eating late

i was wondering what everyones input is about eating after a certain time at night? I work out daily and am usually under my calories alloted for the day but can NOT lose weight! I dont know what to do. do you think eating to late at night is a problem? sometimes i eat a snack around 10 or 11 when i get off of work. i have read that you shouldnt eat after 7 some say after 9 and others say it does not matter as long as you do not go over your calories. What do you think?

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    I work afternoon shifts. When I get home at 11:30 pm, if I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. It depends what you decide to eat then. I usually go for some peanutbutter on sara lee multi grain 45 calorie bread or oatmeal or yogurt. I wouldn't go for anything heavy like I'd normally eat around 4pm
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    does not matter
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    No, I don't think it matters what time you eat.
  • As long as you are within your calorie allowance for the 24 hr period it does not matter. Then again I work 7p-7a so my dinner is at 3am. :) But that is what I follow.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    I think it's that's an old wives tale, but people disagree. Calories are calories. Having a snack late at night is probably a good thing, but have something light if you're really scared.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    the idea is 2 hours before bed to give your body time to digest, so for each person it might be different. You might try bumping up your calories by 200 and see if that helps. you may be eating to little.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    it doesnt matter what time you eat.. if you eat anything right before bed..its best to eat some sort of protein. your body burns calories even when sleeping. and eating before bed can help regulate insulin levels.

if you arent losing weight, there could be MANY reasons. mostly its due to adaptation. our bodies adapt fairly quickly and require constant change to keep up the weight loss. our bodies are efficiency machines. they need to be in a state of homeostasis. the other things could be you arent exercising enough, or you are actually intaking too many calories. we tend to over estimate what we burn, and underestimate what we intake.

also..what is not losing to you? not losing in a few days? a week? we always fluctuate weight..its due to bloat and bowel contents.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    thanks for the input. no i do not eat like a whole meal but i may eat some low cal ice cream some peanut butter or some popcorn. If this is not the problem then what are your suggestions on how to lose the weight? I am 5'7 and weigh 130. my goal weight is 120. i may lose a few pounds or gain a few but i always return to the same 130lbs within a few days.
  • natifan2
    natifan2 Posts: 13
    I eat alot later because i eat lunch @ 1:30 at work, but then again I workout at night later also. I don't think it matters.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Doesn't matter!!

Cavemen probably worked all day to bring home and prepare a meal. Do you think they then went off to do more physical activity? I think not...I think they probably went right to sleep!

I eat the vast majority of my calories after 9 PM and I have been losing steadily, just FYI.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Perhaps you are overestimating what you are eating and the portion size throughout the day. That could account for your lack of weightloss.
  • Kywesley
    Kywesley Posts: 7 Member
    If I'm hungry then I will eat a small snack as long as I don't go over my calorie allotment. Usually it is something like one piece of bread with a bit of peanut butter or lean protein. I try to keep my larger meals during the earlier part of the day, but that is more for comfort when I do get to sleep. If you are not losing per the scale, look and see if you are having some NSV like reduced measurements, better fitting clothes, etc. That may be happening without reflecting on the scale. Good luck!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Doesn't matter!!

Cavemen probably worked all day to bring home and prepare a meal. Do you think they then went off to do more physical activity? I think not...I think they probably went right to sleep!

I eat the vast majority of my calories after 9 PM and I have been losing steadily, just FYI.

Think there is a new diet out called the Paleo diet i belive. It is supposedly based on this theory. I don't know much about it and I am in no way endorsing it. But I thought it funny I heard about this diet then read this post. There is also another one called the warrior diet that my brother has been doing. He has lost 35 pounds. he also eats whatever his allowance is all at one time. So I would say that you are safe as long as you stay in the target of your calories.