Very overweight but I want to run. Should I wait?

Options
I'm wondering if it is ok to start running again with a BMI of 33, or should I try to get it down a bit first. I used to run a lot when I was slim about 5 years ago. I am reasonably fit - I walk everywhere and I do karate twice a week. I have a good pair of running shoes suited to my feet and gait. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started running at 191... go for it.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I say run.... why wait?? But what do I know ;-) Just start very slow... You used to run before so you should recognize when you're overdoing it, I'd think.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K last year at 270lbs.. I stopped week 4 because of my knee but I didn't let my weight stop me from starting and you shouldn't either
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I was 250-260 when I started. I'm still 230 and still running. Why not? If you want to and can then go for it! If you're worried about injury just make sure you listen to your body. You should do that anyways. Good luck!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason to wait I started running at 256. Running is great! Just listen to your body!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    I started running when I weighed 254. It was slow going but there is no reason to wait. It is harder carrying more weight, but that just means you burn more calories per mile. ;-)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 31 right now I'm 192lbs & I've been doing C25K. Just did some this morning. I say go ahead & maybe start out slow to get used to it again.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're comfortable running then DO IT!!! :) Just make sure you have great shoes and the terrain you're running in softens the impact so you don't put too much stress on your joints and legs. Run for as long as you can, then walk some, run some and so forth. Soon enough you'll be running for miles! :) Good luck!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Just do it!!! Start slow and work your way up...you can do it!!! Don't wait, it's a bad idea!!! Good Luck !!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My bmi was over 40 when I started running (I started Couch25K as soon as I was light enough for the treadmill -- 250lbs). 10 months later I was 60 pounds lighter and running 4-5 miles at a time.

Running got too difficult for me while I was pregnant so I had to stop. I'm only 3.5 weeks postpartum and I'm dying to get back to running (doc told me to wait to be cleared for it at 6 week check-up :frown:)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I started at 229 = as already suggested start slowly. You might even want to start with intervals! But beware! You may drop pounds and inches a lot faster than you expected! I also alternate my run days with cross training and strength!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you can run, run look at the people on the biggest loser they run ( granted they have a team of doctors to take care of then) but of course if you start to feel bad, dizzy etc do that run a bit then walk a bit until you feel comfortable
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get started! Roll on tomorrow morning :)
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    If you have a stadium near by ( college, public in the park or etc) that allow some general public, good idea to start there, the rubbery surface much easier on the knees that asphalt. If not, I would start slow and see how it will go. Plus stretch after :)
  • cdstormer
    cdstormer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Even if you just do a minute or two of running, then walk, run, walk, you will build yourself up pretty quickly! Good luck!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am very overweight too, but I am going to be starting Week 5 of C25K. I am planning on participating in my first 5K at the end of September. I say go for it too...but listen to your body. I had to take a couple weeks off because of my knee. I am back at it though! Good luck!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    You could start with C25k and start slowly :)
    You might experience some knee pain at the beginning but it should go away. Also get fitted for correct running shoes.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good for you. If your knees start to protest too much, you might think about trying to run in the water (with "trying" bring the operative word :). It's remarkably frustrating because you can't really do it ... but it's great cardio (or was for me, anyway), and way easier on joints. Have fun!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I ran before at 215. I got shin splints and learned to stretch good so it didn't happen but nothing else posed a problem. I say start with a run/walk program(couch to 5 K) and move on up. That is how I did it but didn't work up to a 5K. I've walked one in past I was about 40 lbs lighter though.

I want to run again someday but at my weight(add almost another 100 lbs to yours) its really not safe yet. Won't stop me from walking though.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I started at around 200 :) I say go for it! I'm also a huge fan of the C25K program.