Stressed and off track HELP

Options
Have lost a couple of stones and for the last few weeks have strayed a bit and so have not lost any more weight. Over the last week I have found myself in a very stressful situation and I have overeaten dramatically on food I would not normally eat without even any pleasure but by just continually eating (mindlessly). I now find myself feeling quite ill and know I have to face these issues without resorting to food. My question is, has anyone found a successful way of dealing with this and if so, is it something they would be willing to share. I have another stone or so to lose and just want to eat healthily and make good choices. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Have you found things, as you've lost the weight, that make you feel good like food does? Substitutes for the comfort that you find in eating? For me, it was exercise, but I know it's different for other people. Self soothing with food is about making you feel better by loving your body. It's just not a very functional way of loving your body.

Also, just bear in mind that life will come at you sometimes, and you will fall off occasionally. It's no big deal. It's ok to have an occasional blow out - as long as it is just that, an occasional blow out. The secret for sustainable weightloss is not never falling off - it's knowing how to climb back up again.

You take care of yourself. It sounds like you've had a truly horrible time, and I do hope that you find a way through it. Whatever happens, don't feel bad about food - that's the last thing you need right now. Do what you need to do, handle it as best you can, and dust yourself off when it's over.

xxx
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi
    first of all relax - remember where you were when you started
    now things in life throw us off our path - i went off path for 2 months almost .
    I am trying to get back now and finding it tough but believe in what you want to achieve and the rest will come - i managed not to gain too much weight when i went off track = approx 3kgs so I am getting back into it
    its not bad to stray off tracks its a choice all you do is choose to get back on track end have fun

things to try - put a picture of the old you on the fridge door
    pick something you want as a reward - and put a picture of that on the fridge door
    then when you go to get something to eat make the choice - old self or reward the result is amazing !
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    Im not sure I can help, but I just wanted to give you some support and let you know you are not alone!
    I recently fell of track because of an illness, and felt really depressed about it. I wallowed for a few days and then I decided to take action. I know you can do so too, because you have already been successful in losing weight, so you have the tools, you know what to do! Just start fresh......and jump back into it. I know you can do it!
    You have already proven to be strong and able, so just try and remind yourself of that...and take each day at a time......dont give up, you can do it!
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I especially appreciate the emotional and the practical help. I know I need to take care of myself on many levels and need to give some serious thoughts on how best to do that. My journey started a few months ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I know how damaging these bad choices are both to my health and my emotions but it doesn't necessarily stop me. I now feel more focussed and able to be kinder to myself but if anyone else has any suggestions that would help I would love to hear them x
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you must be feeling towards the end of last year I was in a total comfort food spike which lasted for just over 6 months in which time I had managed to gain 40 lbs! Yes, 40 lbs!!!! It all started with the threat of redundancies due to massive cuts in funding for where I work (FE college), then the redundancy process with lasted 3 months and during this my mum died after suffering from Alzheimers for 15 years.

I kept putting off getting back on track with the usual I'll start .......... but never doing so until one morning I weighed myself and realised how much I had gained.

I think the best advice I can give you is to just do it and don't make any excuses. Having someone to talk things through with helps, someone who will support and encourage you and give you the chance to release stresses.

Add me as a friend if you would like to. Good luck and don't beat yourself up about falling off!