weight fluctuating throughout the day?

Options
i weighed myself for the first time since starting my diet today... been eating 1200 calories a day and exercising for about 7 weeks now in the hope of loosing about 1.5 pounds a week, i dont own scales so usually just take the opportunity to weigh myself when at a friends house, did this tonight and i weigh EXACTLY the same as i did 7 weeks ago... :ohwell:

My question is how much does your average persons weight increase by throughout the day? i know its best to weigh in the morning but as i said i dont own scales so just take the opportunity where i can... feeling really disheartened now as thought i would've lost at least 6 or 7 pounds by now!! :frown:

Replies

• shadykins
    Options
    Its hard to say because everybody is different but it is important to weigh yourself around the same time each day and using the same scales as each scale can be different also. Dont be discouraged by the number on the scale. If you are exercising a lot you are not going to notice it as much but exercise is very beneficial and will help youu lose it faster in the long run.
  • janiecorona
    Options
    This morning I weighed myself in at 210 about 10 minutes later I was 220, which I know is not true since I definitely haven't gained 10 lbs. Since, I weighed in last week at 212 and have been exercising and being under my calories, 210 is a lot closer to where I should be, so I choose to believe that. Don't get discouraged, it's definitely possible it's fluctuation.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrated you feel! I can flucuate up to 5 lbs throughout the day - so I try and do it the same time every day that I weigh. Keep up the good work - even if you didn't lose pounds did you notice your clothes fitting better? Sometimes inches show before weight loss!! GOOD LUCK!
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    Mine fluctuates around 3lbs at night, before/during TOM its not uncommon for me to fluctuate 5lbs.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i weighed myself for the first time since starting my diet today... been eating 1200 calories a day and exercising for about 7 weeks now in the hope of loosing about 1.5 pounds a week, i dont own scales so usually just take the opportunity to weigh myself when at a friends house, did this tonight and i weigh EXACTLY the same as i did 7 weeks ago... :ohwell:

My question is how much does your average persons weight increase by throughout the day? i know its best to weigh in the morning but as i said i dont own scales so just take the opportunity where i can... feeling really disheartened now as thought i would've lost at least 6 or 7 pounds by now!! :frown:
    believe it or not but I can vary 5-8 lbs from morning to night. I weigh 212 or so in the morning and when I get home I weigh around 216-217. Don't weigh at night and record that weight! Fluids weight a ton
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I've seen myself swing ~6 lbs or so within a 24 hour period. We're living organisms... If you blow your nose, you've just lost some weight. If you drink some water, you've just gained some weight.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, I know that's hard... I can way up to 5 pounds more at the end of a day depending on how much I eat, water intake and workout intensity. Plus if you have been working out consistently your muscles store extra water which adds weight as well. That will dissipate as they get stronger and used to the added activity. If you are doing the right things day to day you will lose. Don't let the dreaded scale get you down!! Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Generally first things in the morning after going to the washroom but before eating or drinking anything is the best time to weight. Once you eat or drink anything, you are weighting that food and water as well. I would suggest get a measuring tape and don't worry about the scale at all. A tape can be gotten for a couple of bucks, and will be more useful than weight for measuring progress. Just so you know your weight can fluctuate several 4-5 pounds or more throughout the day.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It could be the scales you use too. Scales are rarely accurate. More often than not they are a gauge to how you're doing. My scale always weighs me in 3 pounds under the doctors scale.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I can be as much as five pounds heavier after my email meal than I am in the morning before I have anything.
  • JulieTX86
    JulieTX86 Posts: 303
    Options
    Are you at least using the same friends scale or is it different scales at different friends houses? There scales could be calibrated completely different from each other. If its always been the same scale then the time of day could definitely influence the number as well.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've seen myself swing ~6 lbs or so within a 24 hour period. We're living organisms... If you blow your nose, you've just lost some weight. If you drink some water, you've just gained some weight.

Or along this same thread- if you take a poop you may lose some weight. Don't fret. Sometimes the scale lies. Just keep with your goals and you will see results. Maybe do some measurements too!
  • emtess123
    Options
    thanks for all the info guys, feeling a bit more possitive about it all now... just very disheartening when you think you've been doing so well and you haven't changed a bit! haven't really noticed a difference in my clothes to be honest, not noticing much at all even though i am sticking to my goal more a less everyday... i must just have a really slow metabolism! *must not give up!*
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You say you as sticking to your goal more or less. Consistency for the majority of the time is what is needed. Maybe you do have a slow metabolism, but make sure you are measuring your food carefully. Don't just eyeball it, and even with pre-packaged stuff be careful as their measurements are not always that accurate. A good digital kitchen scale is very helpful. The best purchase I made for keeping track of what I eat, along with measuring cups and spoons. They will do a lot to make sure you are actually eating the calories you think you are because often when people think they have a slow metabolism, there is nothing wrong with their metabolism but with their measuring or consistency. I do know some people take a while before things start showing on either the scale or the measuring tape but when they start they go quickly for a while. Keep at it, you can do this.