will power

How do you have the will power to quit pointless eating? To take away the must eat everything in sight feeling? I really need some help....also I don't exercise much...I hope I will more when I go back to school because then I will have the gym. but how do you motivate yourself to exercise?

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    What really motivates me is seeing the scale move. If I eat healthy for a couple of days, I see a mega-difference on the scale and that's usually enough to stop any bingey feelings I have.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    What motivates me is the fact that I am middle age and have to work hard to just stay in the same place.
    Use your body while you can.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    What motivates me? Life motivates me. Last year was one of the worst years of my life. I lost my cat, lost my job and what hurt the most was I lost my best friend of 36 years to a massive heart attack and he was only 49. I had exercised before but had slowed down in my 40's, but you can best believe I've ramped it up.

Get some good music on the headphones that motivates you to move, block out all of the other people in the gym (they're not looking at you anyway...at least they're not staring) and before you know it you will be breaking down barriers you never thought you would ever break through!
  • I can't always motivate myself not to eat tasty snacks for no reason. I suggest that you try to find substitutes for the things that you enjoy (I eat a small piece of refrigerated milk chocolate rather than a bar, baked veggies chips, etc...) You will notice that you are really just looking for something sweet or salty, and your body will learn to accept the substitutes!

Exercising is a hard one! It's hard to get going sometimes, but I ALWAYS feel better when I get back! ;)
    Try getting your workout clothes and shoes on, even if you aren't ready yet. That often makes me think "you've come this far, so let's just get it over with!" ;)

Good Luck!
  • ask yourself if the pointless eating is doing anything beneficial for your life? yeah it might be satisfying for 5 minutes but is it worth it? also, are you using food to fill some empty void in your life? because it won't help...I eat when I am bored/nervous/stressed but I am slowly coming to realize it doesn't help the situation at all.... usually makes it worse. and I end up eating more and more until I am mad at myself or feeling regretful
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    How do you have the will power to quit pointless eating? To take away the must eat everything in sight feeling? I really need some help....also I don't exercise much...I hope I will more when I go back to school because then I will have the gym. but how do you motivate yourself to exercise?

I have a before picture and a now picture and I don't ever want to look like that before picture again...that is more than enough motivation to not eat snacks and get up and move..i also have some pretty good friends that motivate me!
  • I agree with dmpizza, I am 26 and wish I wouldn't have squandered my teen years with the yo-yo weight loss and gain. I think the easiest way to stop mindless eating is just to stay busy, it might help something a friend told me "If hunger isn't the problem, eating isn't the answer" so then I think well what is the problem? In cases where I might emotionally eat. When it come to motivation about exercising... I guess it is just up to you to find something you can enjoy, it makes the workout feel less like work.
  • Anytime I start trying to eat right and get back in shape I go through my fridge and pantry....if it's junk food or not healthy for me it goes in the garbage! I make sure my kitchen is stocked with healthy snacks. That way if I do ever over snack I don't feel too bad since it's healthy snacks! Also I have found that if I get up in the morning and exercise before work I feel so much better. However if I decide to workout after work I am more likely not to.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    If it's emotional eating, I dunno what to tell you. If you constantly feel hungry like your brain's constantly pinging on you to eat, you may want to check into the possibility you have a blood sugar problem. I'm fine as long as I'm actively controlling my diet (I do South Beach), but when I slip up on those "special" days around those "magical" times and eat stuff I shouldn't like Ben & Jerry's, it messes me up and I wanna stuff my face again.

As for exercise, you can try finding activities that are fun for you.
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 135 Member
    I may have sent you a message before about the book Women, Food and God - I am reading it currently and it is pretty good. (It was less than $10 on amazon). You can check it out on Oprah's site too: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Women-Food-and-God-Video-and-Audio-Archive_1

Exercise was always my hardest area to find motivation. What I have found is you have to find an exercise program/type that you LOVE. Something that you want to do each day. If you don't enjoy it - you aren't going to want to do it. For me, I have to like the music of the program and the trainer. I am doing TurboFire now and I LOVE it. I WANT to do it every day and really feel like I am missing out on days I don't get my workout in. Whether it is running, walking, dancing, kickboxing, etc - figure out what you will enjoy doing. Then focus on how good you feel after you workout. Remember that feeling when you are strugglng to workout. Then Start your workout and tell yourself you will do it for at least 5 minutes - after 5 minutes you are usually into it and ready to go.

Another thing to do is have some accountability buddies that you have to report back to about your workout, your eating. People you don't want to let down. :) Support systems are a great resource for will power!!

Hope this helps!!

:)
    Erika
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    took me a while but it finally occurred to me one day that eating something tasty but not healthy might make me happy for maybe five minutes. NOT eating it, or choosing something healthy instead, is making me happy for the rest of my life.

for me, pointless snacking was nuthin' but a bad old habit i had to break. are you really hungry when you want to eat? REALLY hungry? if not, walk away. discipline gets easier with practice -- i swear. :)

as to exercise, all i'm doing right now is walking. the sense of accomplishment i have after a good walk floats my boat for at least the rest of the day. today i went five miles. next time it'll be 5.5. the positive vibes that come from something as simple as a walk are enough for me.
  • There must be a reason why you are here.... and think of that reason to keep you motivated

keep your targets short and acheivable - eg do you have a holiday coming up soon and need to get into your bathers!? (thats my current motivation - Bali in 3 wks and wearing a bikini eekkk!)

think of going shopping for clothes, something in particular that you would love to fit into :)

reward yourself as you go, and don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad day, it happens to the best of us

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
  • I read all the posts that replied to yours, and there are some really good answers there. I especially liked the one that said, if hunger isn't the problem, then eating isn't the answer. I will use that one again. I also think Music helps me to exercise. Forcing yourself to exercise is so boring, but finding activity you enjoy burns calories too, and so much easier to do. Finding an exercise buddy helps too. I finally got my husband interested in losing weight with me, so we walk together, mow together, clean and wax the car together, etc. We really enjoy taking off the calories we burned from our daily total. I hope this has helped. It has really helped me. Feel free to add me as a friend.