b12 injections

Options
Does anyone know if you can give yourself b12 injections anywhere besides your upper arm? I have to do this for a lifetime and was thinking maybe it would be good to move them around. Is it bad to keep givign them in my arm?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've gotten injections in my hip, but I agree, your Doc can provide the best answer for you.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Upper thigh for doing it yourself, gluteus maximus (your butt) if someone can do it for you. Size of needle depends on your size, ask your doctor to give you a diagram with injection sites
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I give myself my b12 injections in my upper arms butt and stomach, why do you have to do it for a lifetime?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You might be able to do it in your upper quad too.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have anemia problems, the doctor said a lifetime
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I got stabbed in the butt with one once.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i have anemia problems, the doctor said a lifetime

And the anemia can't be corrected with diet changes? I had anema about three years ago and had to take liquid iron. Recently I started a new way of eating and the iron in my blood is now (to quote the nurse) 'off the charts'. Just wondering ... lifetime is a long time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just eat meat?
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can have B12 deficiency anaemia which is a life long condition and cannot be corrected by diet. It is caused by your body being unable to absorb the B12.
  • nurseymanda
    nurseymanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We typically give B12 in the arms in the hospital I work at, and it is fine to use just your arm, but if possible try alternating between left and right. You could also use your thigh (the middle point between your knee and hip along the line where your jeans hem would be. Those are the best muscles.
  • rhan90
    rhan90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's odd, my doctor has never mentioned anything about injecting myself. I have to have them every 2-3 months (although 3 months is a bit of stretch) for the rest of my life.I have pernicious anaemia, although the tests weren't conclusive, my doctor is sure thats what it is. Basically, the cells in my stomach that are supposed to secrete an enzyme to break down B12 don't work. Therefore, it just passes right on through and doesn't get absorbed, so no matter how much B12-rich food I eat, or how many tablets, my RBC and B12 just got steadily lower until I started having the shot regularly. As far as I know, B12 deficiency from diet isn't all that common compared to iron problems, so it's a bit of a shame many people automatically assume its a problem thats easily preventable by eating well.

How often do you need to have your shots?