Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

for girls: no periods??

i already asked this a bit ago but thought i would ask again with a bit more information, because i am getting a little worried! i am 5'4" and weigh around 119-120 pounds. my body fat % is around 23%, according to an at-home scale. i exercise 3-4 times a week for about 20-30 min. i have lost about 8 pounds over this summer, eating between 1300-1500 calories per day. i have skipped my period for 3 months straight, and no, i am not pregnant. is anyone else having this happen?? is it because of cutting calories, etc.?? :(

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    If you've stopped having periods, you need to go to your doctor ASAP...
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Time to go to the doctor somethings going on
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Sometimes when your body goes into starvation mode you'll lose your period..... There's a name for it completly forget what it's called....Has to do with hormones, however, it doesn't sound like starvation mode if you are eating the right amount of calories and not overly exercising. Could possibly be stress. Hormones play a big role!

I'd recommend checking with your doctor. But I def gotta say I'd be makin an appointment asap. You don't wanna find out you have something wrong and not get it taken care of early enough!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    I havent had mine this month but I did some research and when you lose quite a bit of weight, with a lot of exercise and body fat drops that could throw off your period. I lost 7 lbs this month and exercise for about 2 hours a day 6 days a week which is a lot for me.
  • I agree 3 mo. would definitely mean a trip to the doctors.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    It could be due to increased exercise, but honestly, you should see a doctor. Getting healthier has made my body more predictable and regular in just about every way possible. Could be nothing, could be something. Very few people on here are qualified to say, and it seems like your body should have adjusted by now. Good luck to you!
  • I actually have alot of problems with this but I find that everytime I lose weight my period comes every Month and when I gain It does not come at alll I Have for more then over a year with no period I have no clue what it is I would like to know too I have went to the doctors and gave numerous amounts of Blood ! NOTHING !
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    It could be the exercise if you were not doing it and then started doing it often. Sometimes that happens,thats why many professional athletes like gymnasts have trouble getting periods. But I would certainly get checked out to make sure it is not something important causing it. Have you been taking an herb or medication to help you lose weight?
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    It could be due to increased exercise, but honestly, you should see a doctor. Getting healthier has made my body more predictable and regular in just about every way possible. Could be nothing, could be something. Very few people on here are qualified to say, and it seems like your body should have adjusted by now. Good luck to you!

true, 3 months is a bit much. When I have been sick or stressed I may skip a month or just be late but thats quite a long time.
  • im having the same issue but i think for the opposite reason, im the heaviest ive ever been and didnt get my period in july and so far not this month either. I took a pregnancy test that came back negative, but im starting to worry because besides when i was pregnant with my daughter, ive never skipped a period in my life. I dont know if its due to my size or if theirs something else going on.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Everyones different, but when I lost a large amount of weight(about 80lbs in about 6/7 months) after that I had an absence of 4 years and 3 months from my period, FOUR YEARS. I went to the gynaecologist and they chalked it up to the weight loss, after that it regulated for a while, when I gained a bit., then as I lost some I went almost 2 years, - lol Then after a 6 month lapse my gynaecologist put me on Birth control to regulate my periods and beef up my Estrogen(as they were low) and ever since then my periods are pretty much like clockwork.

It's always good to see a doctor to see if you're low to too high on anything.

Good luck.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    No guessing game here sister, get yourself to the dr, yesterday. Something is wrong, and you need to have yourself looked at.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    It could be related to weight loss but it could be so many different things, like PCOS, thyroid problems, etc. Go to the doctor.
  • helena260
    helena260 Posts: 83 Member
    Please see your doctor as soon as possible!!!!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    i already asked this a bit ago but thought i would ask again with a bit more information, because i am getting a little worried! i am 5'4" and weigh around 119-120 pounds. my body fat % is around 23%, according to an at-home scale. i exercise 3-4 times a week for about 20-30 min. i have lost about 8 pounds over this summer, eating between 1300-1500 calories per day. i have skipped my period for 3 months straight, and no, i am not pregnant. is anyone else having this happen?? is it because of cutting calories, etc.?? :(

what you have is called ammenorhea. Lots of times when someone does not weigh enough, does not eat enough, or exercises too much they will get this... but it does not look like you do any of those.... so it could be a hormonal imbalance, something could be wrong with your thyroid, you could have pcos.... but I would definitely get it checked out, maybe after you quit losing the weight it might get back to normal....
  • It's called Amenorrhea and it is very common. I talked to many doctors about it, I had it for years. But it's certainly nothing to panic over. Any type of stress, physical or psychological can cause it. Of course there can be other underlying issues, so certainly talk to your doctor about it. Also, certain medications can cause problems.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Dont let all these people freak you out! I'm going through the same thing right now except I'm going on 6 months without a period. I have been regularly seeing my primary physician AND my gynecologist about it and finally after blood work for thyroid and anemia, they realized its just because I lost a lot of weight and regularly exercise. I'm about the same size as you. I weigh 125 and I'm 5'6". I HATE birth control because it makes me depressed, mean and bloated but right now I have to be on it for 2 months to start up my period. Also they have me taking calcium pills. Just dont stress and go to your doctor when you can:) Also pray about it!
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    This happened to me too...I finally just got it but the last time I did have it was the end of May. I just started this whole exercising, eating better thing beginning of July so I'm thinking my body was just getting used to that and it threw it off.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Dont let all these people freak you out! I'm going through the same thing right now except I'm going on 6 months without a period. I have been regularly seeing my primary physician AND my gynecologist about it and finally after blood work for thyroid and anemia, they realized its just because I lost a lot of weight and regularly exercise. I'm about the same size as you. I weigh 125 and I'm 5'6". I HATE birth control because it makes me depressed, mean and bloated but right now I have to be on it for 2 months to start up my period. Also they have me taking calcium pills. Just dont stress and go to your doctor when you can:) Also pray about it!

Not trying to freak her out but there's nothing wrong with telling the OP what might be causing it and some of those conditions are not very harmless. It could be something relatively harmless but even as you said, it's better to get checked out. And not to be difficult, but in your case, if thyroid and anemia were the only things checked, the docs could have missed a LOT and their conclusion could have been premature. But hopefully things will get back on track for you.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member

I understand where you're coming from. However, just because that's your issue, she shouldn't just ignore it. Two people can have the same symptoms and one have something and the other have something completely different. It really wouldn't hurt for her to see a doctor just to be on the safe side.