!!!

So hang in there all of you who are thinking that this isn't for you. I started out not being able to run for 30 seconds and now I can't get enough of it!:wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Here's a little nugget of gold that I discovered a few months ago (really made a HUGE difference in my success). The url is to a site where you'll find nine downloadable podcasts for each of the nine weeks in the program.

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

Also try this one:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

But grab it quick because DJ Steve's sponsorship is in question, and he's been saying that Podrunner may have to come to a sad end soon. :sad:

I've used his podcasts for both running and weight lifting. They are tons of fun.

Thank thanks! Gonna try to get to that tonight and DL.

I just completed week 1, workout 2. :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: I'M ON MY WAY TO RUNNING A 5K!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    [...]

I thought I would pass out and die right on the treadmill, but I kept going!!
    I looked about as graceful as a drunk water buffalo with her shoelaces tied together, but I did it!!
    [...]
    I DID IT!!!

I am unbelievably stoked.:bigsmile:

WOOT WOOT!!! yeah for you!!! Just keep up the good work. And if it takes you 2x as long, no worries because 18 weeks is a lot quicker time-table than you were on before.

YEAH!

I am using your enthusiasm as a caveat for my own success. I did four intervals of 5 minutes at 9.5kph with three 3-min breaks in between the intervals. That's week five with an extra 5-min run tacked on at the end for good measure.

To quote you, Lauryn, I am unbelievably stoked:bigsmile:

YAY PIXIE!!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

My question is ...

I've turned off the alarm on my monitor. I still set my range according to the program I received after a fitness test, but I do shoot up high during my running times. It's nothing after the first or second cycle to have my heart rate go into the 180's when I run. But, during the minute that I'm walking, it drops back down to 160. Then, I run, and back up to 180's. I can still breath, talking would suck, but I could get a word or two out if I had to (lol). I get to my cool down 5 minutes, and my rate is down below 140, and by the time I wipe the machine off, down to the 120's.

Oh, the range the Y set me up for was 140 to 174, which they figured after doing the 2 minute step test and two minute recovery thing... I must have a pretty hight maximum heart rate :laugh:

My HR does about the same, topping at in the low 190s at it's highest when I'm running. I don't keep an alarm on my HRM for 'too high'.