Beginner Runner

Options
I would like to find some information on becoming a better runner. I've never been much of one, even back in my athletic days. But, I'm determined to run a 5K and need some good pointers. I'd like to evaluate my mechanics a little.

Any pointers?

Replies

• dotjubilee
    Options
    I've heard that from the couch to 5k is a good website. They even have a program you can take with you that tells you when to walk or run and you build up to it in a specific amount of time
  • apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i have never been a runner but I started this app called couch to 5k. It's a 9 week program and tomorrow I graduate, entering my first 5k race at the month end and yesterday I ran 5.8km

Look at this site the plan is there do it every other day, its fool proof

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are free music download list as well in mp3 as well
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Work your way up to handling the distance before worrying about speed. Speed will come with time and continued effort. Don't neglect strength training - your arms and core really help with running, and strong quads, hamstrings, and calves will help you get up hills and protect your knees. Make sure to rest between runs, at least at frst. Some people can run every day, but beginners really shouldn't. Last - if you haven't purchased good shoes, go get some! They make a world of difference.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My best response and I'am a avid runner. Start off walking for 5 minutes, and go between 1 minute run, and 1 minute walking for about 20 minutes every other day(give muscle time to restin between days) Try extending your arms out wide, and practice breathing. Eat a little something like fruit(the sugar rush). Just pace yourself. If you really want to be technical go on the web and type in training for 5K run. So many helpful suggestion. Please remember after your run cool down with a 3 minutes walk.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    C25K FTW!
    I could barely walk a mile and now just starting week 3 I can jog for 3 minute intervals.
    Taking off days will help your body heal and be ready for the next time!
  • 1cat20
    1cat20 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just looked at the website...very good. great suggestion.
  • PatientBear
    Options
    Here's the best advice I can give you: go invest in a GOOD pair of running shoes and get fit for them at a store that specializes in running. The wrong shoes can hurt your feet or even cause injury. Have them evaluate your footfall and stride and buy a pair that is appropriate for you. The rest of it just takes time, practice, dedication and heart. Good luck!!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k works great. I never ran in my life until last August at the age of 42!

As for mechanics...if you check active.com, coolrunnings.com, and runnersworld.com, they all have great info on form, breathing, nutrition, stretches, etc.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for some information on mecahnics....foot strike, stride, etc.

I've considered the C25K program, but probably will need some info on where to start. I think that starting at the beginning would be regressive. I currenlty can run a mile or better with no issue.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    I was hoping for some information on mecahnics....foot strike, stride, etc.

I've considered the C25K program, but probably will need some info on where to start. I think that starting at the beginning would be regressive. I currenlty can run a mile or better with no issue.
    Jump in at week 4 or 5.

As far as mechanics, maybe go to a shop that specializes in running shoes. The nicer ones will have tools to scan your feet and evaluate your stride.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    anyone know of a C25K printable chart?
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1

That's the printer friendly link they have. I just highlighted the chart and when you do File -> Print, choose the radio option for "Selection". Comes out to exactly 2 pages on my printer.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    what about active.com or using the information on coolrunnings.com? maybe your local running store also offers courses? I know mine does but I'm probably in another country from you :)

eta: sorry didn't read all the responses. mine's just kind of redundant :)
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For mechanics and techinique you may want to look at Chi Running. It is sort of big in my area mostly because the guy who 'invented' and promotes it lives about 25 miles from me in Asheville, NC. Coincidentally I attended a 4 hour workshop this morning on the technique. Main reason I went was that I won the grand prize in a drawing at a running club meeting and that was the prize!

Chi running focuses on technique and mechanics. Its not widely known but the people who use it swear by it for decreasing injury and conserving energy etc. In our workshop today we were videotaped running before and then at the end of the workshop. We did exercises to learn the technique which basically focuses on using your lower core muscles to stablilize and you lean just a bit like you are falling forward and your feet follow behind instead of stepping out in front of you which is like putting the breaks on. There are arm and leg positions etc. They have a website although I'm not sure the actual technique is taught per website since there are people making their living teaching this stuff. The basic book is not expensive, around $15 and I bought it today but obviously have not read it yet. I think it may be even less expensive on Amazon.com. They also have CD's in which you can see how it looks although the best would be to do one of the workshops. They do have them over the country in larger cities and I'm sure those are listed on the website as well.

Just one option for technique/mechanics........