Swim-Run Aquathon footwear advice needed!

Options
I just signed up for my first aquathon and I have a question for experienced racers about footwear. This race repeats: 1/3 mi swim, 1.5 mi trail run, 1/3 mi swim, 1.5 mi trail run. It seems like this kind of race might be won in the transitions and therefore, wearing my Vibram Five Fingers for the entire race to eliminate any shoe change would seem like a good strategy.

However, I just emailed the race director for advice and he told me to treat each section of the race separately, i.e. change into and out of shoes for each portion of the race. I don't want to go against his recommendation, but I also want to do well! (Even though it's my first aquathon, I'm a fairly competitive triathlete.) I can't find any information on the website about rules, but perhaps there are typically rules about no footwear in the water to avoid giving athletes with Vibrams this advantage? Does anyone have any experience with this type of race and how the transitions are typically handled?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just handle the transitions like you do for triathlons? You already got guidance from the race director. Don't wear shoes during the swim.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I emailed the race directed again and he said that there is no rule against footwear during the swims and I could wear the Vibrams for the whole race if I wanted to... so now I'm really not sure what to do.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think you'll get a lot of dirty looks from the other participants, especially if you are competitive and looking to place.

Wouldn't these act a bit fin-like for the swim and give you an advantage?

When in doubt, don't.

Just my two cents.