Plenty of engery... Not enough sleep!

Options
I am on week 2 of my weight lose journey, and just added exercise to my daily routine. I love the energy that it's been giving me throughout the day, HOWEVER, I think it's keeping me from sleeping through the night. Is this just an adjustment phase? Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP BUMP
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I doubt very much it's the exercise making you sleepless. Generally exercise makes people sleep better. When in the day are you doing it? And what kind of sleep loss are you experiencing?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise wakes me up and makes it harder to sleep before 3/4am ... :/
  • Fatboyspike
    Options
    It sounds like your mind is trying to work out what is going on with the new lifestyle. I found that taking away complex carbs from my evening meal, going to bed at roughly the same time every night and taking a soak in the tub before bed (with no distractions) works wonders. I try and allow for 8 hours a night but now that my metabolic rate is firing that i often wake up naturally after 6 - 61/2 hours. This is great in the summer as I was out running our local park at first light this morning but the dark winter mornings are going to be very boring! Great to hear that you're enjoying the new found energy levels. Hope this helps.
  • ostar8433
    Options
    Generally exercise makes people sleep better. When in the day are you doing it? And what kind of sleep loss are you experiencing?

Because of my work schedule, I am unable to work out in the mornings, so I've been doing it after I get off work (4:00pm). By 10:00pm, I'm winding down and ready for bed. 2:00am rolls around, and I'm wide awake.
  • chapagonzo
    Options
    This may sound odd, but try taking a warm/hot shower before bed. It def works for me.....winds me down real quick.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but try taking a warm/hot shower before bed. It def works for me.....winds me down real quick.

Sounds right to me. Have a bath or shower when you get back from working out. Settle down and watch a bit of tv. Last half hour before bed, no screen time - read, or listen to music. Screens are the enemy of sleep! :-)

Get yourself a winding down routine going, do it predictably each night, easing yourself off to sleep in a pattern your body recognises.

I don't think it's so much the exercise itself as the unaccustomed introduction of it into your evening routine that's the problem. We're creatures of habit when it comes to sleeping.