how accurate is the FT4?

Options
today i strapped this thing to my chest as soon as i woke up at 7 am til 6 pm when i got home from work. it said i burned 2301 calories while never reaching a target heart rate. is this accurate? how many of these should i consider excersise calories and how many are calories burned while just being alive?

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've never used mine like that...I only use it when im actually exercising. I love my ft4 though!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    If that was worn all day. . I would be measuring calories that are within your target heart rate. . Or calories that go above and beyond your normal routine. . Hope this helps.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    MFP auto calculates how much you should be burning daily for 'living' and uses that to determine your goal calories. Did you actually exercise? If not, then don't count any of it as exercise. You can look at your profile/goals to see how much MFP calculates as your daily 'living' calories and see if it is very close, but you wouldn't want to change it just due to one day's reading on your HR monitor...stress/illness/etc can make your daily calories burned vary. MFP uses an actual medical calculation for it's rate, but it isn't 100% correct for every person.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, these types of HRM can't be used all day. The equations they use to relate heart rate to calories are only valid when doing aerobic exercises. There's a good post somewhere that explains it. Unfortunately only the expensive ones like Body Bug will do that for you.
  • SUNNY613
    SUNNY613 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yea I just use it when I work out
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    see my whole day is one giant exercise. i take care of 10-14 2 year olds all day long. i do alot of dips squats swinging and stuff like that between setting up tiny tables for meals and changing diapers. also all the running around and chasing toddlers around the room
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    see my whole day is one giant exercise. i take care of 10-14 2 year olds all day long. i do alot of dips squats swinging and stuff like that between setting up tiny tables for meals and changing diapers. also all the running around and chasing toddlers around the room

Then this should be included in your "activity level" not your exercise. Select active, or very active.

Or spend $500 and get a body bug....
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Then this should be included in your "activity level" not your exercise. Select active, or very active.

Or spend $500 and get a body bug....

100% agree with this. Your activity level should be adjusted.