Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

questions?

Hello I'm pretty new to this going on about a week now. I think I just need some help understanding stuff. Like if I'm supposed to take on 1920 calories a day how many do I need to burn to start sliming down? And I want to bulk up a little not huge but do I need to focus on lifting now or burning the fat first?

Replies

• annmrie
    annmrie Posts: 38
    If MFP gave you those calories to take in, eat them and you will lose weight if you plug everything in correctly. Also, the fat burning and muscle building can (as far as I know) happen at the same time. Just be sure to eat the calories you burn. MFP will tell you how many calories that is when you log your exercise.
  • The number that MFP gives you for your daily goal is your BMR (basic metabolic rate) minus a deficiency (say 500 cal for a 1-2lbs a week loss) so if you eat up to the number they give you, you're automatically burning more than you're taking in even if you don't exercise. SOOO if you do exercise and feel hungry, eat back those cals you exercise otherwise you'll be in a HUGE deficiency (say 1000 cals) and that can cause your metabolism to slow down in the long run. I suggest that if you're trying to lose fat and build muscle, do a combo of cardio (say jogging, biking etc) with the strength training and eat a slightly higher protein (40% a day is typical). Hope this helps! I would also suggest reading through a lot of the older posts on the message boards. There are a LOT of the same questions that get asked and answered by a lot of people over time. :) Good luck! And glad you're here to start a change.