Lighter Lemon squares

Options
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 egg white
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar, divided ( or sugar substitute makes it even fewer calories)
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, allowing the foil to extend over the pan by 2 inches. Lightly spray with nonstick spray.

Whisk together 1 cup of the flour, the salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Whisk together the eggs and egg white in a small bowl until blended.

To make the crust, with an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter in a medium bowl until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until blended. Beat in 1 tablespoon of the egg mixture and 1 teaspoon water. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until blended. Evenly press the dough onto the bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
Meanwhile, to make the filling, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup flour and the remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining egg mixture, the zest, and juice until blended.

Pour the lemon mixture over the warm crust. Bake until the filling is set, about 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Lift from the pan using the foil as handles. Cut into 16 squares.
Calories 121 per square, 22% of calories from fat,7% from protein, 71% from carbs,,2g protein,22 g carbs,13g sugar,74mg sodium,3g total fat,2g sat fat,1 g mono fat....

Replies

• marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Love this! My husband loves lemon/lime desserts and it's always hard to balance with my watching calories, carbs and fats. Thanks!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Making these for fathers day tomorrow :)
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Made these last night - the apartment smelled so good!
  • thuy5
    thuy5 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump to make these later, sounds delicious and i love lemon!