Injured and not sure what to do

Options
Yesterday, while out jogging, a cyclist and I collided. 2 nasty abrasions and a foot sprain later, I am unable to continue my Couch 2 5K training and this does not make me happy. Can't put any pressure on my foot at all due to the pain and the Dr. said it might be 5-6 days before I can.
Has anyone had a foot sprain before and if so - what other kind of exercises did you do? I thought about trying a stationary bike, but that would mean having to get down 2 (and back up) 2 flights of stairs.
Suggestions anyone?

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd wait 5-6 days and give that ankle a rest. I know that's not what you want to hear, but you're hurt.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd wait 5-6 days and give that ankle a rest. I know that's not what you want to hear, but you're hurt.

I agree... 6 six days is not so long in the grand scheme of things. Give your foot a chance to rest and recover. Sorry about the injury!
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    Give it time to rest...maybe some weights in the mean time but let your ankle rest and heal appropriately...Delays suck but in the long run you will be glad you let it rest. Good luck on your journey...You are doing great
  • myachinass
    Options
    Boxing! Boxing is the very best cardio you can do with a lower body injury. And it's a lot of fun. You could also try pilates, there's not really any standing. Or maybe swimming/water aerobics? Good luck. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat, but with a slipped disc...no workouts right now. As much as it pains me to see this great weather that I'd love to be outside working out in, Im not. I'd so take 5-6 days over my almost 3 weeks..!!

I say rest it, or it will only get worse!~
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

I agree... 6 six days is not so long in the grand scheme of things. Give your foot a chance to rest and recover. Sorry about the injury!

These. Outside of stretching and any upper body you can do without putting ANY weight on the ankle you need to rest rest rest! Take it from someone who has injured her ankle multiple times, if you dont rest you are setting yourself up for a bigger injury
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Definitely wait the 5 or 6 days. Last year I "pushed it" and ended up in a boot for 3 months. It's definitely better to rest for a few days than get sidelined for months.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Boxing! Boxing is the very best cardio you can do with a lower body injury. And it's a lot of fun. You could also try pilates, there's not really any standing. Or maybe swimming/water aerobics? Good luck. :)

I enjoy boxing, but I'm not sure how I'd do it. I really can't stand on the foot at all =/

I guess it's going to be resting =(
  • Trotty2004
    Trotty2004 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is such a bad break. I'm sorry for your misfortune. Maybe try swimming. Its what I do when I can't run for whatever reason and its just as good a workout.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is called, but there is a "bike" that you pedal with your hands. You are seated when you do it. Maybe your gym has one? Other than that, I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't stay off a sore ankle last summer and ended up in a brace hobbling around for several months instead of a few days. Sorry about your boo boos.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    have access to a swimming pool? that's all I got, sorry
    I guess you could do mat exercises (stretching) I LOVE stretching and think it's highly under-rated
  • wendibartel
    Options
    I suggest resting it and giving it time to heal. I would think as long as you can get to a pool with ease that wouldnt be a bad idea just to keep moving.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is called, but there is a "bike" that you pedal with your hands. You are seated when you do it. Maybe your gym has one? Other than that, I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't stay off a sore ankle last summer and ended up in a brace hobbling around for several months instead of a few days. Sorry about your boo boos.

That's a hand bike, and a good suggestion, so is swimming, so's weight training on machines.

As for the bike, I'd use a lift, get someone to carry you, or simply ask staff to move one bike for you for a couple of weeks.

Realistically, it's not like you're missing the olympics, just do what your doctor says and be super strict on your diet
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I can only imagine you mean boxing on the wii? You can't mean boxing.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would try swimming. If it hurts the foot to kick, then just swim with the arms. Great cardio.