Anyone need a buddy?

Options
I just joined MFP yesterday, and I have a LONG way to go. I'm trying to find a group of buddies that have similar goals as me to work toward motivating each other through the journey...long term! I envision a group to check in with daily.

I have about 100 pounds to lose, and I plan on working toward that in baby steps - 10 pounds at a time. I just started working out (basically for the first time in my life) at the gym in the hospital where I work. I get up before work (at 5 am) to hit the gym and get myself and my step daughter off to school. I've been doing the elliptical trainer for about 30 minutes, plus some strength training. Next week, I begin working on my food intake (I can only manage one change at a time, and I've never managed to make the exercise part "stick"). I love food, I eat large portions, I eat emotionally, I eat when I'm bored, and my entire family culture involves food (to celebrate, to grieve, to spend time together...). Obviously, not only do I have a lot of weight to lose, but I also have a long way to go...

Can anyone out there relate? I look foward to getting to know you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• saryann79
    saryann79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP yesterday, and I have a LONG way to go. I'm trying to find a group of buddies that have similar goals as me to work toward motivating each other through the journey...long term! I envision a group to check in with daily.

I have about 100 pounds to lose, and I plan on working toward that in baby steps - 10 pounds at a time. I just started working out (basically for the first time in my life) at the gym in the hospital where I work. I get up before work (at 5 am) to hit the gym and get myself and my step daughter off to school. I've been doing the elliptical trainer for about 30 minutes, plus some strength training. Next week, I begin working on my food intake (I can only manage one change at a time, and I've never managed to make the exercise part "stick"). I love food, I eat large portions, I eat emotionally, I eat when I'm bored, and my entire family culture involves food (to celebrate, to grieve, to spend time together...). Obviously, not only do I have a lot of weight to lose, but I also have a long way to go...

Can anyone out there relate? I look foward to getting to know you! :flowerforyou:
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    good morning Saryann and welcome. I'd love to be your buddy. I'm always on the positive side so I can motivate you when you need it. I'm reading a lot of health books so I'll be learning some helpful tips along the way that I can pass on to you. :smile:
    Currently, I am doing a 13 week run/walk program I got from a book called:
    The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program. I'm in week 2 right now and I have been keeping a blog as to my progress.
    I look forward to getting to know you and wish you all the best!
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

I am much further on my journey than you, BUT I sarted in the same place. 100lbs to lose and all the same 'issues' I intend to stay on MFP even after I meet my goal, which I am hoping will happen sometime this summer. Am sure your looking for some buddies that are just starting out but if you would like someone that has been where you are and is proof that you CAN do this then I would be happy to be your friend. :smile:
  • saryann79
    Options
    I am most definitely NOT looking for buddies that are just starting out - just a group of friends that can support each other in the journey!

Congrats on your success so far - both of you!
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Count me in then - I just sent you a friend request
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey I am new too. I also have alot to lose.
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I too have approx. a 100 lbs. to lose and I'm an emotional eater!!!! After signing up on here I have found it fun to work out and I can't wait to put in my weight loss so I can see it on the screen and watch the amount to lose go DOWN!!! I think you'll love this place and find many amazing people that really care!

76013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I would love to be your buddy as well:smile: I have alot more weight than you to lose (about 140 lbs left) but pounds are pounds right?:wink: I think it would be great!!:drinker:

~Roni
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to be in your group. I need all the help I can. I have been battling my weight as long as I can remember. I remember my grandmother putting me on a diet during the summer between 4th and 5th grades. Before coming here and since 1/07 I have lost 50 lbs but I still have about 40 to 45 to go.
    I see most groups have a name to recognize like for the message board. Do you want to name the group or leave it?:happy:
  • saryann79
    Options
    I'm so excited to meet everyone! I just know it will be so helpful for all of us to have a group of people we can count on to check in with.

October - great idea - anyone with any ideas on what we can "name" our group. I can start a thread in the morning, with our name and the date, and there we can all check in and "discuss amongst ourselves..."

:glasses:
  • mick1jl
    Options
    I could really use some friends on my weight loss journey! My problem came after having kids... I gained 70 pounds when I was pregnant with my first son. My husband tries to be supportive, but he doesn't understand what it is like. He is very fit and has no problem staying that way! I would love to join your group, if you will let me :smile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I would love to be in this group. I have started this past Feb - March counting calories on a really loose basis. I have finally joined a gym and feel like I am making progress. So, count me in. I need support as much as you do.

I will put in a friend request.

Thanks

Kathy

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Oh buddy club! Count me in please! I have about 85 pounds to loose. I come from a very communal family (we did everything together, playing, cleaning, cooking) so dieting alone is hard!

And to Mick - ugh, I know what you mean. My DH is 5 inches taller than me and I outweigh him by a good 50 pounds. He is like - 'But you're beautiful the way you are! Why do you need to diet?!' That sounds nice in theory, but in terms of support and modivation it pretty much sucks.

Sending friend requests :drinker: :drinker:
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have about 25 pounds to loose and if you want, I'd love a group to motivate and support. I have had a very difficult time loosing this weight. I've been trying for awhile and recently joined MFP. It's been really helpful for me to log everything I eat.
  • saryann79
    Options
    We're still looking for a name for our group - once we have one, I will post the group name and date each morning so we have somewhere to meet up during the day.

First question - what does everyone need from our "support group"? What motivates you? What are your goals? What keeps you accountable?

I am motivated by "guilt." When I have belonged to things - say Weight Watchers - in the past, I have been careful because I knew someone would be looking at those numbers once a week and would say in a very supportive way "so what happened this week?" or "last week seemed much better for you." This is probably not healthy! but it does seem to work. However, with these things, I can just - not go - and then I don't have to answer. So I don't know what the answer for that is since this is the same situation - if I don't log on, if I don't make my mark on this board, etc - there is no one to answer to.

My goal is to lose 10 pounds, then 10 more - you get it. I have A LOT of weight to lose (probably will end up being more than 100 if I'm honest), and it seems really scary to consider that amount. But I have lost and can lose 10 pounds. Secondary to that, my goal is to be healthier (which losing 10 pounds will certainly do!). I have a very scary family health history and I don't want to follow that road. I want to exercise for fun because it doesn't hurt every joint in my body to move! And I want to wear cute clothes!

I'm not sure what keeps me accountable - anyone have any suggestions, here? The scale doesn't seem to do that - I just won't get on the scale if I think it will say something bad! I HOPE that this group will keep me accountable!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You can send me a request!!!!!!!!
  • mom2my2boys
    Options
    Count me in! I need all the support I can get! I have alot to lose and I'm also trying to do it 10 pounds at a time.
    My biggest thing is the exercise! I try to get up before work to do it, because of my kids and time, but I just can't get out of bed. Whoever created the "snooze" is evil! :laugh:
    107605.png
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in! I have 75-80 pounds to lose (depending where I stop).

I have a LOT of the same problems you mentioned and think some support would be great.:flowerforyou:
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group. I've been on MFP for about a month now and was wondering how to "connect" with others. I will let you know I have lost that first 10 lbs with this site and I feel wonderful. Not because I am anywhere near my goal, but because for the first time I feel in control. I can really see myself getting there. And, it's been pretty painless...I made it through Halloween and Thanksgiving. I know I will do even better with a little accountability.
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group. I just joined this site a few days ago and would love to get to know the people on here and make friends. This will be great motivation to get on the site everyday as well.

Let's get this party started!!! :drinker:

P.S. I tried thinking up a good name that others would approve of... but I failed. :tongue: