Mystery Veggie: Belgian Endive

Options
winneau
winneau Posts: 139 Member
Hello there :) Does anyone have any great recipes or ideas for Belgian endives?

I've been trying to incorporate new vegetables into my diet (particularly the lower carb types) by randomly choosing an unfamiliar veggie every time I go shopping. Why not, right? It's cheap and fun and healthy :D I picked these babies up from the grocer today:

6038758343_1955c841b9.jpg

So... now what!? A quick google search tells me that I can use them basically however I want (raw or cooked, but themselves or mixed into salads, etc.) and I just don't know where to start!!!

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• YvetteBerg
    Options
    Rachel Ray uses this all the time. Check out foodnetwork.com and search away.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    That's such a great idea! I'll have to start doing that lol.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Oooh Martha Stewart introduced me to these! I'm a Martha nut. Should I be ashamed? Probably... But I'm not.

http://www.wholeliving.com/portal/site/bs/menuitem.8aad940c88036f4c713a64103373a0a0?vgnextoid=8c819760a69c9110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=endive&x=36&y=16

GIT SOME!
  • tisserin
    Options
    Hi, you have to cut them and just add oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Or, you can eat it "au gratin". You have to boiled the endive and make a bechamel sauce with a litthe gruyere. You have to roll the endive in a ham slice and and pour sauce over. Then place in oven to brown. (sorry for my bad English)
  • tastigger
    Options
    Great idea! Even though the recipes are not usually online, I highly recommend Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks. They are vegetarian & very creative when it comes to flavors & seasonings.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the websites and the tips, guys!! I'm really excited and can't wait to get started :) I'm definitely going to try more than one of these recipes, including one from Rachel Ray to use them as "boats" stuffed with some kind of seafood salad (I think she used crab, but I'll probably use a pouch of salmon or tuna), along with one from Martha Stewart that uses them in a salad with shrimp and avocado, and also serving them *au gratin* as described!! Sounds so good... I *might* just be adding endives to my regular veggie rotation <3

I really appreciate your input!