The Reverse Diet

Options
Has anyone here ever tried the Reverse Diet? I've been doing it for two days and I'm down 4lbs. Can it really be that simple. I've been eating in reverse, and what I mean by that is I eat alot of calories in the morning, a regular amount for lunch and fewer calories in the afternoon or early evening. I'm not hungry before bedtime, but I've noticed that when I wake up in the night (to go to the bathroom) I feel a little hungry, but I just go right back to sleep so no problem. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. I bought the book and it should be here today. KIM

Replies

• Kimlane70
    Options
    Has anyone here ever tried the Reverse Diet? I've been doing it for two days and I'm down 4lbs. Can it really be that simple. I've been eating in reverse, and what I mean by that is I eat alot of calories in the morning, a regular amount for lunch and fewer calories in the afternoon or early evening. I'm not hungry before bedtime, but I've noticed that when I wake up in the night (to go to the bathroom) I feel a little hungry, but I just go right back to sleep so no problem. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. I bought the book and it should be here today. KIM
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have read you should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    yeah, that's what this woman says exactly.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've read about that before - eating more earlier in the day, up to half your day's calories at breakfast (or breakfast & snack). There was even a study, and those people actually lost more, if I remember right.

But I know it doesn't work for me - I've found that the more I eat for breakfast, I am hungrier sooner in the morning. I do better with a smaller breakfast & snack in the morning.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of this diet...but I have heard of many "healthier" countries that follow the mentality.
    HUGE breakfasts, smaller lunch, teeny-tiny dinner.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have heard that this works really well. I tend to eat at my desk in the morning, so it ends up being oatmeal squares and such (which are really tasty if anyone is interested). My sister studies all of this kind of thing and it's supposed to help. Small meals with the largest being in the morning and the smallest being in the evening. Keep up the good work!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think there is some merit to this.

My biggest demon is late night snacking / bingeing. I find that if I eat more substantially in the morning it curbs those desires (the term for this is front loading).

Also if you remember a "good breakfast" used to consist of bacon, two eggs and toast. There were fewer obese people then.

I think when we have a light breakfast and lunch we are often so hungry by dinner that we lose control.

If it's working for you, run with it.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Rawr, how upsetting that it actually seems to work. I've often only had 300 or so calories by 3pm. May as well give the reverse thing a try... I just love my night time snacks :sad:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I try to balance my meals. Breakfast and lunch are usually 300 - 400 calories each. Snacks in between are usually 100-200 calories each. Dinner ends up being more, but I try to spread out the calories as much as I can during the day so I can eat less at dinner time.

I think balance is always the best option.

Interesting thought tho! It does make sense. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    Rawr, how upsetting that it actually seems to work. I've often only had 300 or so calories by 3pm. May as well give the reverse thing a try... I just love my night time snacks :sad:

I know, right.....i said if this thing works I'm gonna be so mad and so happy at the same time. I've tried soooo many diets and such to lose weight for 9 years.....years? it's crazy. i'm gonna give it my best shot for sure. i have to admit i'm a bit excited. kim
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    I am gonna keep everyone posted for sure cause if this works for me then I will won't all of you to know so at least you can have the opportunity to try it if you want to. kim
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options

I know, right.....i said if this thing works I'm gonna be so mad and so happy at the same time. I've tried soooo many diets and such to lose weight for 9 years.....years? it's crazy. i'm gonna give it my best shot for sure. i have to admit i'm a bit excited. kim

Hahaha, Kim I just went and made myself an english muffin w/ cream cheese and a scrambled egg. Holy cow, I feel so decadent... I'm with you on the reverse diet! :bigsmile:
  • Kimlane70
    Options

Hahaha, Kim I just went and made myself an english muffin w/ cream cheese and a scrambled egg. Holy cow, I feel so decadent... I'm with you on the reverse diet! :bigsmile:

I started this on Monday, and for lunch monday I ate all that good fried food from the walmart deli and I thougth that woulduv blown it, for sure, but I did the small dinner thing and had still lost the 2lbs the next morning.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a great idea, I am going to try it
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was just looking up the reverse diet thing and I thought that I was pretty right, what it is that you eat dinner foods for breakfast and breakfast food for dinner. I just looked up the reverse diet on the goggle and there are a few websites that might help out. Just a thought. I am not sure about totally eating my dinner at breakfast time but I might give it a try.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    This is how I've been maintaining my weight loss..... (since end of June)

I don't log calories anymore, I just eat basically anything I want (in a sensible portion) all day, and then dinner is sometime between 5:00 and 6:00, and it's small, and then the eating stops. If I want a snack at night, it is popcorn or calorie free jello, but in general, no eating after 6:00ish. If I feel hungry in the night, I just embrace it, and know that I am keeping the weight off!

Maintaining is much easier than I thought! So keep working toward your goals!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Okay, this officially sucks! Its great in the mornings, armed with my cream cheese muffin etc, but now its night time and I don't have a lot of calories left and all I can think about is EATING. I want everything in my fridge, the snacks in my pantry.. I want it all. :brokenheart:

Self discipline FTW!! :tongue:
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    Okay, this officially sucks! Its great in the mornings, armed with my cream cheese muffin etc, but now its night time and I don't have a lot of calories left and all I can think about is EATING. I want everything in my fridge, the snacks in my pantry.. I want it all. :brokenheart:

Self discipline FTW!! :tongue:

Today is the first day since monday that I've wanted something too. The thought of my wonderful big breakfast is keeping me from doing anything crazy. I just got the book today and I'm trying to absorb all the information as quickly as possible. I'm gonna give this my utmost devotion at least for 2 weeks and hopefully I will get into some new habits. That's really all it is is breaking old habits which let's face it, it's not always easy. You can do it. I hope you give it a try. I'm also excited to see the scale in the morning. KIM
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was just looking up the reverse diet thing and I thought that I was pretty right, what it is that you eat dinner foods for breakfast and breakfast food for dinner. I just looked up the reverse diet on the goggle and there are a few websites that might help out. Just a thought. I am not sure about totally eating my dinner at breakfast time but I might give it a try.

I eat breakfast foods at breakfast, I just increase my calories for it. and then taper off for the other meals. Lunch today was 400 cals and dinner was like 250.
  • Kimlane70
    Options

I eat breakfast foods at breakfast, I just increase my calories for it. Breakfast was 695 cals, and then I taper off for the other meals. Lunch today was 400 cals and dinner was like 250.