College Snacks...HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a large bag of nuts in my backpack (or whatever bag you're carrying) to quell hunger pangs during those long hours in the library. Individual sized yogurts are also great (I like the kind that come with granola that you can add to it, but you could always bring your own) and carrot sticks with individual 100 calorie packs of hummus.

I now teach college students and they seem to bring full meals to class (it doesn't bother me since class is 12:30-2:30...sometimes I get hungry watching them though!). They usually bring sandwiches, fruit and veggies, and I tend to see a lot of kashi granola bars (probably because they're cheaper to buy by the box than cliff bars). I also usually bake for my students about once a month...usually cranberry or zucchini muffins or cookies without added sugar and with whole wheat flour...they seem to like it (or at least they eat it!). Maybe your instructors will bake for you too!
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    You will need more than snacks for those long days....you need real food--some good protein. What about cans of tuna or chicken. Carry a can opener and some little mayo packets if you need them.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    like everyone else said, nuts are a good idea. you can get trail mix at walmart for cheap. just put it in a ziploc bag before your day and viola! a quick snack. I carry around apples a lot. i just cut them up in the morning, add a little lemon juice to keep them from browning (like a drop or two, not much) and put it in a ziploc and i'm good to go.

also, there is a tupperwear you can buy that is in the shape of a sandwich so you could make a sandwich and put it in that. i'll put it in a ziploc bag before i put it in the tupperwear so i dont have to wash it every time but it's really handy because it's just big enough to fit a sandwich on normal bread. doesnt take up too much space in my backpack :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options
    I also usually bake for my students about once a month...usually cranberry or zucchini muffins or cookies without added sugar and with whole wheat flour...they seem to like it (or at least they eat it!). Maybe your instructors will bake for you too!

can you be my professor? mine never bake for me... if they ever hand anything out its like cookies and brownies lol nothing healthy.
  • Jesslaks2790
    Options
    Hey my favorite is raisins ans sunflower seeds (without the shell). This snack also helps with sweet cravings. If you don't like raisins, no problem.. any dried fruit will do!! Hope this helps!
  • kalisentatic
    Options
    I don't like any pre-packaged stuff like 100 calorie packs, because they come out way too expencive. Try some almonds (that would be around 7 calories each, so pack 14 of those for 100 calories), any dried fruit (dates, apricots, etc). Banana chips are good too.
    Apples, oranges and firm pears are great choices if you like fruit, and they would not go all gross even after 8 hours in a backpack.
    If you like meaty stuff, go for turkey jerky.

As for snack bars, I like kind bars, the ones with added protein - they aren't cheap though, but worth it.

Also, you could invest in some food containers, lunch bag and an ice pack (any sports store has it). Pack your lunch, throw it into the baggie with an ice pack - and voila, you can carry a full meal with you in your improvised miniature refrigirator.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    I also usually bake for my students about once a month...usually cranberry or zucchini muffins or cookies without added sugar and with whole wheat flour...they seem to like it (or at least they eat it!). Maybe your instructors will bake for you too!

can you be my professor? mine never bake for me... if they ever hand anything out its like cookies and brownies lol nothing healthy.

Ha! I only do it on days where I should be giving back students' assignments or exams but I haven't marked them all yet...it's my way of distracting them but also giving myself an excuse to eat baked goods! Or during exam reviews to calm the students down. I once brought dried fruit, but it didn't go over very well. I actually received a few course evaluations at the end of the semester where students complained about the dried fruit!
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    nuts!, almonds, peanuts. Rice cakes!
  • mynameiscarrie
    Options

Ha! I only do it on days where I should be giving back students' assignments or exams but I haven't marked them all yet...it's my way of distracting them but also giving myself an excuse to eat baked goods! Or during exam reviews to calm the students down. I once brought dried fruit, but it didn't go over very well. I actually received a few course evaluations at the end of the semester where students complained about the dried fruit!

i would have eaten the dried fruit... apricots and apples please ;)
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options

Hah where do you teach....that's where im going next year! You sound like a really nice Professor!
  • lynn1982
    Options

Hah where do you teach....that's where im going next year! You sound like a really nice Professor!

Can't share that! But it's in Canada... Don't call your profs nice until you see how they grade! ;)
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options

Can't share that! But it's in Canada... Don't call your profs nice until you see how they grade! ;)

Oh sorry...good idea:) LOL well the fall semester i had three nice teachers and haha i think they graded AWESOME...since i got two A's and a B...but i see what you mean lol!
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    Pre-bag you some kind of nuts- cashews, peanuts, walnuts, or even mixed nuts....Also some wheat thins are good to pack-I put mine in the side pocket of my backpack so they wont break to much, I also bring the peanut butter crunch bars(by nature valley) But they are kinda messy to eat-they have lots of crumbs as u eat...Fresh fruit like apples i also keep in the side pocket of my backpack
  • blueberrypancakes
    Options
    checkout starbucks bistro boxes
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    Granola bars that don't have a lot of chocolate in them (so they won't melt in the hotter temps) are my go-to for snacks at school. Actually, they're my go-to for ANY snack that involves me not being at home for a while. :P

My boyfriend recently got me hooked on those tuna lunch kit things (forget what brand they are, but there's probably multiple kinds anyway). They're portable, good, and not that bad for you, either. =)

You can do the gronola bars with chocolate just freeze a water bottle half full (or buy a 6 pack of the mini water bottles and drink a little out of bottle) then stick it in the freezer over night, it'll keep your chocolate cold and provide you with a cold drink as it melts
  • Eunified
    Eunified Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm a student and all these suggestions are super helpful!!!!!! Good Question!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars, cereal bars, nuts, crackers, just anything small. If you do eat at the dorms eat a healthy sandwich. I always enjoyed granola with strawberry yogurt and a salad. Don't gain the freshman 15 or 30 in my case. lol
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    granola bars...(cliff, luna, etc)
    rice cakes
    almonds or trail mix
    dried fruit! yumm:)
    veggie straws (members mark sensible portions)
    cinnamon apple straws
    all natural fruit strips (you can get them at target)