Avocado: Love it or Leave it?

Options
I love avocados! I could easily eat one a day. However, I am striving for major weight loss. Should I just give them up for a while? Is anyone else struggling with their major love for this fruit/ vegetable?

Replies

• sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    keep enjoying the avocados!! they are high in calories but a great source of very healthy fat. I'm not sure how you eat them now, but they are great in salads, sandwiches, smoothies and veggie dips instead of nachos and other decadent treats!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    love them, i eat at least 2 per week. they are full of good fat, and worth the calories. check this site http://www.lookcut.com/articles/avocado-and-weight-loss.html
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    avocados are good for you, why give them up??
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I love avocado... I don't eat them everyday, but I do have them a few times a week. They haven't affected my weight loss in any negative ways...

I say LOVE IT
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Worth it - I love them in salads and on my sandwichs - I try for only 1/4 of one.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to worry more about health than the amount of calories. :wink: If you love them, eat them in moderation!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am keeping my avocados....mmm :smile:
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Love it, don't leave it! but don't eat one each day, eat in moderation:) enjoy!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    aaaggghh - you must be reading my mind - I just had half a avo for lunch on some gorgeous freshly baked whole wheat bread..... the other half - and the bread keeps on calling my name!!

I am not hungry any more - but oh my god - I could easily eat that avo with another 2 slices of bread - but I am not going to - until breakfast tomorrow morning!!

I make sure that I only eat avo on my big gym days - so I have extra calories to allow for the treat (once a week - or once in a couple of weeks :-) )
  • jackieb79
    Options
    Love it and would never give it up. Just don't eat one every day and you'll be fine.
  • vulrich93
    Options
    They're good for you!! Don't give them up, just reduce the amount you have. For example, tomorrow only have 3/4 of an avocado :)
  • tclarks
    tclarks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yummy!! I couldn't leave it! Moderation is key ;)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    love 'em.

just got done with dinner that was basically fresh guac and some organic corn chips. yummy satisfying and fully of healthy fat.

also was super quick and easy to make.

Oh, and fresh too.

LOVE 'em.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Love it! They have a lot of good qualities. As a suggestion to change things up, maybe don't eat one everyday, instead go for a few days a week.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Avocados are awesome! From reading other posts, it sounds like the problem is not the avocado, but what you eat with it. Obviously, skip tortilla chips and heavy breads, but on a veggie wrap or in a salad, they are excellent and won't derail you at all. Oh, and I LOVE them on a veggie burger too (I'm vegetarian, but they were awesome on regular burgers when I ate them too)!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Love avocado. I have a recipe for a raw chocolate cake that is basically just nuts and dates and the frosting is avocado, cocoa powder and agave sweetener. Tastes just like chocolate buttercream frosting. And a very small piece satisfies a craving for sweets. My husband detests avocado and he loves that cake.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome responses. I will definitely keep on loving them, but maybe one a week! :)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Love it long time!!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    They are great for you!! I had some today in some Thai curry :) Yummm!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Love! Indulge on day where you need to eat back your exercise calories.